just wondering what you guys think of this amp. is it good for metal and punk stuff, and is it loud enough for home practice and possible band practices in the future. Thanks.
It's a pretty good amp, yes. Without knowing more, it would be fine for metal and punk. And it's plenty loud for practice. You're more likely to have problems with it being too loud rather than not loud enough.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Mesa Boogie amps are pedal monsters. The best sounds created with them is through pedals or other effect-boards and such.
This amp has definitely sparked my interest. I did the right thing and used the search bar, but isnt this kinda in the wrong category?
Okay, anyways, not meaning to steal your thread or anything. but...

Anyone in EG got any real details on this amp? I need some br00tz. I know you said it's a pedal monster, but I'm definitely a pedal noob, and on the poor side :/

I'm looking for something to replace my 333xl halfstack because I do not gig anymore, and I just want something smaller.
rectoverb 50 would flip your mattress should you practice with it in your room.

it'll be plenty loud for band practice and shows and its got a plenty of testicle for heavier sounds.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
rectoverb 50 would flip your mattress should you practice with it in your room.

it'll be plenty loud for band practice and shows and its got a plenty of testicle for heavier sounds.

Mattress flippage is always great.
I love playing loud.

But 50W combos are like barely quieter than 120watts right?
something like that?

And is it made for high gain?
Or does it just have the balls for high gain?

Because it looks to me like this thing could get in the way of me and my future 5150
having been on the receiving end of a 5150 60 watt 2x12 combo, and a 5150 120 watt halfstack.. both were incredibly loud and capable of keeping up with a drummer who was triggered thru a PA and my 400 watt bass halfstack that was pretty much on 10.

the biggest difference between the two amps was the that the 120 watt sounded clearer, while the 60 watt sounded a like it was in less control. they each had comparable settings for eq and gain.. just the post was higher on the 60 watt to try and cope with the halfstack. the combo squealed during any amount of silence which could hav ebeen the fault of the guitar (ibanez Jem.. can't remember which one.. the expensive one. lol)

I guess the point i'm trying to make is that, the 50 watt rectoverb would likely keep up with most 100 watt tube amps. but might not be quite as tight or clear if its gotta be pushed really hard.

Lots of people use the Mesa for its particular character of hi gain. both the 5150 and the recto do great for metal, but with each of its own flavour. (if it counts for anythign, my preference is for the 5150)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by cheesecakes4
Mesa Boogie amps are pedal monsters. The best sounds created with them is through pedals or other effect-boards and such.

Sure same thing with an dual rectifier