Okay firstly I did search but most thumb issue stuff seemed to relate to barre chords which isnt what im after.

Been having a bit of issues with thumb placement as of late and I think its slowly starting to cause wrist pains in terms of in the sides of my wrist (mainly next to thumb) and inside-wrist below my palm. I always thought, from what ive learned, that my thumb is ment to stay oposite the fretboard from my index finger but thats quite difficult as on 5th and 6th string it results in lot of wrist bending. Even staying in the centre of the guitar is hard. Basically im at a loss of how I should have my thumb places on the guitar. Ive been playing for a year with no trouble and during the last month or so this has happened.

Where is it ment to go? and is it ment to be flat or curly or bent in or what?. If people can post any pictures of correct thumb placement that would be great. I would but i dont have a photobucket account or a camera to take a picture.

Edit: Sorry if things arent clear. Feel free to ask questions
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Instead of reading so much on what you should do, you should concentrate on what "feels right" to you. I've seen a lot of great guitarist play a lot of differant ways. The "wrong" may end up being the right way for you. Observe other players on videos or go to a bar that does open mic night and observe the other guitarist. Hope this helps!
There's no 'correct' technique - everyone has something works for them. I personally keep my thumb parallel with the neck (pointing straight to the headstock) when I do barre chords, but lots don't.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
hmmm okay but what should I do about this wrist pain? should i stop playing a few days? I try to keep my hand 0-50 degrees where posible so I dont ive buggered it permenantly
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?