Ive played through one before was pretty cool actually. Made the strat sound very much like an acoustic. sounded natural and well very acoustic.
I say try it out if you can 1st. it might end up being easier to just play clean live especially if your chours and stuff is quite heavy, switching to clean then switching the acoustic on might not be your ideal solution...
Guitars:
Fender Acoustic
Gibson Les Paul w/ DiMarzio Pups

Amp:
Blackstar HT Stage 60
Effects:
(Powered by T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.)
Korg Pitchblack
CAE MC404 Wah
Blackout Effectors Twosome Fuzz
BOSS PH-3
BOSS DD-7
I've got one and I use it for a few songs that require an acoustic type sound. I think it sounds pretty good for what it is. I can't be bothered to lug an acoustic around to all my gigs, and I don't have the money to buy the one that I want, so I think it's a good compromise.

I'd try and play one if you can, and definitely try and find one used. I can't remember but I think they are around $100+ new, and I got mine used at GC for $55.
What guitar have you got? IMO the best way to get a good acoustic tone without an acoustic is to use a piezo system.
Quote by littlephil
What guitar have you got? IMO the best way to get a good acoustic tone without an acoustic is to use a piezo system.

this. if you have a piizo bridge installed in your guitar, you have the added benefits of blending your magnetic and piezo signals on top of not having to run back to your pedalboard to change back and forth.

check out L.R. Baggs and Graphtech
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by chip46
The AC-3 does have a piezo mode, but I can't compare to what it sounds like compared to the real thing. A piezo system would definitely cost more than what you would pay for this pedal though. I think it would depend on OP's budget.

the AC3 is about $100 and the LR Baggs strat bridge is only $118. i'd say it's worth the extra money. Musiciansfriend actually has a used one for sale that's cheaper than the AC3 right now.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/LR-Baggs-XBridge-for-Fender-Vintage-Strat?sku=307101
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I've got an ac-2. Its the same thing only not cosm (better imo) and no reverb. I love it but I have an acoustic. It makes your electric guitar sound just like an acoustic. Its great theres even 3 different acoustic models to choose from. It also is a great bass guitar effect. I'd sell you mine for $50. PM me with interest.
Pm me if you've got some pedals to sell
Last edited by AlaskanYeti at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
the AC3 is about $100 and the LR Baggs strat bridge is only $118. i'd say it's worth the extra money. Musiciansfriend actually has a used one for sale that's cheaper than the AC3 right now.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/LR-Baggs-XBridge-for-Fender-Vintage-Strat?sku=307101

Yeah but I doubt you find an LR Baggs used for $50-60. I've heard mixed things about the LR Baggs too, and you have 4 different modes with the AC-3. Not saying the LR Bagg's isn't worth it, but it's a bit more permanent, whereas a pedal can just be unplugged.

Plus with buying used pedals you can sell them back at the same cost, or even make a profit. As soon as you bought a new piezo system it would already be worth less.
Quote by chip46
Yeah but I doubt you find an LR Baggs used for $50-60. I've heard mixed things about the LR Baggs too, and you have 4 different modes with the AC-3. Not saying the LR Bagg's isn't worth it, but it's a bit more permanent, whereas a pedal can just be unplugged.

Plus with buying used pedals you can sell them back at the same cost, or even make a profit. As soon as you bought a new piezo system it would already be worth less.

Not to mention you have limited options as far as guitars go.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Jhachey22

You need a preamp with it too though, and thats an extra $90. Still, it would sound a fair bit better.
I'm on abit of a budget at the moment, so it seems that getting the petal would be the logical way to go especially as you guys seem to think that it does a pretty good job.

I'm using a Epiphone Prophecy SG Custom EX at the moment. Thet piezo system seems that it might do a slightly better job but because of price and because its abit more permanent it might not be the way to go for my own situation.

I'm not really familiar with the LR Baggs so i'm not really sure there??
When we record in the next few weeks i'll be using an actual acoustic for the verse so it's not like the quality will be worsened by using the petal.
I just really wanted to gauge your guys reaction on the petal and see if you liked it or not cause I know alot of you will diss some gear staright up if you don't like it but it seems to have gone down well.
Well, if you get a piezo, your going to have to do some routing. Getting it installed professionally will probably be advisable. The AC-3 has two outputs so you can completely bypass distortion boxes so you can say...
Run your AC-3 bypass into distortions, choruses, ect, then get a cable that splits 2 female 1/4' jacks into 1 male 1/4' jack. get that into your EQ, Noise gate, then out to your amp, if you don't have that, just get the splitter and run it straight into the amp. Or if your amp has 2 inputs you could just take that option.

Either way, whether you get a piezo or the pedal, haters gonna hate...
I have the AC3 and it's kinda nice... not perfect, takes some fiddling to get a passable acoustic sound. It's more of a novelty than anything else, and is very sensitive to the pickups in your guitar. At higher volumes it starts to distort, which isn't good as it's generally a quiet pedal. But it's not too bad.
Yeah they are really cool pedals. Not a necessity by any means. But still really cool and a great effect to stick before a distortion or just to make your electric sound acoustic. I really like the Jumbo setting on it. But as stated if you start really waking the strings and playing hard it starts to break up a bit.
Pm me if you've got some pedals to sell
I think those pedals sound trebley and weak...like almost everything else Boss makes.

Invest in something nicer TS...if you want your guitar to sound like an acoustic, a Piezo is the way to go.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsiknPwdR7o

doesn't sound too bad actually, all I had heard was the previous version, which didn't sound as good as this one, and it didn't have the line out feature...
it can be nice i guess, if you're on a budget, but anyways, the crowd won't really notice a big difference if you use it vs if you go clean
Quote by SLonergan
I think those pedals sound trebley and weak...like almost everything else Boss makes.

Invest in something nicer TS...if you want your guitar to sound like an acoustic, a Piezo is the way to go.

I don't think mine sounds trebley. Maybe that's because it has "top" and "bottom" knobs. You can make it as non trebley as you want. That's also why it comes with 4 modes to pick from. I don't think something as permanent as installing a piezo system in a guitar is always the best idea, especially if you'll only be using it on a couple of songs. Maybe if you were a professional musician and had whatever extra guitars you wanted to do it to.