Page 1 of 2
What's the deal with all the Ibanezes (I'm not really sure that's the correct plural, but oh well) in Australia costing so damn much?
$450 for an RG170DX? (Admittedly, I found one for $350, so) $560 for an ART100?
Ridiculous. What's the deal, guys?

EDIT: This thread's title looks like it was written by Ed Roman.
Last edited by knotrice at Aug 10, 2010,
I came in here expecting to say "its gibson, get over it"
But then i lol'd
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm
^what he said.
EDIT: @littlephil
In the US an RG370DX is $400.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You get what you pay for with most popular guitars. The USA stuff is more overpriced than any of the Asian stuff IMO.
It costs a lot to ship it out there.

Plus it's got the name factor.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
It costs a lot to ship it out there.

Think real hard about that: why would it cost any more to ship a guitar made in Asia to Australia than it does to ship one to the USA?

Anyway, stuff costs more in Australia and Europe because you guys cave in and pay the higher prices. Americans are tightwads and so we get stuff cheap.
Quote by Slashestranged
(Invalid img)

I'm seconding this, a GRG here in Newfoundland, Canada's friggin' $400(but oddly, a normal RG's $500). XD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by jpnyc
Stuff costs more in Australia and Europe because you guys cave in and pay the higher prices. Americans are tightwads and so we get stuff cheap.

Explain?
Last edited by knotrice at Aug 10, 2010,
USA has an absolutely HUGE market for guitar gear. They buy in such huge quantities that the brands can afford to give them stuff discounted to keep them buying. The lower discounted prices keep retail price lower, so people can afford to keep on buying guitars, which creates a demand for more guitars.

Simple as that.
Must be because you're in Australia.
Here in the states Ibanez is the cheapest high quality brand. I would get one if I could find an RG with a neck profile that works with me.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by AngusPetrucci
I came in here expecting to say "its gibson, get over it"
But then i lol'd

+1

Doesn't australia use a different kind of dollar?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

dollar is different amount, but even with conversion it still doesn't work out to the price of things in the states (gear is still cheaper in the states).

i know this because i live in canada. certain gear here can cost up to double the price you guys in the states get. for example, the Black Label Chorus by MXR here (at two local shops, not sure of other dealers) costs $175, and I've seen it on musicians friend for $100.
honestly, who buys retail besides beginners who havent visited UG?

unless youre a beginner, in which you HAVE visited UG.

ive saved at least $4000 from not buying retail. im sure others can agree.
Its because there is a FAR larger market in the US, like User_Name336 said. A distributor in the US might recieve 2000 guitars in a month to go to dealers around the country. In Australia, the distributor might get 200 guitars. Obviously I'm making these figures up but there is a much larger number of guitarists and instrument dealers in the US, so there is a much higher supply and demand, so they get discounts because of the numbers of guitars they're getting.
Quote by Arterial
honestly, who buys retail besides beginners who havent visited UG?

unless youre a beginner, in which you HAVE visited UG.

ive saved at least $4000 from not buying retail. im sure others can agree.

What are you implying?
if you're getting at buying everything used, once again, only the states really has a market large enough for that to be possible. i've been looking for certain guitars/amps/pedals and i'm lucky if i run across each one once a year. i live in canada (southern ontario to be more precise), and we have a large enough population. even still, the market just isn't there.

also, shops are much less inclined to give any discounts unless they know you personally and do a lot of business with them. when i buy gear locally, i get discounts of maybe 15% (no tax) and picks or strings or power supply thrown in ONLY because i go there so often and they know me well. other shops straight up say they cant do any more than 5% on most things or nothing at all. the market just isn't big enough to allow for it.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
get over it, if you can`t afford one save up if you want one...... kids

that comment was so helpfull and mature.
no the entire thread is so immature, the TS is crying `cos of the cost of a ibby, there`s nothing he can do about what a company charges, every company will periodically put the prices up it`s called business, when i started playing i couldn`t afford a amp so i built myself one from a circuit diagram in a electronics magazine housed it it a orange box and used the speakers from the parcel shelf from a wrecked car....

if you can`t afford something you can`t have it or you have to make do with what you`ve got and be grateful........simple

now i`ve got some nice gear but i`ve worked hard scrimped and saved, even gone without food to get it, but not once did i cry that the price is too high but when i got the asking price saved up then i was in a position to haggle and get a minor reduction on the price.

if you want something so much, then if you make reasonable sacrifices you will get what you lust for.
Quote by Enix165
I'm seconding this, a GRG here in Newfoundland, Canada's friggin' $400(but oddly, a normal RG's $500). XD

Holy shit another newfie on UG!

Yes man. Prices here are ridiculous. I never buy locally they ask way too much. But most people are too stupid to do a bit of research and thats how they survive.

An epi les paul junior, about 100 bucks on GC. At my local store 400 dollars lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
my ibanez was a reasonable price for the Series, its an SAS36FM

it cost me £475
probably the best purchase i have ever made tbh.. its that guitar... you know. the one that you dream of owning.... that one that just feels right
i'm Ginger its fun
What the fùck is this thread? Ibbys are some of the most reasonably priced guitars. What does he expect? To get them for free?
I think ibanez are priced pretty damn good, compared to Gibson and Fender.
But I guess its up to personal opinion, you are kind of paying for the name. You can get a custom built guitar for the same price as a JEM but you buy the JEM coz Vai designed it and plays them.
Quote by xmxybg
Spam

God damn spammers. *reported*
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
they were just selling an rg5ex1 for $350 new locally in the us

lol@overpriced

such good guitars for the money, too bad a wizard II neck is to flat for myself
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by Tempoe
You get what you pay for with most popular guitars. The USA stuff is more overpriced than any of the Asian stuff IMO.

+1 on this although I might get flamed for saying so. I think a LOT of guitar stuff and especially the stuff made here is WAY overpriced!! We have a lot of gear in the US and it's basically affordable but if it's manufactured here watch out! Sometimes it's okay other times your wallet will be screaming. Here's a good case in point and what will probably get me flamed but I will say it and apologize to all my friends in advance. I love nice Strats just as much as the next guy but I don't see myself shelling out $1,300+ for any guitar really unless I just want it so bad I can't stand it! Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're hand crafted by a single person just like a Les Paul, I know, you don't have to tell me. But how much do you think that same guitar would cost if it were hand crafted with all the same quality and components by a Korean guitar maker??

Please note that I prefer stuff to be built by the USA for economical reasons but I'm just trying to make a point here. And yes I own a Korean made Schecter C1 Classic and I don't consider it cheap. Hell it cost me almost $800, but how much would it have cost had it been built here in the US. I'm guessing much more.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
The buy USA built for quality is now going rapidly with the improved quality of the imports. The only thing keeping it going is the manufacturers saving all their best parts for the USA guitars. Not to say there has been any drop in the quality of the US guitars.
Ibanez? Overpriced? Perhaps costly, but they're worth every penny.

You be trippin' balls, playa.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
You have my sympathies, OP. Acid trees, lethal spiders, crocodiles the size of a mini-van and birds that can slice a hole in your neck? And don't your video games cost a lot too? Get out of there as soon as possible before it consumes you!
Ibbys and Schects are really cheap here in the states, and I've heard this complaint from Aussies before. Perhaps it's why there are so many fanboys of both brands here on UG. Quite honestly, if I had to pay what you would have to pay for my same guitar, I wouldn't advocate it at all.
Look at the S series instead of RGs. Amazing quality for the money.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
I agree, I think Ibanez is over priced in the US too. Really you're just buying the Wizard neck and Edge Tremolo. The finish is weak and the pickups are garbage. It's especially evident that you're not getting much once you get in the $1000(american) price range. I'd take a high end LTD over an expensive Ibanez any day, but I'm not obsessed with having the thinnest neck ever like a lot of other people seem to be.

And All the famous people that endorse Ibanez are playing a custom with aftermarket pickups. The standard Ibanez just doesn't cut it.
Page 1 of 2