Hi,
I'm giving classical guitar lessons after school and to do it I have to leave my guitar in the car, in the extreme heat, for up to 6 hours. I wwas wondering if this is very bad for the guitar? Will/might it cause permament damage to it? Is there any type of case I can use that will work better insulating heat?
That's pretty bad for the guitar...especially a classical with no truss rod. Why leave it in your car? I would go out of my way to not do a thing, even for a shorter period of time. I took my Taylor to a movie with me.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
yes the heat can cause the neck to warp which pretty much ruins the guitar, even small amounts of heat cause it to become untuned. i leave my windows cracked open and put my guitar down in the back seat inside its case, also park in the shade when you can. Also your guitar's finish can be ruined from direct sunlight
There's no direct sunlight as its in a case. I do that because, at least fo rnow, I have too... There's no time to go home and pick up the guitar, and I tried taking it to college lessons with me and the dick teachers said if I brought it in again I wouldnt be allowed in class... not sure why as its closed and not being a dstraction.

Car is my only option until I befriend someone with office space that can maybe store it
Quote by revoh
There's no direct sunlight as its in a case. I do that because, at least fo rnow, I have too... There's no time to go home and pick up the guitar, and I tried taking it to college lessons with me and the dick teachers said if I brought it in again I wouldnt be allowed in class... not sure why as its closed and not being a dstraction.

Car is my only option until I befriend someone with office space that can maybe store it

Holy shit, your professors are assholes. When I was in high school (not starting college 'til Spring at the earliest), I brought my Taylor with me everywhere.

Sunlight isn't the issue, it's the heat. As others have said, that's really not good for it. You may simply be S.O.L. Try to find another place to store it or try to take it with you. You don't have some not-a-jackass professor who will let you store it in their office or something? I used to do that with a viola.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 10, 2010,
When the guitar expands in the heat, everything gets loose, and things can droop or warp. When it contacts when it cools, it won't be as strong as it was. The effect will be worst on the strings - they will lose a lot of tension and sound like turd afterward.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Here's an article about heat stress and its effect on guitars.

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenMaint/Heat/Heat/heat1.html

It's not pretty.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I took my Taylor to a movie with me.

Did he enjoy it?
Quote by Flower83
Did he enjoy it?

She liked it, though I think she went a little out of tune by the end of Inception.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Your guitar is ON the sun. Literally on the sun? I don't see how he made to the sun to be honest, but yeah that's pretty bad.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
how did you get your guitar on the sun? yes that sounds dangerous.

seriously though, my guitar's outside pretty often, doesn't seem to do any damage, but idk if its different for electrics, i only have a classical acoustic

edit: and now i realize this is the acoustic section so i feel stupid
Last edited by TMVATDI at Aug 11, 2010,