playing an instrument and singing? Because my band cant find a bass player I decided to give it a try for the sake of the band. Keep in mind I play a little guitar so it's not like I'm picking up an instrument for the first time. Are there any exercises anybody did to improve on this multitask or is the only thing to do is practice? Thats kind of what I'm leaning towards...Any little thing will help.
Know your guitar part down pat, so you can do it automatically without thinking. That way you can let your fingers' muscle memory handle the guitar while your brain handles the vocals (or vice versa) .
its best to just practice at it it becomes easier eventually
it becomes alot easier to sing when you already know the guitar/bass part cold
I've become fairly good at singing while playing. You have to practice it to be good at it though. At first, it's hard co-ordinating your guitar part with the words. But as you practice, it becomes a lot easier. You definitely need to know your guitar part well though. Like so well that you do it in your sleep.
Yeah I figured it was going to take a lot of practice. I've been playing this 5string bass for 3 days or so getting in about 3 of prac per day. Thanks alot for the help!
Try humming the vocals over what you're playing first.

It takes insane amount of practice to feel comfortable doing this -- provided that both the vocals and guitar parts are decently hard. God help you if they're polyrhythmic.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Oh a polyrhythm is when two different rhythms sound at once, basically. It's more complicated than that, but suffice to say they are hard to play and sing at the same time. Typically when songs are meant to be played and sung at the same time, those kinds of things don't happen.

If you like Neutral Milk Hotel you could practice some of their songs. Most of them are simple to play but harder to sing, so it allows you to get comfortable playing in the background and focusing on your weak point, which I assume is singing.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
Try humming the vocals over what you're playing first.

It takes insane amount of practice to feel comfortable doing this -- provided that both the vocals and guitar parts are decently hard. God help you if they're polyrhythmic.

This is why Sting needs more respect than he gets.

Make sure you know the bass part perfectly. Not just 'pretty good.' Perfectly. Once that's done, make sure you know the vocal part perfectly. Again, not just pretty good. Know the melody and the lyrics to the extent that you can sing it perfectly without even thinking about it. Then try and combine the two.