My friend was saying how muse was one the best live bands in the world because they sound the same live as they do on the record. (I think they're shit either way tbh) and I was saying I would rather go to a concert and not hear a carbon copy of the cd.

But anyway, would you like to go see a band and hear a carbon copy of the cd or just a good performance?

Why not both?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Also, some bands like to change things up in the songs a bit because...

well, it can get pretty difficult playing the same songs over and over again and not get tired of it.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I dunno, I just wouldn't want to go to a concert and hear the cd played back to me.

edit: @ Jacob, when in Rome.
Last edited by PetallicA at Aug 10, 2010,
It depends who the band is and what songs they're playing. When I saw Metallica I wanted to hear the classics as they are on the albums, but I wanted them to experiment with the new stuff. When I saw Pearl Jam, I wanted them to be a little creative with all the songs.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Most important thing is, I just want a good show.

If they can put on a great show and sound perfect, that's fine.

If having to run around and interact with the audience hampers their performance, fine, go ahead and do it anyways.

If the band can play perfect but they just stand there and play, pfft.

And if they just stand there and they suck as well? Bwahahahaa..
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Yeah a good show is always better. If its sounds like the CD thats great but its still not fun if they don't make a good show of it.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by stratdud39

EDIT: DAMN UG'S CENSORING!

<<<<

Anyways, I also would rather not hear a carbon copy of the CD.
Well, Muse is one of those bands whose older songs are prolly better than their newer ones. Don't get me wrong, the newer songs (from "The Resistance") were interesting. But the stuff off of "Absolution" is definitely better. Or so I've heard, I've only got "Black Holes and Revelations" and "The Resistance". I liked "Black Holes and Revelations" a lot more than "The Resistance".
Personally, I'd rather a song with a few f*ck ups but with a band really going for it than people standing round doing nothing, a la Muse.
I want a good show, more than a 'flawless' performance. What if you were one of the types that followed a band around all year long, like a deadhead? Would you continue to go to Grateful Dead concerts if they took out all the jamming, and only played their recorded material straight during the show?
Note-4-Note solos aren't my thing, I prefer a little improvisation, otherwise it doesn't have that organic feel of a live performance.

Some styles don't lend themselves to very much improvisation though.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Muse definitely doesn't sound the same live as they do on the record, and that is the mark of a good band as far as i'm concerned. As long as its a good different.
Quote by PetallicA
My friend was saying how muse was one the best live bands in the world because they sound the same live as they do on the record. (I think they're shit either way tbh)

Stopped reading there

EDIT: Also they don't really sound the same. They're different in a good way.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Last edited by mattman93 at Aug 10, 2010,
I'd rather see a band play sloppy while putting a lot of energy into the set than watch four guys stand around playing the same stuff, if that's what you mean.
I like shows better if it doesn't sound exactly like the album version.

And musicians standing around doing nothing but playing instruments doesn't bother me that much. I prefer awesome light shows along with musicians playing awesomely to lame light shows and musicians running around like idiots and not playing to their fullest to "put on a good show".
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Aug 11, 2010,
i like bands that can reproduce their music live to it's full integrity. i believe this is the mark of a great band.

as of now, i'm listening to a lot of BTBAM who sound absolutely perfect live, a more perfect band i have yet to hear. i can listen to their live performances, and if i don't watch the video for some time i forget it's a live performance.

Rush are a band who might sound EXACTLY like they do on cd, but who's live music is very faithful to their cd's.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Muse improvise on every song live.

I don't care, but I like some improvisation and I like energetic performances (meaning I almost always don't like it when bands just stand there and perform).

Edit: @ Guylee, it's funny because he's wrong
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by PetallicA
My friend was saying how muse was one the best live bands in the world because they sound the same live as they do on the record. (I think they're shit either way tbh) and I was saying I would rather go to a concert and not hear a carbon copy of the cd.

But anyway, would you like to go see a band and hear a carbon copy of the cd or just a good performance?

I don't know why, but this made lol super hard.
alot of people assume that when a band is performing live, they are attempting to reproduce what they have previously "perfected" in the studio, but this is not the case with many bands.

Now, I do not listen to Muse regularly, so I cannot speak for them, but I know of many bands that write material specifically for live use. IE, they attempt to reproduce in the studio what they have perfected in live performance. Most of the bands today that I see write this way are sort of underground musicians, especially folk and folk-rock ones. (of course, there are exceptions) But I know classic musicians such as The Who and Bruce Springsteen wrote this way, at least for their earlier material.

And if you look at the live recordings from these bands (in that era, of course), you can really tell. There is an energy in their live performance that is raw and unmatched from their studio sessions. Its NOT "My Generation with a couple of nifty solos added and the instrumentation changed up a bit," but rather it is "My Generation as it was originally meant to be heard, and the studio version does no justice to it."

It depends on the bands, obviously. But I appreciate a good live performance, and its rare that I've seen a band who writes songs in this way that isnt absolutely stellar live.
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Aug 11, 2010,
Let's take skindred for example.
When playing live they change songs a fair bit with putting large breaks in some songs while benji talks to the crowd before jumping back into the chorus and the crowd going wild. Skindred are amazing live and it's the crowd interaction that separates them from anyone else.
It is nice to hear carbon copies of the records but to be a great live band it's not needed.

The secret to Muse's performance awesomeness isn't just studio version reproduction (which I don
t entirely agree with they always throw in riffs and different solos ect) it's that they're simply spectacular
THIS

I challenge you to find a note for note duplication of this song. This is coming from a sworn jam band fan, but my theory is that if a band doesnt change it up at least a little bit, at the very least offer me a different visual experience, I won't shell out money for a ticket to see them.
Quote by mtforever
Note-4-Note solos aren't my thing, I prefer a little improvisation, otherwise it doesn't have that organic feel of a live performance.

Some styles don't lend themselves to very much improvisation though.

+1

I like to see bands do better live than they do on the CD.
i.e. I like how Yngwie Malmsteen plays some of his songs differently live than they are on CD. I like that.
I like to see something a little different than on what's on the CD.
I don't want to suddenly think, "I hope they aren't lipsinking."
Quote by neidnarb11890
I'd rather see a band play sloppy while putting a lot of energy into the set than watch four guys stand around playing the same stuff, if that's what you mean.

Are you an Avril Lavine fan?