So I'm on a college visit up in michigan, and I and some free time and wanted to go by the guitar center for giggles

here are just some of my thoughts on the stuff i played on and the place itself:

first off the selection wasn't as wide as where I live (i live south of Houston) BUT
the guitars and amps were in better condition all the guitars I picked up were in tune to either standard or drop d, and all were in good condition set up wise, which was a pleasant suprise compared to the disrespect I've seen some instruments get at a guitar center

on to the gear:

first I played a American standard tele through a vox ac30c2

Tele: I'd played on a tele before, great for twangy and fairly smooth cleans, think a more articulate strat bridge but a less articulate neck, good overall sound but definitely not for hard rock or metal

Vox: excellent cleans, not too many tone controls but you don't really need them, can get pretty distorted, but overall I would say cleans are very light crunch are it's thing, a less bright sounding, rounder fender amp would be very much like this, not too loud but it doesn't need to be now that I think about it, you could say the volume really fits the vibe of this amp

(just as a side note, to give thoughts on guitars I seperately played them through a line6 spider valvle mk ii, simply because I knew it's character and I could use it as a control to gauge the guitars)

then i played an American strat through a spider valve

Strat: no real complaints tonally, would say it is great except maybe not QUITE as clear as I feel it should be, but it's no big deal, only 2 notes, neck joint is a little prohibitive to accessing the upper frets IMO, and I've gotten used to different bridges so I would try to palm mute and just completely mute the strings! I think this may have been partly due to the guitar having .09 gauge strings plus the fact I don't play a strat, but I managed to compensate well enough

Then, I got a guy to give me the hookup, and I played a Ibanez JEM 7V white through a Mesa stiletto deuce (the cab was line 6 but it had vintage 30's so it was good enough)

JEM: love the feel of this guitar, though I love ibanez in general, didn't get to play around with the trem, but did do fairly extensive tone testing. It's bright, but not as bright as some say, just depends on playing style I think, great sustain, scalloped frets are not really needed but are a nice luxury, pups are hot and clear but not too hot and can clean up amazingly well through a good tube amp, I see how vai gets such varied tones, though in personally prefer even hotter pups, pretty good through whole tonal range and good for almost all genres of music, though not really super excellent at all, I'd say a 8.5-9 out of 10 for each style though

The Deuce: gonna try to be brief but clear, cleans: all you need, can overdrive well and fat or more fender like, not too much else to say
high gain: IMO this amp is not suited for heavy metal or extreme metal, it just doesn't have enough gain, the different settings are crunch, tite gain and liquid gain, tite is the most metal channel IMO, good amount of gain that can clean up but still get the job done, liquid is more gain, but too muddy, not great for anything requiring ultra clear distortion

This is just my 2 cents on everything, feel free to ask questions or comment, btw, residents of Michigan, loving your state, much better than waking up in 102 degree heat at 8 in the morning
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
When I go to Guitar Center, I immediately go to the vintage guitar room where it's nice and quiet...same with the acoustic guitar room. I can't hear the effing guitar anywhere else cause either someone is shredding really loud (and really sloppy), or someone is playing bass really loud.
Quote by v0odoo_child001
When I go to Guitar Center, I immediately go to the vintage guitar room where it's nice and quiet...same with the acoustic guitar room. I can't hear the effing guitar anywhere else cause either someone is shredding really loud (and really sloppy), or someone is playing bass really loud.

suprisingly, all the people that were there, of which there were very few, only like 3 played with Amy volume to be heard from further than right next to the amp, and most of them were playing jazz, or just didn't play for very long

lucky me I guess
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration