what do you mean by it uncoils at the bridge?
do you have a floyd rose, and if so what tuning are you using?
This happens on my old guitar, a ibanez rg with a floyd rose, as well. i am quite positive im not puting the string on wrong, and im tuned to e standard.
Quote by britishsligean
you might have a slightly sharp bridge which is only damaging the winding layer

This is probably it. It never completely comes off so i always have to unwind the string to change it. I have a standard bridge, looks like this
There's a burr on the saddle. easiest way to fix it? replace the saddle(s). Almost as easy and cheaper? sand it/them with VERY high grit sand paper in the spot where the burr(s) is/are.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It's prolly a burr in the saddle. My sg had one in the d string saddle kept snappen em

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1
It doesn't completely snap because it's a wound string. You should do what oneblackened suggested. If it continues to happen then maybe your playing a little too aggressively, another option is to cut a tiny piece of plastic electrical wire insulation that fits snug over and around the low e and slide it down to the saddle or bridge plate where it's breaking.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Aug 10, 2010,
What size string are you using?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
When this was happening on my Strat it was either me playing too hard on too light gauge strings. One thing that did help though was rubbing some lead (from a lead pencil) into the saddles. Worked a treat with some heavier gauge strings. =D
My gear:
"The Black Beast" Customised 80s Strat Clone
"Gibsun" Chinese Les Paul Knockoff
ZOOM 707II
1970s Eminar P606 50W + 2x18

KORVINN - My band