I was listening to Endless Sacrifice by Dream Theater (a link to a live performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFXq1ixoE8k&feature=av2n) and due to my relative unfamiliarity with the band, I thought a lot of the heavy synth solos were actually guitar solos with effects. For example, the solo at : in the video was one I mistook for a guitar solo.

Partly because I think the modulations in the solo would make it fun to play it with a whammy bar, and partly because I don't know any talented keyboardists, I'm working on learning those solos on guitar anyways.

However, I'm not a big effects guy at all and rarely change the EQ on the same drive I use for everything. I'm wondering if anybody would know what guitar effects pedals might help produce that keyboard sound.
Lol the only way your going to make your guitar sound anywhere near a snyth would be with one of the roland guitar snyths which will probably be more hassle then its worth unless you plan on using it regulary.
it might cost ALOT
Jordan Rudess (Keyboardist) and John Petrucci (Guitarist) both do unison solo's, trade solo spots, I don't think there's much in the way of getting that sound...

And the video is blocked for me,
"This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. "

So post a new video, cuz I'm to lazy to go on my zune software and look at DT's live at Bodukan CD...
To get synth sounds, you could load on tons of effects from some half-assed shitty multi effects pedal to make your guitar sound unrecognizable, but that'd most likely result in just plain crap and a kick in the nuts from many people. I'd personally suggest buying some sort of MIDI system for your guitar to use with an external synth. For this you've got two options really. Hex pickups or a MIDI piezo saddles (i.e. Graphtech). Roland's GK-3 is a pretty non-intrusive way of doing this, but is somewhat limited in other options. Putting in a Ghost System like Graphtech's stuff would be slightly more costly, require some routing in most cases and unless you're particularly handy, it probably wouldn't be the best option. I personally think it'd be the higher quality, less ugly way of doing it, but meh... On top of this, you'll have to purchase an external synth or controller. Any 13-pin MIDI interface should work. Roland makes several which actually have internal synths, so you won't have to bring another unit around with you. The Axon USB 50 is a nice, inexpensive alternative, but requires a computer nearby to use synth and sampler patches. The Axon 100 is much nicer and out of the available 13-pin interfaces, probably the top model in my opinion. It's not cheap at around $700 (on top of all the other costs you've come across already), but it is a standalone unit and is also rack-mountable. On top of all this, though these sounds are great, it's gonna be a LONG while before guitar MIDI systems catch on enough that manufacturers are actually going to make very high-end guitar synths (something comparable to a Korg OASYS/M3 or a Kurzweil, Nord, etc.). You could use many of these interfaces to use your guitar as a master MIDI controller much like say, Jordan Rudess uses an OASYS onstage. Unfortunately, unless you've got thousands upon thousands of dollars, building a truly high-quality synth/sampler rack is a no-go.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
EDIT: ^What he said.

Yeah, that's rudess w/ his crazy effects and keyboards, then after that solo is petrucci's, then rudess's... Then petrucci's.... Then a unison.

I don't see very many ways of achieving rudesses sound on a guitar, only petrucci's which would cost you thousands.
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by Karlboy
To get synth sounds, you could load on tons of effects from some half-assed shitty multi effects pedal to make your guitar sound unrecognizable, but that'd most likely result in just plain crap and a kick in the nuts from many people. I'd personally suggest buying some sort of MIDI system for your guitar to use with an external synth. For this you've got two options really. Hex pickups or a MIDI piezo saddles (i.e. Graphtech). Roland's GK-3 is a pretty non-intrusive way of doing this, but is somewhat limited in other options. Putting in a Ghost System like Graphtech's stuff would be slightly more costly, require some routing in most cases and unless you're particularly handy, it probably wouldn't be the best option. I personally think it'd be the higher quality, less ugly way of doing it, but meh... On top of this, you'll have to purchase an external synth or controller. Any 13-pin MIDI interface should work. Roland makes several which actually have internal synths, so you won't have to bring another unit around with you. The Axon USB 50 is a nice, inexpensive alternative, but requires a computer nearby to use synth and sampler patches. The Axon 100 is much nicer and out of the available 13-pin interfaces, probably the top model in my opinion. It's not cheap at around $700 (on top of all the other costs you've come across already), but it is a standalone unit and is also rack-mountable. On top of all this, though these sounds are great, it's gonna be a LONG while before guitar MIDI systems catch on enough that manufacturers are actually going to make very high-end guitar synths (something comparable to a Korg OASYS/M3 or a Kurzweil, Nord, etc.). You could use many of these interfaces to use your guitar as a master MIDI controller much like say, Jordan Rudess uses an OASYS onstage. Unfortunately, unless you've got thousands upon thousands of dollars, building a truly high-quality synth/sampler rack is a no-go.

Dude, you should try hitting enter when you type.

It

Is

Fun.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.