I'm looking to get into Lap Steel playing, blues/rock type stuff (ala Ben Harper) in Open G tuning. I don't have much to spend (say <$200), but there are a lot of options. I looked at the Steel Guitar Forum, but I figured maybe a UGer might have experience with this stuff as well. Here are the ones I'm looking at

- Rondo SX LG1 ($130 shipped): single coil pickup, mahogany body, 22.5" scale length
- Recording King RG-31 ($120 used): P90 pickup, mahogany, 23.5" scale length
- Rogue Jersey Lightning ($150 at MF): humbucking pup, light body (possibly plastic? not sure, but def not tonewood), 23 3/16" scale length

I'm leaning toward the RK, because of the quality body and P90 pickup. Ultimately, I want something that will give me good blues-rock tone and can handle a medium amount of distortion. Anyone have any experience with these, or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
From your descriptions alone, I'd also go with the RG-31, though I don't have any experience with Lap Pedals.

Though I have to comment, distortion? That would be interesting. I don't think I've ever heard them used with distortion, but I don't know what they're regularly used for. I'm familiar with them due to their use by Avenged Sevenfold and Coheed and Cambria.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's not common, but it's out there. Generally, Lap steels are used for Hawaiian/Country (C6 tuning, mostly) but they are definitely used for blues/rock as well (Open G and E). I got put onto it by Roosevelt Collier in GC's King of the Blues (although he plays pedal steel, which is similar but different to lap steel: either way he gets some killer tones out of it, check out Youtube). But I've seen it used by Ben Harper (his badass lap steel has 2 SD '59 HBs...also costs $3200), and David Gilmour used one for a bunch of Dark Side of the Moon. I mainly want one because I like the idea of having an instrument exclusively for slide, and it's relatively inexpensive. Plus, it would lend itself better to slide than most regular guitars.

Avenged Sevenfold and C+C used a lap steel? Any particular songs you could point me towards?
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
A7X use a pedal steel on Gunslinger & Dear God from their self titled album. I also believe it's used in one of the songs from Nightmare, though I have to give it a listen again to figure out which one.

Travis from Coheed uses a lap steel on Once Upon Your Dead Body and The Willing Well II: Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness (both from From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness), according to Wikipedia. Those aren't exactly my favorite songs, so they didn't come to me immediately.

Youtube Wayne Andrews, the Old Bee Keeper by Prize Fighter Inferno (Claudio & Travis's side band), as I know for a fact that a pedal steel's used extensively in the solo.

EDIT: The song with the lap steel on Nightmare is Tonight the World Dies.

Also, forgive me if I've confused lap steel and pedal steel - I don't really know the difference, and I put what I think each one is.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 11, 2010,