Ok, so i was about to buy the Jet city Jca 2112( Jca20 112 combo), when i found a Peavey xxx 112 combo for nearly the same price. While i think the xxx blows the jca away when it comes to solo tones(or maybe not, would like to have comments on this one) my main concern is that im going to be playing at home(in a flat, where volume is an issue, though i can play a bit louder than you may think) and for some small venues, but mostly for home. Its rated at 40 watts, while the jca is rated at 20, so i guess it will be extremely loud for home.
Yeah, I will be playing progressive rock/shred(kind of like vai, satriani, and a bit of van halen there too) and will be using an Ibanez s470 with Dimarzio evolutions.
So, what is the best choice for me tone-wise and volume-wise? (mostly bedroom volume- tone wise)
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
These forums seem to be lit up with love for JCA gear all of a sudden. I don't know anything about it. The Peavey would be adequate though, for what you need.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I would say a carvin Legacy.....it is what Vai Uses and it sounds great. but if not that then The Peavey XXX or even a peavey Vypyr Tube
well a carvin legacy is
1) out of my budget
2) way too freakin loud for home
but yeah, the tone is priceless.
So the jca or the peavey? which one will be better at bedroom levels?(because i understand they both do good cranked, right?)
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
One thing to keep in mind is that there isn't much difference in volume between a 20w amp and a 40w amp. Volume and watts are two totally different things. Just because an amp has twice as many watts doesn't mean it will be twice as loud.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 10, 2010,
JCA will sound better than the Peavey at bedroom levels. The JCA kicks ass for leads, IMO, at least for gainier stuff. You'd need a boost for heavier (metal) stuff though.

I know for a fact teh JCA sounds enormously good when cranked, should be the same for the Peavey.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Matt420740
One thing to keep in mind is that there isn't much difference in volume between a 20w amp and a 40w amp. Volume and watts are two totally different things. Just because an amp has twice as many watts doesn't mean it will be twice as loud.

Nice. Well what about the tone, which one will be better?

Tbh i'm guessing the jca, because the peavey is just that much features for such a low price, must be something why its so cheap.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Its up to you man. Honestly i wouldnt buy into the wattage arguement with a peavey type amp because more gain will come from the preamp on the peavey because its more of a modern voiced amp then that jet city. I have a peavey ultra 2x12 60 watt combo which will be similar to the triple x and it sounds great at low volumes.
The peavey triple xxx series is discontinued afaik so its either on blowout or its used so thats why its near the price of the jet city.
well mainly i want a responsive, dynamic lead tone(vai, satriani -ish) and i think the jet city will be more responsive, but not enough gain. While the xxx is gonna be the exact opposite. So im pretty much stuck.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
What is your budget?

The JSX combo would be ideal. Master volume, so turning down isn't a problem. Very responsive and versatile. I'm using the legacy at the moment, and it is stupidly loud.
The XXX is a pretty solid amp, I wouldn't dismiss it. Way underrated, but I would definitely go with the JSX for what you want.

Btw, that's a great guitar your using. I still love my s470, but have my evo in the neck and a crunch lab in the bridge.
yeah, i guess the jsx would be pretty nice, but i cant find them anywhere, and the only ones i find are heads and they are like 2x out of my price range.

and yeah, the guitar is nice btw, though i bought it way back, so it has 22 frets.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
You could look for a used ultra. I like mine its supposed to be like an xxx but with less gain and more clarity. The ultra/xxx/jsx are all in the same family of amps.
The crunch channel on my ultra sounds like what you are looking for. (don't let the name fool you it has alot of gain for a crunch channel)
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 11, 2010,
yeah, thats what i thought, though cant find them anywhere near. well, although i would love something like a ultra/jsx or even an xxx with a crunch channel(the 40w doesen't have a crunch channel of its own, just the switch on the clean channel, and people say it sounds nowhere near the real crunch on the 60w or heads) i guess i'll be settling on the jca. Thanks for the respones!
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
If you like the JSX, the XXX is very similar. Then again you're looking at the 40 watt XXX which is a little different.
Quote by littlephil
If you like the JSX, the XXX is very similar. Then again you're looking at the 40 watt XXX which is a little different.

you mean worse? or just different?
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
For a flat I would wait for some Jet City Pico Valve reviews to appear. 40W is a little on the loud side...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by thisdude
yeah, i guess the jsx would be pretty nice, but i cant find them anywhere, and the only ones i find are heads and they are like 2x out of my price range.

and yeah, the guitar is nice btw, though i bought it way back, so it has 22 frets.

22 frets is win, mine is the same. More frets =/= better guitar. Usually the other way around actually

If you're that worried about budget, a peavey ultra or even a triumph would work alright. predecessors of the XXX.

But honestly I would wait on a well priced JSX. It won't be easy, and you'll have to hunt, but totally worth it.
and btw, is there a demo of the jet city somewhere, where the player is not playing classic rock or blues?
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
wow. just wow.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
my vote is for the boosted jca. or if you go to the official jet city amplification site you can order the brown eye mod, which sounds crazy. credit AM for that.
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
I say XXX, the lead channel of the JSX is based off the XXX. I think it would perfect for you're style, much more modern sounding and a lot more gain on tap.
Quote by im_bored
I say XXX, the lead channel of the JSX is based off the XXX. I think it would perfect for you're style, much more modern sounding and a lot more gain on tap.

yeah, but the xxx 40w efx version doesnt have the distinctive crunch channel like on the 60w and the head version, its different, and as reviewers say, its kind of like a gain stage added to the clean channel. And the ultra channel doesnt sound as responsive and dynamic, so i guess i'll go for the jca and boost/mod it later.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
For what you want since it involves bedroom volumes, I am gonna have to recommend you a POD rather than an amp. A line 6 pod Xt or X3 live will get you a better tone than a tube amp will at bedroom levels. If it wasn't bedroom levels Id say bugera 333xl.