I started guitar 3 years ago, but only play for fun(like hit random string play random stuff) Last year i started practicing more and more. I first started learning some basic chords C,G, A etc. I read a bunch of stuff and it got really boring so i just started learning bunch of songs.

Now a year has gone by and i'm starting to understand a lot of things and why they work ( very slowly ), but i really dont know anything. I know how to play bunch of chords but i dont know what they are called. I dont know any scales or anyhting.

I basically got better by learning tons of songs. I've gotten pretty good, but i want to expand my knowledge, by learning scales, maybe bit of music theory etc.

Now i've tried to relearn everything starting back form the chords, and i still cant stick to it. It feel really boring. I am wondering is it helpful to learn everything from the beginning? I want to learn how to shred and write solos. I can shred but i usually just play random notes.

Questions

Is it necessary to learn all the notes on the fret board early on?

How to stick to lessons?

Should i take classes?

Any certain online lessons that are recommended?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
yes you should learn the notes on the fretboard its very important
lessons arent necessary but they are helpful
this website has many useful lessons in fact theres a couple good lessons on the front page right now
Quote by supersac
yes you should learn the notes on the fretboard its very important
lessons arent necessary but they are helpful
this website has many useful lessons in fact theres a couple good lessons on the front page right now

i've been using the one where its like everything. From the very beginning to the very end. If you dont mind do you think you can link me ? Also any good exercise for learning the fretboard notes?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"

Print a bunch of them and fill in when you're not doing anything. Either write specific scales, all the accidental notes, all the B's or F's or D's, etc. and put them where you're gonna see them - I have one on my wall in my room, one on my desk at work, one in my car...
Quote by Aashraya

Don't try and learn too much at once- you'll just overload yourself (which is never good). It's not necessary to learn every note right away- only the ones you're going to need to use (probably the notes on the A and E strings for Barre Chords etc.)

How to stick to lessons?

If you have a good teacher, and you're learning and improving, this shouldn't be too hard.

Should i take classes?

Lessons? Yes. They will really help you improve faster than trying to figure it all out on your own.

Any certain online lessons that are recommended?

Other than the ones on here, you can also check out my website below. There really are plenty of online lessons, depending on what you want to be able to do. Sometimes, though, they can be contradictory and/or confusing.

I suggest you get a teacher rather than just rely on the internet.
Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to call my drummers dad ( he knows this really awesome teacher) and ask him about taking lessons.

Thanks again guys
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya

Yes you want to become intimately familiar with your instrument if anything right? A good way is to do this is break it down into smaller units.

Here's one idea:
On odd days, pick one random string and stay only on that the entire length of the neck.
On even days, pick a random fret position and stick to that using all strings.

Now within this sub-unit, just spend time playing through some various scales including chromatic. (especially chromatic).
Goal is to absorb and memorize so take it slow... When you hit an Ab for example, think "this is an Ab". Better: say the notes aloud as you play them. BEST: sing the notes aloud as you play them.

Another idea is to go real slow and say the string, fret number AND note, out loud as you hit notes.

Do this a little bit every day. It will pay off guaranteed.
Good luck.
Yes it's quite important to know notes on the fretboard but don't try to learn them all at once. It's kind of a bit too much to learn in one go.

If you can get a good teacher, sticking to classes should be pretty easy and if you can afford or find a good guitar teacher, then I would definitely recommend having one.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
Quote by Aashraya
I started guitar 3 years ago, but only play for fun(like hit random string

You consider hitting "random" strings playing guitar?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease

You consider hitting "random" strings playing guitar?

i did then cant you let a 12 year old have his fun? The reason i put the "()" is so you didnt think i was acutely playing

and the rest of you guy. Thanks a lot this is motivating me to start learning new things. I'm going to see how much a teacher cost and if its too much i'll just do some online lessons for now.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Remember that perseverance is key to achieving your potential!

This coming from experience, since I've had periods of MONTHS with zero motivation to practice/play at all, despite of taking lessons every once in a while.

No matter what you do; stick to it until you gain the results.
Quote by -Vogel-
Remember that perseverance is key to achieving your potential!

This coming from experience, since I've had periods of MONTHS with zero motivation to practice/play at all, despite of taking lessons every once in a while.

No matter what you do; stick to it until you gain the results.

thanks man! i'll try my best!
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit