Hey everybody! Shaggy here, glad to be back and psyched at what I just brought home. I've got a Heathkit TA-16 guitar amp that I bought on craigslist for $50
THERE ARE DEALS OUT THERE PPL, CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!ARGULATDFYJVYUJKCR!!!

So as I was saying...

I got this amp on craigslist, supposedly they only made these in the 60's and 70's, but I'd be really greatfull if anyone could help me find out what year specifically it was made it. I know you guys love this kind of oddball vintage thing and I hoped someone would except it as a challenge ;D

VERY cool stuff, cloth wires and a GIANT capacitor about the size of my fist in there :O

But what's even cooler is that these were kit amps, that's right I said kit amps, as in you buy it and it comes in a big ol'e box of parts and you put it together yourself. I didn't even know they did that :O

The reason mine was so cheap is that it blew a breaker, and it needs a new one, could be the breaker just got old and quit or something else did and blew the breaker, I'll start a new thread for that, but right now i just want to know how old exactly this thing is.

The serial number on the amp appears to be 702 9192-1
The serial numbers on the speakers are:
Left Speaker: OXC12A615
Right Speaker: OXC12A616

I know you guys love pics so here's a few \m/(^.^)\m/

Yuck, messy pic, top left amp

Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
How are we supposed to identify that?

The pics are so blurry I'm getting a headache..
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
How are we supposed to identify that?

The pics are so blurry I'm getting a headache..

I gave you a model and serial number, that's really your best bet for dating an amp.
It's a Heathkit TA-16
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Hey everybody! Shaggy here, glad to be back and psyched at what I just brought home. I've got a Heathkit TA-16 guitar amp that I bought on craigslist for $50
THERE ARE DEALS OUT THERE PPL, CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!ARGULATDFYJVYUJKCR!!

first off, great find! i love old amps, got a couple myself.

now for dating. this is the tricky part really. see most amplifiers are dated upon completion, but since this is a 'kit amp' it could have sat on the shelf for years waiting for someone to put it together. further more i am not too sure what all came with the amp kit (did it come with speakers? or are they after market?)

but all is NOT lost, the best thing for you to do is date components. the Output Transformer and speakers may have a date code stamped on them, so that way you can at least date the basic components. sounds like the speakers are Oxfords btw.

you will probably be hard pressed to get a good date on the thing, but at times people will write a date completion on the PCB or inside the chassis. there is no definitive way for you to get a date unless the builder left evidence somewhere.

i dated an old peavey cab from a small 'price sticker' on the 1/4" jack panel. i dated my music man amps because they write the date on the pcb. i dated my fender by finding a site that meticulously documented parts, components and SN's. i dated my gretsch by finding out it was made by supro and then finding a SN dater online. bottomline is that you have to be pretty crafty to date certain equipment
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Gumby's got the right idea, the only thing I'd add is that the pots will almost certainly have a date code on them. You won't know for sure unless you find a handprinted date somewhere on the amp, but if you have to resort to ballpark dates from the pots and transformers and speakers, you can get a good idea.
good point Colin, i was trying to think of a component that would 'for sure' have a date code and all i could come up with off the top of my head was 'speaker and OT'. great addition.

-ae
Well, it pays to look at them all anyways. Pots probably come out of a big bin at the factory and could be years old by the time they see an amp, whereas transformers and speakers probably come off a truck every once in a while and are more likely to be more recent.
that is why i was thinking the OT, the speakers i am kinda iffy about cuz chances are they are after market if it was a kit amp

-ae