I'm currently making a notebook for myself about music theory, guitar tips/licks and composing tips. For example, what tricks I could use to create licks or stuff, what theory I should study, etc. I know it's kind of stupid to try and compose music using this kind of information, but I do it to study music mostly.

I don't plan on putting anything I already know perfectly such as basic theory (scales, modes, etc). What I have in mind to put in there right now is : modulation tips, trying to find some chords that aren't in a key that might sound good and write them down.

For example, I often use a bVII in a major scale (with the I being root), it sounds good since it sounds and not so outside 'cause it could be seen as mixolydian.

And uh, I don't really know what else to put for the moment. What do you guys think about it/ what should I add?
Polytonality.

This is the topic I've been tackling lately, and I must say it's quite fantastic. Polytonality (as the name suggests) describes music with multiple tonics or tonal centres. Here's a nice little progression I came up with recently that should help you to understand what polytonality sounds like.

G#maj7 Bmaj7 F#maj7 Ebsus2
my notebook consists of me writing out every major scale in every key and building chord off that

it filled like, 90 pages (of course i did it over and over and over again) and boy did it stick! (no kidding)
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
A notebook? I'm going to go buy a notebook today for my song ideas, etc.

Thanks.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Quote by kevC4
I'm currently making a notebook for myself about music theory, guitar tips/licks and composing tips. For example, what tricks I could use to create licks or stuff, what theory I should study, etc. I know it's kind of stupid to try and compose music using this kind of information, but I do it to study music mostly.

I don't plan on putting anything I already know perfectly such as basic theory (scales, modes, etc). What I have in mind to put in there right now is : modulation tips, trying to find some chords that aren't in a key that might sound good and write them down.

For example, I often use a bVII in a major scale (with the I being root), it sounds good since it sounds and not so outside 'cause it could be seen as mixolydian.

And uh, I don't really know what else to put for the moment. What do you guys think about it/ what should I add?

That bVII has only a little bit to do with the mixolydian feel, it's just a borrowed chord from the parallel minor. A few handy things you might consider writing down are using borrowed chords from the parallel minor, Neopolitan chord, secondary dominants, a technique where you don't play any of the notes that could make a piece major or minor (not sure what this is called, but Chopin used it in Fantaisie Impromptu in C# near the end) and voiceleading.