So I have an amp thats going to last me a long time. I want a guitar thats going to last a lifetime, but im going to hold off for a while to buy that.

Until then I want to buy some new pickups. I wanted to buy Seymour Duncan antiquity pickups but I know little about them.

Also what are some other good pickups? Scatter wound or not. I have a mahogany body epi les paul. My influences are

Tool
Incubus
SRV
Joe Bonamassa
Stone Temple Pilots
10 Years
Any help is appreciated!!
A good start would be figuring out which pickups each of these bands/artists uses

Tool - humbuckers
Incubus - Jazzmaster singles
SRV - Single coils
Joe Bonamassa - humbuckers
Stone Temple Pilots -humbuckers.
10 Years - never ehard of 'em, but i'm going to guess humbuckers

now, it's really hard to get a good SRV single coil tone out of a les paul, even when splitting the coils. believe me, i've tried. Considering the rest of them (save Incubus) uses humbuckers, I'd say just go with a good set of boutique humbuckers from one of the sites that forsaknazrael mentioned. you could always

the other route you could go is to get one of them newfangled P-Rail contraptions from Seymour Duncan. Once again, it will get you a single coil tone, but it won't get you a SRV tone.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I dont really expect to get that Stevie tone out of humbuckers, I know how hard it is. lol.

But with the rest, Im not sure how hot of a pickup I need. I want something articulate, and clear, but warm. Ive looked through all of them, and Bareknuckles are a little to pricey. 320 bucks is to much for me.
I don’t understand why you would want antiquity humbuckers to get any of those tones. Antiquities are for vintage tones, and that’s not what you’re listening to.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^ampwise, yeah. Agreed.

But you can use PAF voiced stuff for all of that. You don't need hot modern pickups to play modern music....

+1

A nice PAF or hot PAF is the most versatile pickup there is IMO. Unless you're Min.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
My total budget would be about 250. But id prefer less if possible.

EDIT: I apologize for the bump, but i dont want to start a whole new thread
I would say, get a hot humbucker set, then coil split/coil tap them so you can have a little more flexibility on your tone. If you do this, don't do it with antiquity pups, just hot one's like maybe the blackouts by SD or even the evo's from dimarzio
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Can you coil split the blackouts? I dont know if i want actives either. Id prefer passives. How do the evos sound? like a general idea?
Coil split usually sounds like shit. Nothing like a good single coil. Your original idea of the Antiquities or some Bare Knuckles would work fine and that's what I'd suggest.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by nickdohle
My total budget would be about 250. But id prefer less if possible.

EDIT: I apologize for the bump, but i dont want to start a whole new thread

Cool. Good healthy budget.

I don't recommend Blackouts, just because you want to be versatile - it's easier to get dirtier and heavier than it is to get cleaner and less gainy.

I'm going to recommend a set that's not breaking the bank, because TBH, at your range, even a pair of the antiquities are out of the question!

A pair of Dimarzio Breeds. Fat, aggressive tone, kinda like a beefy PAF tone. I think they sound great in mahogany guitars. They can do your more vintage tones, and they can do your heavier tones. Easy.
^Set of Antiquities is $210. But the Breed is a pretty nice pickup. It does work well in midrange-y body woods like mahogany and basswood. You might want to get a PAF Pro or something like that for the neck if you play a lot of cleans as I think the Breed neck pup isn't the best for that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

A seymour duncan 59 in neck and custom 5 in bridge is a really versatile combo. check it out.

The antiquities are also good.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
WTF! They raised the price in the last week! I remember a thread last week where I had to link it and they were $105. Usually price increases come around NAMM time.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

bridge pup - guitarforce Rebelfire
neck pup - guitarforce lord of the blues
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
If you want some less expensive but still quality pickups, I'd go for Guitarfetish.com.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.