Page 1 of 2
I'm buying my first Gibson Les Paul. But the whole "wood of today" thing is scaring me. Plus I was hoping I could get a deal on some LPs locally. Used is definitely an option.

I know some years people say weren't all that great so what years should I be looking for? My budget for this is about $1000 or so depending on the model and I'm looking for anything above a studio.

Thanks!
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Well for only a thousand dollars I don't think you will find much in terms of a Gibson Les Paul.

I have a 2008 Les Paul Standard with a 50's style neck and two bursbucker pro humbuckers. I love it.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
I was hoping some Clist LPs would be cheaper. I'm cool with spending more but definitely not above $1200. I'm in Boston.

However I don't wanna buy a new Gibby and have bad quality. Is your 08' good?

Quote by Rcasa630
I was hoping some Clist LPs would be cheaper. I'm cool with spending more but definitely not above $1200. I'm in Boston.

However I don't wanna buy a new Gibby and have bad quality. Is your 08' good?

some gibsons are hit and miss, if you go to a store and try a new one and want it you're sfaer getting that one than buying one off the web
Well I went and probably put about a total of 6 hours over a week of trying out guitars and picked the one I liked the best. You really need to try it before you buy it. That goes for anything.

I love mine though.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
I'm gonna do the same.. and yea I agree with the price thing. It's mainly name but I'd like to believe there is value in the guitar itself too :-] lol

The only way to tell anything about Gibsons is to play them. Having played many Les Pauls dating from the Seventies to this year, quality control is all over the place and has been for many years.

Seriously. Best Les Paul I ever played was an '88 Standard that weighed like twelve pounds. The worst was an '08 Axcess. Just craigslist it, find one that looks good and set up a meeting to try it out. Don't worry about what year it is. But make sure the buyer knows that you aren't promising to buy it at that meeting. (I find that most of the time people who have issues with using craigslist or had a bad experience just had shitty communication.)

Looking at the Boston craigslist now, there are a ton of Studios in your price range, but I'm not seeing any Standards. Maybe eBay?

There's also an old Gibson Challenger near you. That would be neat. But then there's this Gibson L6S. I'd take that over a Les Paul Standard any day.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 10, 2010,
You can find some bad ass gear on craig's list if you have the patients. For whatever reason there is always someone moving and selling all of their awesome gears.
Got my faded studio for $550 with hard case on CL. Plays like a dream and only has minor minor cosmetic wear. Its now my favorite guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
I've got an 08' Studio, I love it to bits. I love being able to see the grain in the wood on mine.

Try before you buy, as said.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
The "quality control is all over" isn't correct and is made by people who don't actually understand Gibson. Yes there are some minor (and I stress the word minor) defects to be found here and there.
What you need to understand is Gibson uses mostly hand work for most of the production processes in the factory (Custom & USA). Since computers aren't shaping the necks, which are rough sawn and sanded totally by hand, each one is slightly different. They are QC'ed but there are tolerances that allow for variances between them. This is why you need to play a few to find the "one" that feels good to you.
I've played many lately and while not all felt like one I'd want, the actually quality, (frets, binding, finish etc) we're all just fine.
Don't let the myth keep you from exploring the possibilties. The choice is always up to you in the end.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
The "quality control is all over" isn't correct and is made by people who don't actually understand Gibson. Yes there are some minor (and I stress the word minor) defects to be found here and there.
What you need to understand is Gibson uses mostly hand work for most of the production processes in the factory (Custom & USA). Since computers aren't shaping the necks, which are rough sawn and sanded totally by hand, each one is slightly different. They are QC'ed but there are tolerances that allow for variances between them. This is why you need to play a few to find the "one" that feels good to you.
I've played many lately and while not all felt like one I'd want, the actually quality, (frets, binding, finish etc) we're all just fine.
Don't let the myth keep you from exploring the possibilties. The choice is always up to you in the end.

I've seen you make posts with this general message numerous times but I stand by what I said about the QC. My statement is not borne out of hearsay but trying out countless guitars after I sold the Les Paul I owned previously. I tried just about every Les Paul in North Georgia, seeking a replacement, and they were indeed all over the place - not in terms of the subtleties of their construction as you imply, but many were just objectively shitty.

They do indeed feature a great deal of variety between guitars of the same model - but those aren't problems, those are just things that aren't for me. I'm not talking about "this one's neck was too fat" or "this one's pickups are too hot." I'm talking about chipped finishes, guitars with non-functioning controls, switches and pickups, awful fretwork, guitars with screw holes but no pickguards and in one instance a strap button that fell out in the shop. Brand new guitars, too.

(Interestingly, that last thing has eventually happened to every Les Paul that was owned by someone that I actually knew, including mine. It's not really a problem because strap locks rule, but it's odd.)

It's worth noting that regardless of whether or not our dear thread creator here listens to you or to me, he'll do the same thing: try them out and not buy blind. Hence, I don't particularly care that you and I disagree - I wouldn't have replied at all except that your first sentence seemed to call me out in particular. I understand Gibson just fine. Apparently you and I have managed to have considerably different experiences with the company.

I don't mean any hostility to anyone here. Excuse the long post, everyone else. I'll try not to clutter the thread further.
the "wood of today" thing is blown way out of proportion.

"wood of today" really means "wood of the last four ****ing decades"

Gibson hasn't been using the old growth wood that were in vintage guitars since the '60s.

In retrospect, I'd never spend $1000 on a Gibson. A used standard is going to cost oyu $1500 or so and I'd prefer to save up another $500 and just find a good deal on a historic. The quality difference between a historic and a standard is huge. Forget all this wood of today nonsense. If you are concerned about getting the best wood then take out a home equity loan and pony up for a real vintage guitar or sell your car to get a custom replica built by the old wood hoarders.
Quote by Flying Couch
I'm talking about chipped finishes, guitars with non-functioning controls, switches and pickups, awful fretwork, guitars with screw holes but no pickguards and in one instance a strap button that fell out in the shop. Brand new guitars, too.
BS. I'm not super experienced, so you might know more than me or have seen more, but I have been playing Gibsons for the last 10 years and never have I seen a new guitar come with screw holes and no pick guard. Not once. Did you ever consider that someone at the store took the pickguard off? I'm not doubting that you might have worked a shop and unpacked these guitars only to find a guitar that was brand new straight from Gibson with no pickguard but screw holes in the wood, but I have never seen it. I also don't claim to have played every Gibson in central NC, but I've played a damn lot. There are a lot of collectors in the area, so I've seen my fair share.

Also, please elaborate on how these strap buttons just fell out? I'm not sure I can see how that happens. The strap buttons are screwed in. If it was stripped, then the button would be loose to begin with, when the guitar was new in the store. Screws do not just strip themselves. So that this would be an occurrence on several new guitars (if in fact this happened to ALL the les paul owners that you know). The chances of it JUST happening to you guys are very unlikely as I have not heard this to be a common problem amongst Gibsons, so I'm interested in what happened exactly.

Not trying to stir things up, its just what you posted seems so ridiculously unlikely that I'm curious.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by Flying Couch
I'm talking about chipped finishes, guitars with non-functioning controls, switches and pickups, awful fretwork, guitars with screw holes but no pickguards and in one instance a strap button that fell out in the shop. Brand new guitars, too.

None of these things scream "bad guitar". To me it screams "bad guitar shop" not maintaining their guitars properly.

It's not necessarily even "neck is too thick" or "pickups are too hot" or anything like that with the subjective things about gibsons - it's natural variance in the wood used to build the guitar - one piece of mahogany feels completely different to another one, even if all the dimensions are dead on identical to another guitar, they won't feel the same - and they won't sound the same, because no two pieces of wood have the same resonance - nothing to do with pickups.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
TS, have you considered going for a brand other than Gibson at that price?

Maybe an top end Agile or a Tokai or a used Carvin?
Quote by al112987
BS. I'm not super experienced, so you might know more than me or have seen more, but I have been playing Gibsons for the last 10 years and never have I seen a new guitar come with screw holes and no pick guard. Not once. Did you ever consider that someone at the store took the pickguard off? I'm not doubting that you might have worked a shop and unpacked these guitars only to find a guitar that was brand new straight from Gibson with no pickguard but screw holes in the wood, but I have never seen it. I also don't claim to have played every Gibson in central NC, but I've played a damn lot. There are a lot of collectors in the area, so I've seen my fair share.

I've considered that it might not be Gibson at fault with that one. I don't work at the particular shop where it happened but I've never known Ken Stanton for anything less than good service and maintenance of their stuff. I'm pretty sure it was new, though - it hadn't been there a week ago when I bought my Vox AC4TV, and it was hung up in the corner where they usually put the "hey look at this shiny new guitar" guitars. And I'm not super experienced either, I'm just a guy that went around playing every damn Les Paul I could get my hands on.
Quote by al112987
Also, please elaborate on how these strap buttons just fell out? I'm not sure I can see how that happens. The strap buttons are screwed in. If it was stripped, then the button would be loose to begin with, when the guitar was new in the store. Screws do not just strip themselves.
I couldn't tell you. The Les Paul I had ('08 Traditional) fell out literally the first day I had it. I was the second owner, so I don't hold that one against Gibson. I just glued in the strap locks, as I was going to put them in anyway. My brother's just fell out one day some time after he got it. It's noteworthy that "everyone I know with a Les Paul" isn't some huge number, it's four people plus my brother and I. I don't know the stories of the others.

I wasn't thinking "chronic strap button problems" as an issue to look out for, I was just making an observation. That's why I had it in parentheses and separate from my other experiences.
Quote by al112987
Not trying to stir things up, its just what you posted seems so ridiculously unlikely that I'm curious.
I've entertained the idea that I just have the worst luck with new Gibsons - which is a shame because I really liked both my SG and my Les Paul. I'm not trying to say "don't buy a Gibson, EVAAAAAAR!" Amongst the ones with glaring flaws were some that were truly outstanding guitars. I just urge people to use some caution when shopping.
Quote by slicerlml
TS, have you considered going for a brand other than Gibson at that price?

Maybe an top end Agile or a Tokai or a used Carvin?

If he lives in the US he could easily get a new Carvin for his budget. An SC90, maybe. To get a Carvin CS (their Les Paul competitor and look-a-like) he might have to bump it up a bit and it wouldn't have any swank options on it, but it could be done.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 11, 2010,
I read over every comment, lots of discussion I see lolz. Sorry didn't mean to get any hostility going. I probably will just save up for a historic if the difference is really that major. Any thing else?

About quality control: it's a litle of both worlds. It's not like you're going to pick a Gibson up and find the neck glued in at the wrong angle but there definitely are Gibsons floating around with objective flaws which aren't just a matter of personal preference. I loved the necks on the Axcess models and their tone was really good but I didn't buy one because the Floyd had been installed so sloppily with such dodgy routing that even Epiphone QA would have been embarrassed to give it the all-clear. I've found Gibsons with bad, bad fretwork, scratch controls, switches and mounting rings not fitted tightly, tuners at slightly off angles, etc.

But even if that wasn't the case, the point about trying before you buy still stands. Even if you got two Gibsons which had no objective flaws and were supposed to be the same model with the same specs made on the same day, their necks will still be different, their weight will be different and their tone will be different. Never buy a Gibson without playing it first and don't pay any attention to what their spec is meant to be because it really doesn't matter.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'd have a look before you buy with any guitar if at all possible.

I have heard fairly recently about Gibson guitars with defects such as file marks on the fretboard, small things, but never-the-less things you would not expect to see on a guitar of that price.

I'd do homework for Gibson AND alternative brands and go have a play at them. At the end of the day, IF you do decide to save the bit extra, just go play the guitar before you buy and be very objective about how you look over all the little bits for defects, and make sure you are happy with the sound. If you're then happy and have bought it, you are covered by warranty should anything go wrong!
Sorry Flying Couch if it seemed I picked you out. It's just that I see too many posts that just seem to be bashing Gibson & it's usually just passed on from others vs a lot of personal experience in many cases. So I felt the TS should get another persons view on the matter.
I'd been checking out LPs for quite awhile in preparation for buying my Traditional. While I've seen some minor finish flaws, the main thing that I encountered was some didn't feel as nice as others to me. Many had been slightly damaged by people trying them out as the nitro isn't nearly as tough as poly. Gibson also does a horrible job for the most part setting up their guitars at the factory so if you don't know how to see past that and set them up to your preference, you're likely to be dissappointed.
It's interesting though how different "social sites" offer different groups of thought.
I belong to another site as well (no names) that find many, many people happy with their Gibsons and where Agiles are barely though of as competition for Epiphone. True the general age & playing experience on this alternate site seems to be many years greater than UG but it just goes to show you opinions differ.
BTW even on the other site, Historic owners put down USA owners, Epi owners call Gibson owners snobs and just like here, everyone thinks their guitar is the best!
Moving on.....
I find a lot of Gibbie LP fanatics talk about picking up LPs or Gibsons in general from 1997-1998. But again, when we're talking big money on a guitar, you should always try it out first so you can see if you like it. You can't possibly tell how the thing will feel or look by pictures you know Gibson really isn't a good company to go on a blind buy anyways.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Modern Les Pauls just hold no interest for me. They use the wrong mahogany and rosewood. Too many of them have crap tuners and unpotted pickups. Because of the lousy mahogany, most of them have chambers or weight relief holes, and still weigh a ton. Half the time the fretwork is horribly done.

I want to like them, but I just can't. There's too much wrong.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
^ Unpotted is technically correct.

Besides, potting sucks unless you're using ridiculous gain or just like standing directly in front of your cab for some reason.

All of my humbuckers are unpotted and I've never had a feedback problem.

Anyways, as al112987 already suggested, don't spend $1000 on a Gibson. My Studio was $900 CAD whereas I picked up my R8 for $2000 shipped and it's 100x the guitar the Studio could ever hope to be.

If you really want a Gibson, suck it up for a while longer and try to pick one off on The Gear Page or Rig Talk - R7s routinely sell for just under $2000, R8s for $2400. Hell, I even saw a pristine lemonburst R0 with all the best aftermarket upgrades recently on TGP for $2150 SHIPPED (it's a $4000 guitar, btw). If I hadn't bought the R8 already, I'd have snapped that up instantly.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I've been looking into the used Re-issue market and the prices you're quoting are hardly "routine". A pristine re-issue R7, R8 w/ COA easily goes well over 2K on any reputable dealer, a crap load more than that for an R9. If you're buying from anyone other than a dealer you are taking some risk with no guarantees of returning it (despite some persons promise to the contrary).
I am however glad that you got a good R8 for yourself.

^^^ EDIT My earlier post (below) came true.... I must be endowed with ESP!

"BTW even on the other site, Historic owners put down USA owners, Epi owners call Gibson owners snobs and just like here, everyone thinks their guitar is the best!"
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Aug 11, 2010,
KenG, I typically agree with your opinions on les pauls, but I don't own a historic and I think they're a clear step up just based on the ones that I've played (though I've only played a few multiple times, mainly those owned by others that I know, I try not to be the jerk that comes to the store and plays the same guitar 20 times without buying it)

Some reputable dealers will sell r7s at ~$2000 price point though, I see them here and there online. Otherwise, classifieds on TGP have them at good prices but if there is some risk when buying a guitar blind like that. I'm looking at buying myself an r0 if I get into my undergraduate school's med school this year. I will look at buying myself an r7 if I get into an out of state or private school school (LOL at me thinking a few hundred dollars difference on a guitar is even going to come close to closing the $160k tuition gap)

If I don't get in anywhere, that $3000 is going to pay for next year's applications.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by al112987
KenG, I typically agree with your opinions on les pauls, but I don't own a historic and I think they're a clear step up just based on the ones that I've played (though I've only played a few multiple times, mainly those owned by others that I know, I try not to be the jerk that comes to the store and plays the same guitar 20 times without buying it)

Some reputable dealers will sell r7s at ~$2000 price point though, I see them here and there online. Otherwise, classifieds on TGP have them at good prices but if there is some risk when buying a guitar blind like that. I'm looking at buying myself an r0 if I get into my undergraduate school's med school this year. I will look at buying myself an r7 if I get into an out of state or private school school (LOL at me thinking a few hundred dollars difference on a guitar is even going to come close to closing the $160k tuition gap)

If I don't get in anywhere, that $3000 is going to pay for next year's applications.

I also agree with you that the Historics are a step up from USA Gibsons (actually several steps up). I'd say 10X the studio but not 100X as earlier quoted. So I was just reiterating my earlier observation that some who own Historics 'dis' USA completely (calling USA shite as some H-owners do is totally unnecessary to validate the worth of a Historic). My point is you can get a very good guitar from the USA line without needing to go as far as a Historic. If someone wants a Historic that's fine, heck I'd like one but looking into MLP Vendor Sponsors, MPL private sales & EBay, I haven't seen any (w/ COA & Case candy) for those prices, if one does come up I think it would get snatched up very quickly and the buyer isn't ready to jump immediately it'd be too late.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
I've been looking into the used Re-issue market and the prices you're quoting are hardly "routine". A pristine re-issue R7, R8 w/ COA easily goes well over 2K on any reputable dealer, a crap load more than that for an R9. If you're buying from anyone other than a dealer you are taking some risk with no guarantees of returning it (despite some persons promise to the contrary).
I am however glad that you got a good R8 for yourself.

^^^ EDIT My earlier post (below) came true.... I must be endowed with ESP!

"BTW even on the other site, Historic owners put down USA owners, Epi owners call Gibson owners snobs and just like here, everyone thinks their guitar is the best!"

I'm just saying that comparing the two, one after the other, the Historic utterly annihilates the Studio, so much so that I'd consider using it for firewood if my furnace broke.

It's a great guitar, but the R8 makes it look like a joke.

And those prices are pretty routine if you don't buy from a dealer and pick one up on the used market from an individual seller.

Seriously, troll TGP or Rig Talk for a month and you'll see all sorts of Historics at those price points.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 12, 2010,
^^ I'll give those sites a look.
Thanks
Moving on.....
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'm just saying that comparing the two, one after the other, the Historic utterly annihilates the Studio, so much so that I'd consider using it for firewood if my furnace broke.

It's a great guitar, but the R8 makes it look like a joke.

And those prices are pretty routine if you don't buy from a dealer and pick one up on the used market from an individual seller.

Seriously, troll TGP or Rig Talk for a month and you'll see all sorts of Historics at those price points.

Are you kidding? Play my Studio and I promise you you'll change your mind. Iv played a standard(yes I know your not talking about standards), their awesome I just cant see spending the extra money unless you really want one....which I do and im saving for one, but really the studios aren't that bad. After playing this studio I just cant bring myself to play my other guitars on my live setup. I dont know where im going with this, but after reading your two posts I have to say its BS. I'm sure your going to call me a noob and tell me I dont know what im talking about, but I love my studio and wouldn't get rid of it. Solid guitar, perfect weight(even though I like heavier guitars) and once I got it setup its just blowing me away.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Aug 12, 2010,
^^ I think you've just turned into a Gibson man! The necks are very beefy compared to most other makers and the shorter scale is less common but if you learn to like it, you're hooked. I've tried many Studios in the past and particulary like the faded Brown Mahogany for looks. I'm sure if I sampled a few I'd find one I'd like. I went for the Traditional because it is the closest version today of the standard LP (for my tastes) barring the re-issues. If things go well for me for a while longer I may be getting a re-issue. The nicer woods and nickel hardware and period correct details appeal to me as well. They are a step up from USA but not cheap.

BTW Studios are chambered unless you bought a much older model
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by teamhex
Are you kidding? Play my Studio and I promise you you'll change your mind. Iv played a standard(yes I know your not talking about standards), their awesome I just cant see spending the extra money unless you really want one....which I do and im saving for one, but really the studios aren't that bad. After playing this studio I just cant bring myself to play my other guitars on my live setup. I dont know where im going with this, but after reading your two posts I have to say its BS. I'm sure your going to call me a noob and tell me I dont know what im talking about, but I love my studio and wouldn't get rid of it. Solid guitar, perfect weight(even though I like heavier guitars) and once I got it setup its just blowing me away.
I have used my studio for the last 9 years and have never had much issue. But the historics are significantly better and I am counting down the days until I will buy one.
I have a '96 studio and its the shit but be sure to try any out before you buy them.
Hi , im luke, i play guitar
Quote by al112987
I have used my studio for the last 9 years and have never had much issue. But the historics are significantly better and I am counting down the days until I will buy one.

I just cant imagine it getting any better then what I have. Cosmetically...yeah I can see that, but for the price difference I don't know. I just don't like how hes railing against Studios like their "firewood".
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex
I just cant imagine it getting any better then what I have. Cosmetically...yeah I can see that, but for the price difference I don't know. I just don't like how hes railing against Studios like their "firewood".

Then evidently you've never played a historic. My LP studio (same model as yours, except in worn cherry) is such a nice guitar in that it plays just right and sounds nice and organic and just feels right in my hands, i love it and i'm happy with it and all that, but i've played a couple of historics and they really are miles ahead in every way possible.

It's not so much that the studios are "firewood". there's a huge, HUGE range of quality for pieces of wood, think how much higher quality a LP studio is compared to an epiphone LP special II? some people can't see how a guitar can be any better than the LP special II they got in a starter pack. I think the way people measure how good a guitar is only stretches as high as they've reached. The best guitar they've played is the best guitar they can imagine. I sometimes find it hard to imagine how good some of the vintage gibsons i've played have been though
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by al112987
I have used my studio for the last 9 years and have never had much issue.
Quote by lukelukeluke
I have a '96 studio and its the shit :.
Thing is, everyone knows this. The '90s Studios were pretty decent, that was when they really were just Standards minus the binding and different (but of equal quality) pickups shoved in. But nowadays, if you pick up a brand new 2010 Studio, chances are you're going to throw it down in disgust (well, maybe not literally). I've yet to pick up a single post-2002 Studio that hasn't sucked in some way. I'll entertain the idea that there are a few out there somewhere, but I have yet to find them.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^Wow, that darkburst one looks really nice. Even without the binding.
Quote by Blompcube
Then evidently you've never played a historic. My LP studio (same model as yours, except in worn cherry) is such a nice guitar in that it plays just right and sounds nice and organic and just feels right in my hands, i love it and i'm happy with it and all that, but i've played a couple of historics and they really are miles ahead in every way possible.

It's not so much that the studios are "firewood". there's a huge, HUGE range of quality for pieces of wood, think how much higher quality a LP studio is compared to an epiphone LP special II? some people can't see how a guitar can be any better than the LP special II they got in a starter pack. I think the way people measure how good a guitar is only stretches as high as they've reached. The best guitar they've played is the best guitar they can imagine. I sometimes find it hard to imagine how good some of the vintage gibsons i've played have been though
Once you play a vintage Gibson, it's hard to imagine going back to a Historic. The first vintage les paul I played, I was amazed at how loud it was, and how light it was. It just felt like an old guitar in the way that it had aged. It was sort of like the faded studios that you have today, only it felt stiffer and more solid, and when you played a chord and let it rang, the entire guitar rang out. Granted, they probably didn't sound or feel like that back in the '50s, so it's kind of hard to compare. Maybe the historics now will be that way in '50 years, doubt it since the wood in the vintage les pauls were several hundreds of thousands of years older to begin with but what can you really do?

Luckily I've played my studio for so long that I'm not too concerned with getting the same sound out of a historic as the vintage les pauls. I like the way historics sound as it is so I have no problem ponying up for one. Vintage les pauls are collectors items, they're not guitar players' guitars. The one I played was an early '50s GT that had been refinished in the '70s. It was a good guitar, the best that I had ever played, but not worth the $60k that it would go for on the open market.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by al112987
Vintage les pauls are collectors items, they're not guitar players' guitars. The one I played was an early '50s GT that had been refinished in the '70s. It was a good guitar, the best that I had ever played, but not worth the $60k that it would go for on the open market.

this, unfortunately. i know someone who plays a '53 les paul regularly but it's not really in "collectable" condition because it was in terrible shape when he got it in the '80s (back when vintage guitars cost next to nothing because people saw them as "retro-junk", so i'm told), it was barely playable, mostly through neglect, so he had it restored to a playable condition, which took huge chunks off the resale value. he let me play it once

he said in the shop they had 2 vintage goldtops - one was a very, very early, near mint '52 with the trapeze bridge, for not a lot more than the beaten up '53 - he picked the '53 because he wanted something to play, not something to store away and sell later.

Quote by al112987
Once you play a vintage Gibson, it's hard to imagine going back to a Historic.
Maybe if you have a raging hard-on for a particular year or whatever, but in terms of them just being a well-built guitar that gives a good tone and feels good in the hand, there's really nothing to separate them. Of course "good tone" and "feels good" are entirely subjective, but I can think of a grand total of three pre-1961 Les Pauls that I've played that have felt or sounded noticably better (to me) than the Custom Shop's models in general. There are just as many too-thick or too-thin necks on old guitars as there are on new ones, there are just as many finish flaws, there are just as many examples of shakey routing and just because a pickup has "patent applied for" written on the bottom doesn't mean it's going to give you a good tone.

Just as there are too many people who wrongly write-off the production line in favour of the CS reissues, there are far too many people who write off modern guitars in favour of old ones. You really can't (or rather, shouldn't) make blanket statements about an entire product range. There are just as many shitty old guitars as there are shitty new ones, there are just as many shitty Custom Shop guitars as there are production line guitars, there are just as many shitty Fenders as there are shitty Gibsons, there are just as many shitty Agiles as there are Epiphones, there are just as many shitty hand-wound pickups as there are production line pickups, there are just as many shitty American-made guitars as there are Japanese-made guitars, etc, etc, etc, etc yadda yadda yawn yawn **** this noise.

Quote by al112987
Vintage les pauls are collectors items, they're not guitar players' guitars.
Who the ****'s to say that? If someone wants to spend their money on a '57 Les Paul and play it to death, that's up to them. I've come disturbingly close to buying a '54 LP on two occasions now and I never had any intention of doing anything with them other than playing them senseless. Limited Editions, special runs with artwork finishes and the like, yeah, I get why someone would want to keep those in a glass case. Signed guitars, same deal. But buying a guitar just for the sake of owning it just because it's old? Balls to that. I'm looking to pick up a 1963 Mercury Comet soon and when I do there is no buggering way it's going to just sit in my driveway.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 13, 2010,
Page 1 of 2