Yes. I've searched through the forums, but have found no clear answer to what is the best way to plug a single SM57 into a computer (Mixer? What do I need?).

I plan on recording guitar and drums. I have seen recordings of drummers using one successfully on its own.

What are my options? The pros and cons.
Buy an interface, plug mic into interface, ???, Profit
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by RockAddict311
Would Mic>preamp>comp work
?

for example SM57>ARTtubePREAMP>laptop?

You don't just want a preamp, your sound will basically still be limited by your computers A/D convertor.

You need an interface, such as this one.
^ That M-Audio Fast Track interface is pretty good. Another good option is a Line 6 POD Studio UX1. If you want slightly better (more expensive) alternatives, look into the M-Audio Fast Track Pro or the Edirol UA-25EX.

All of the above are excellent USB interfaces that will do just what you need; plug it into your computer, plug your mic into it, and then you can use your DAW (digital audio workstation, your recording software) to record from your mic. So you'll need a DAW too; try Reaper, it's good and free!

The cheaper options I listed offer only one mic input and less functionality; the more expensive ones have more inputs so you can record from multiple mics/instruments at once, and have more functions, like compressors and -20dB pads and such. If you don't need any of these functions, though, you can safely go for the cheaper interfaces. In your case, either the M-Audio Fast Track or the Line 6 POD Studio UX1 would be the best choices, because you only want to record one track at once. I'd go for the M-Audio, though! It has phantom power, which is a function you'll need should you ever decide to get a condenser mic.

Hope that helps!
Quote by RockAddict311
Yes. I've searched through the forums, but have found no clear answer to what is the best way to plug a single SM57 into a computer (Mixer? What do I need?).

I plan on recording guitar and drums. I have seen recordings of drummers using one successfully on its own.

What are my options? The pros and cons.

Have you looked into the resources thread at the top of the page?
If so, you probably have come across my videos and watched things like #1...
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751253

Recording drums with 1 mic??!?! Crazy!
I also suggest buying an interface with more than one or two inputs as you may want to expand your mic collection one day to record those drums better and if you have a small interface youll be finding yourself having to sell the old one only to buy a new one.
Either get an interface, or an XLR to USB cable and just do it that way. I'm not an expert on this but the latter is how I do it (also an SM57) and it works fine for me.