So I hope to be getting into woodworking so I can make my own guitars (obviously lol) and was looking to start collecting some tools to get me started, and I found this ad, which seems like a total steal.

"I have three benchtop power tools for sale. A Delta Shopmaster 9" bandsaw, a Chicago Electric scrollsaw, and a 9" drillpress. All are in good condition and have the original manuals. With the woodworking that I have progressed into, I simply outgrew these tools. All of these tools would be good tools for beginers and/or hobbyists. The bandsaw has a miter guage, but needs a blade. The scrollsaw is a light duty model, but would be a good saw for small scale projects and model building; also has a miter guage. I'm asking $30 for the bandsaw, $20 for the drillpress, and $15 for the scrollsaw. These tools can be purchased seperately or as a group; if all three are purchased, I'll take $55 for the lot. Feel free to contact me by email at (email removed). "

Here are the pics from the ad.

So....

1) Would the bandsaw be sufficient for cutting body blanks, necks, etc.?
2)Would the drill press be necessary? I'm guessing it would be used for tuning peg holes, bridge post holes, etc.
3)Would I need the scroll saw?

Does it seem as good of a deal as I think it is?

Thanks.
I can tell you that all of those will be incredibly useful. However, they might not be big enough to get to certain parts of the guitar. For instance, when making the cutaways on the body the butt might hit the back of the bandsaw.
Quote by Turkeyburger
I can tell you that all of those will be incredibly useful. However, they might not be big enough to get to certain parts of the guitar. For instance, when making the cutaways on the body the butt might hit the back of the bandsaw.

Ah, I see. But would the bandsaw hold up to cutting without bending and such?

And could I cut most of a body blank with it and then use maybe a jigsaw or circular saw to finish the cutaways?

I think I'll get them because they're dirt cheap compared to what I've found.
The bandsaw can break very easily. I would saw definitely use a table saw. Our engineering class at school ended up with 3 broken bandsaws and all we used were fairly low density wood. I wouldn't risk it.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Quote by gatechballer
The bandsaw can break very easily. I would saw definitely use a table saw. Our engineering class at school ended up with 3 broken bandsaws and all we used were fairly low density wood. I wouldn't risk it.

But how would I cut the curves of a body with a table saw?
ah, valid point haha. I don't know, maybe ours were just really shitty. But definitely be very careful if you decide to use it.

EDIT: However, no matter what you wanna use, buy them. $55 is a phenomenal price for all that.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Last edited by gatechballer at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by gatechballer
ah, valid point haha. I don't know, maybe ours were just really shitty. But definitely be very careful if you decide to use it.

EDIT: However, no matter what you wanna use, buy them. $55 is a phenomenal price for all that.

Haha thanks. I hope the guy still has them :P
When I built an LP I used a jig saw to cut out the the body shape. Took a while but it came out great
Quote by Seref
When I built an LP I used a jig saw to cut out the the body shape. Took a while but it came out great

I saw someone on here do that which made me wonder. I'll be looking for one.

Since the bandsaw is 9" and may bend and stuff while cutting, couldn't I just use it for a rough cut then sand down to perfection haha?

PS - This is what I love about UG. 8 views, 7 replies.
DUDE! if you wont buy that stuff i will! i made a cigar box guitar with nothing but a hand saw and a power drill (Not even a press!). i'm gonna try to post some pics if i can. i bought a belt sander and am using it to make a cigar box ukulele, its a huge help! im thinking those tools will definitely help, and yeah the band saw blade can break if you're not careful and cut improperly.

as you can see (if the pics posted) i really just shape the necks, but its hard wood to work (i use red oak planks, and trust me it IS a hard wood!) With those kinds of woods, i recommend any power tool you can get your hands on. keep us posted on what you decide, im interested in building guitars and ukes without the use of cigar boxes! i saw some beautiful wood at home depot the other day and didnt buy it cuz i have no idea how to make the body of the guitar. specifically how to shape the sides of the body so it curves. any info will help! good luck!
Attachments:
CBG small.jpg
uke small2.jpg
Last edited by m0urning_cr0ws at Aug 11, 2010,