Hey, I've been playing guitar on and off for a about 7 years and I've started taking it seriously recently and I'm getting pretty good. I've been using a roland cube-30 for the past 5 years and it is really nothing more than a practice amp. I'm looking for a great quality amp that I can play gigs with.

I have a Fender Strat which I use to play Hendrix, Zeppelin, Jeff Beck and stuff of that nature and I also have an Ibanez which I use to play harder stuff like Pantera and Boston. I'm not really into metal; Pantera is about as "heavy" as I get but I definately want an amp that can handle playing all kinds of rock and also jazz and funk.

I'm really a moron when it comes to technology stuff so I'm kind of lost when it comes to buying an amp. All I see when I look at all these amps is that some are bigger than others. I get really intemidated about buying stuff that I know nothing about so I would really appreciate any advice on what type of amp I should buy.

I'm really not picky about it, I'd just like to fulfill these qualities:

1. Long lasting
2. Good for playing all types of music, mostly hard rock
3. No more expensive than 1000$
4. Good for playing gigs.

Thank you very much for your advice.
Peavey Vypyr, maybe even the half stack with your budget, you might also try the valve king half stack.
have a look at the blackstar ht-40, it's one of the most versatile amps i've seen, blues rock and some metal can all be done with the onboard distortion, you may want to look at getting something like a tubescreamer for when you play metal just to boost the signal abit
a 'great' amp so you say - just to be different from the people who set out to buy shit amps.

1. Shouldn't be too uncommon these days
2. Won't happen - you can't get an amp that's great at everything. The closest would be a Marshall of some description, like a 1959SLP.
3. Hmm - you mean USD?
4. What is a gig? A local pub or Madison Square Gardens?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I'd second the blackstar ht series, with 1000 bucks you could prob even go with the 60. Depends on what size of gigs you do tho. Lots of videos on YouTube for them, looks like it would cover your styles of music really well
I'd go look at the Blackstar HT-60.

Eidt: Woops, looks like people have already suggested it.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by EFGuitar
Peavey Vypyr, maybe even the half stack with your budget

GOD DAMMIT, NO.

Whatever you buy TS, be it a Blackstar, a JCA, or a good used Marshall JCM or Mesa ______ Rec, do NOT look at a Vypyr when you're spending that kind of cash.

A Vypyr is better for little more than being a versatile, decent sounding 150 dollar practice amp.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by seemeel
a 'great' amp so you say - just to be different from the people who set out to buy shit amps.

1. Shouldn't be too uncommon these days
2. Won't happen - you can't get an amp that's great at everything. The closest would be a Marshall of some description, like a 1959SLP.
3. Hmm - you mean USD?
4. What is a gig? A local pub or Madison Square Gardens?

Hello thanks for your reply. I guess I should just ask for an amp thats good for hard rock then. I am talking Canadian dollars. And a gig is a local pub.

So what would you suggest.

also i found this on craigslist for 200$ and it gets good reviews online what do you think.
http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/msg/1891829540.html
for an amp you'll be looking for tube/transistor, wattage, speaker size and most importantly sound.

So go out to ur local music shop and look at the amp. The BIG half stack/stack ones are for big gigs, and they'll be cool for a while, but after a while, u'll wish u went smaller (unless u have aslave to move that shit for you).

Tubes usually have a better sound, but you have to turn em up which is where wattage comes in.

in tube watts:
15 or less= practice or very small gigs
30-50= medium gigs
50-100= BIG gigs

In tranny watts:
30 or less= practice or very small
50- medium
100= medium large gigs

Transisters are good at low volumes (don't need tube breakup)
Valves are bad at low volume
Transistors are AWFUL at loud volumes
tubes are BEAUTIFUL at loud volumes

That's watts outta the way.

Speaker sizes efffect ur overall EQ mainly. The bigger you go the more bass response you get. along with more volume cause of speaker area.
8"= thin sounding
10"= alright
12"= pumpin

Pretty much all good combos/cabs have 12" speakers in them.

now sound... Now this is why you are at the shop. TRY THIER AMPS OUT. Once you've gone through the above and singled out the ones you want to try ask the store people nicly if u can use YOUR guitar and play through the amps (without any effects pedals and shit in between)

Now choose you favorite one BUT don't buy it. Now research the shit out of it when you get home and see if u are actually looking at something good.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by fwasa_000

No, thats a giant piece. At that price point I'd stay away from Blackstars as well. Theyre a decent option if you have ~600 or less, more than that though are infinitely better options. I'd look at Traynor's since they are made in Toronto, and everywhere north of the border sells them. They're great amps too. You should be able to find a used Hughes and Kettner Statesman too which sounds great, but would need a hell of an overdrive up front for Pantera. You could also go for a Mesa DC or F Series, or a .50 caliber. They are definitely voiced differently than the tones that Zeppelin, Hendrix, or Beck used, but they are still great sounding amps.

If I were you I'd lurk Craigslist and kijiji until something great pops up around 800 or so. Check out tons of reviews too. Harmony Central has good reviews and Amazon has decent reviews usually too, stay away from the ones on Musiciansfriend or ug though as they are usually written by someone who hasn't experienced a lot of gear and just happened to get that particular product a few days before they wrote the review.
Jet City Amps JCA100 or JCA50 would do all that stuff very well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by julzius

in tube watts:
30-50= medium gigs
50-100= BIG gigs

In tranny watts:
50- medium
100= medium large gigs

Some of what you said was right, but most of it wasn't.

Firstly, tube watts are the same as solid state watts, which are the same as the watts of a combustion engine or any other device. Power is power.

Secondly, the volume increase between 50W and 100W is negligible. Now here comes some theory - ideally (and this is not what actually happens) doubling the power results in an increase of 3 dB. 50 W is 17 dB, and 100 W is 20 dB. Now, when you couple this with a speaker with 98 dB efficiency (like many Celestion speakers) you can add them together to see what volume you could get at 1 m. I have made a graph to illustrate my point.

Now this graph is ideal and doesn't account for the frequency response of the amp or speaker. It's just a good illustration of how the power/volume relationship is logarithmic, not linear.

Now, in the real world, the 'sound' of tubes amps is much more pleasant at high volume, which means that you can stand to listen to it louder. It does not mean that tube amps can go louder than solid state. The breakup of tubes is difficult to properly emulate and that's why modelling amps are often disliked by purists. The tonal characteristics of this breakup is what is so desirable about tube amps, NOT their supposed greater volume.

Your claim that 10" speakers are "alright", whereas 12" speakers are "pumpin" is frankly embarrassing. Take a 12" speaker in a shitty $50 combo and compare it to a 10" Greenback and then tell me this. Also explain by groups like Mesa, Ampeg and such use 10" speakers in their bass cabs? Idiot.

On the topic of volume, doubling your speaker surface area is more or less the same as doubling your power. What this basically means is that a 20W amp playing into a 4x12 cabinet is going to be approximately as loud as an 80W amp with a single speaker (same speaker as in the cab of course).

PM me (or do some reading) for more info.

Sorry about this rant TS - it just pisses me off when people say things that are blatantly incorrect.

[EDIT: Better graph now.]

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Last edited by seemeel at Aug 10, 2010,
Edit: Guy above me said everything I said pretty much. I guess I forgot to finish reading the thread... Ninja'd... Oh well, it emphasizes our point.

Quote by julzius
for an amp you'll be looking for tube/transistor, wattage, speaker size and most importantly sound.

So go out to ur local music shop and look at the amp. The BIG half stack/stack ones are for big gigs, and they'll be cool for a while, but after a while, u'll wish u went smaller (unless u have aslave to move that shit for you).

Tubes usually have a better sound, but you have to turn em up which is where wattage comes in.

in tube watts:
30-50= medium gigs
50-100= BIG gigs

In tranny watts:
50- medium
100= medium large gigs

Transisters are good at low volumes (don't need tube breakup)
Valves are bad at low volume
Transistors are AWFUL at loud volumes
tubes are BEAUTIFUL at loud volumes

That's watts outta the way.

Speaker sizes efffect ur overall EQ mainly. The bigger you go the more bass response you get. along with more volume cause of speaker area.
8"= thin sounding
10"= alright
12"= pumpin

Pretty much all good combos/cabs have 12" speakers in them.

now sound... Now this is why you are at the shop. TRY THIER AMPS OUT. Once you've gone through the above and singled out the ones you want to try ask the store people nicly if u can use YOUR guitar and play through the amps (without any effects pedals and shit in between)

Now choose you favorite one BUT don't buy it. Now research the shit out of it when you get home and see if u are actually looking at something good.

Toodles!

The things in bold are things I thought were sort of silly.

Here is a rule of thumb. Anywhere too big to use a tube 30 watt 2x12 will have a PA system, which means 100 watts is definitely not necessary for big gigs. That's not to say there is anything wrong with having 100 watts. It just means you'll have a lot of headroom, and there are a lot of amps that happen to be about that, so don't let the wattage scare you away from anything really, unless it's absolutely tiny.

Valves are NOT bad at low volume. Why would you say that? They're perfectly fine at low volume, they just sound ever better at high volume.

Your speaker size "chart" is off. It really depends on your application. 12" is pretty much standard though, although 10's and 8's can sound great for certain applications. I tried a Framus Cobra through and old Traynor 4x10 a while back and I have never heard that particular amp sound that good. Ever.

None offense meant, but I had to remedy those mistakes.

That's my rant. The rest of what you said made sense for the most part.

To TS: Go play a bunch of stuff, and then go and research the ones you liked the most. Don't be afraid to spend some time.
Last edited by enselmis at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by enselmis
Here is a rule of thumb. Anywhere too big to use a tube 30 watt 2x12 will have a PA system, which means 100 watts is definitely not necessary for big gigs. That's not to say there is anything wrong with having 100 watts. It just means you'll have a lot of headroom, and there are a lot of amps that happen to be about that, so don't let the wattage scare you away from anything really, unless it's absolutely tiny.

Valves are NOT bad at low volume. Why would you say that? They're perfectly fine at low volume, they just sound ever better at high volume.

This. It's nice to know that not all UGers blindly advocate misinformed stereotypes about tubes vs transistors and the power:gig size ratio.

Quote by CL/\SH
GOD DAMMIT, NO.

Whatever you buy TS, be it a Blackstar, a JCA, or a good used Marshall JCM or Mesa ______ Rec, do NOT look at a Vypyr when you're spending that kind of cash.

A Vypyr is better for little more than being a versatile, decent sounding 150 dollar practice amp.

I like how when the Vypyr was new, the Vypyr was one of the most "holy fucking shit awesome" amps there was to a lot of people on these boards. Now that Jet City is the new thing they're getting held up on this pedestal.

I'm not digging on you or insulting you; you made only a passing reference to the JCA. Just making an observation.

TC, you might look for a used Fender Super Sonic, or a Prosonic if you could find one. Perhaps a Carvin V-3.