Is there much different between actice vs passive pickups for pinch harmonics,

Thinking about getting actives into my H-251 however, I like the tone from the stock pickups they sound great, but how would say adding actives affect pinch harmonics, I find pinchies to be sorta... dull they still have that sound but they don't really "scream"
your technique will get it to sound better, but turning up the gain will reduce the need to rely on technique.

higher output pickups = more gain effect

try picking at the halfway point where the harmonic is between the fretted note and your bridge.
Quote by BoL7z
Is there much different between actice vs passive pickups for pinch harmonics,

Thinking about getting actives into my H-251 however, I like the tone from the stock pickups they sound great, but how would say adding actives affect pinch harmonics, I find pinchies to be sorta... dull they still have that sound but they don't really "scream"

Then you're not doing it right :P
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Technique! Technique! AND TECHNIQUE!
Try adding vibrato to your pinch harmonics thats how they are made to "scream"
Up the gain. If you like the tone of your pickups now then don't change them. You should be able to do pinches relatively easy on humbuckers, especially hot ones, and in combination with your 6262 it'd be a breeze. I'm guessing it's your technique, not the pickups that make the harmonics duller.

Hope that helps
I've heard zakk wylde-esque stuff done on a strat with single coils before now so I'm not sure its the pickups.
SMILE!
Ah cool thanks I do get some awesome ones sometimes, I guess it's just a matter of slowly getting them out, For some reason my GRG170dx Owns pinchies where as my other guitars don't sound as "screamy" perhaps low action has something to do with it?
Low action can limit pinch harmonics somewhat on lower strings yes but only if its stupidly low.
Quote by iampeter
your technique will get it to sound better, but turning up the gain will reduce the need to rely on technique.

try picking at the halfway point where the harmonic is between the fretted note and your bridge.

Mhmmm... Yes, yes. The Zakk Wylde method. Im partial to this method as well as I'm a hack player just like his AA dropout ass.

I would say they don't scream due to your vibrato maybe? I know for me, when I do them squealies, I am violently shaking that string.

It also could have to do with how you hold the pick or where you pick. Basically, rule out your technique first before you go on to buy more gear.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Pinch harmonics are all about technique. As I often say on here, if you're good at them then you can get pinch harmonics ringing out clearly on an acoustic guitar. As far as pickups go, active and passive makes no difference. Active pickups can pick up on a lot of missed overtones that passives don't see, but that won't make a pinch harmonic ''scream'' more; it really only effects partial harmonics and obscure percussive effects. So long as your pickups have good clarity, that's all you really need.

If you want to cheat and get pinch harmonics ringing out louder without putting in the time to learn how to do 'em properly, turning up the gain or adding artificial compression does help to an extent, but only if you can get the harmonic ringing properly for at least a fraction of a second to begin with.

Quote by iampeter

Not true, preamp volume (gain) and output work quite differently. If you have quite high (be it from pickups or otherwise) output and put it through standard gain, less overtones are lost and the clipping is slightly more random. If you have quite standard output and put it through a higher gain setting, clipping becomes more uniform and more overtones are lost. A lot of people just hear "a wall of noise" and can't tell the difference, but to the trained ear there is a difference and it's quite important. This is why Angus Young uses very high output pickups and simply cranks his master volume instead of using the preamp volume to get his distortion whilst Dave Grohl cranks the gain and uses lower output pickups; and then you've got Adrian Smith who tends to use a bit of both.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I find generally speaking that active pickups are a little better than passives at bringing out pinch harmonics. But perhaps more importantly, bright sounding pickups will always do better than warmer sounding ones.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
If you really want super screaming pinch harmonics learn to control your vibrato and incorporate a wah.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
i switched the stock duncans in my RR3 to a single EMG 85 and it squeels much MUCH better.

also getting them to scream is the hardest part, i myself can only do it 1 or 2 out of 10 tries. just try to keep as much sustain on the pinch and throw in the vibrato
if ur having trouble using the traditional method to harmonic, try using the fleshy bottom part of ur thumb that connects to ur palm, works out great for me
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Like McFlibble said with proper technique you can do pinches on an acoustic. Active vs passive doesn't matter.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by btp
i switched the stock duncans in my RR3 to a single EMG 85 and it squeels much MUCH better.

also getting them to scream is the hardest part, i myself can only do it 1 or 2 out of 10 tries. just try to keep as much sustain on the pinch and throw in the vibrato

Didn't that guitar have a JB? A JB is SUPER easy to get harmonics out of.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
I learnt to do pinch harmonics with a squier tele with single coils and really shitty amps. They are easy as hell for me now but it really is all in the technique.
I don't know how much the pickups affect your pinches, but I can get pretty good ones on a Strat with passive single coils (check Coffee House of the Rising Sun on my profile at ~2:39 for reference) and I think they sound pretty sweet.
I have only known how to do a pinch harmonic for 5 months and I have been playing for 7. Pinches are easy shit. If you listen careful enough I can get them on acoustic guitar. Add vibrato and they will scream. My guitar has rock based duncans in it that have medium output. I can get some nasty pinch harmonics coming out. It's a ll about technique.
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
If you can perform them fine on one guitar, but not on another, the problem is probably location. Action probably affects that a little too. But in general, different pickups require that you pinch in different spots, and it also just varies by guitar. Try it in different spots and see what happens.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X