My amp keeps hiccuping and dropping volume up and down randomly when i play. would new tubes fix this or is it more severe?
it sounds like a power supply issue, worst case senerio would be a transformer replacement and they're not cheap
Fender Hot Rod deluxe, and i'm not too sure. i've had it for about 8 months but i got it used.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Very possible it needs new power tubes. That's what it sounds like to me. I'd go with Svetlana 6L6GCs.

If you want, might as well change preamp tubes. I don't know if the HRD has a cathode follower, so order from dougtubes.com, and ask him what he thinks are best for preamp tubes.

+1
But maybe not the Svetlanas, they are just Sovteks in a new dress. JJ or SED would be my recomendation for the 6L6s. I like JJ 12AX7s but I like a bit of darkness in my amps. Doug's Tubes is good advice, tell him what sound you are looking for.
One question though - when the volume drops do you get a bit of 120Hz hum with it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well there's nothing really wrong with Sovtek 6L6s. I went from Sovtek to British NOS (They look like rebranded Mullards) ones and comparatively speaking the Sovteks were junk but to be fair, compared to an old Brirish NOS tube what isn't?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
But riddle me this Batman, are you comparing new Svetlanas to half worn out Sovteks? Memories can be misleading.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification