In a freak accident my Ibanez GAX30 (terrible guitar I know, but it was my first) was reversed over by my brother as he drove the car to the garage because "it was too much of hassle to walk the five metres to the garage and grab the mic stand."

I began my search for a new guitar 2 weeks ago, I've been to a couple of stores, checked a few websites and I haven't really found anything that's taken my fancy, so I've decided it's time to head to UG for help.

Anything below about $800 AUD would be good. My Mum goes to America about once every two months, which will be handy considering how over priced guitars are in Australia.

I like to play blues/rock/classic rock and my favourite bands include The White Stripes, The Black Keys, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Strokes and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I know that only sets up very vague boundries but I have no idea what guitar I want.
Get a used Schecter hellraiser, or blackjack on Ebay.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
i dont know how 800 aud converts off hand but have a look at the prs se series, awesome value for the money.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by firebird103
pics or it didn't happen

is their a specific body style you like?

Haha i really cbf finding my camera... then finding the cord, but it wasn't the spectacular guitar-getting-run-over I would've hoped for. The head stock/first few frets were under the wheel and the body got pushed above my little practice amp.. so like the headstock snapped off. I'll end up taking a picture eventually so I'll like put it on your profile or whatever.

and as for the body style solid body or thin hollow body, and for body design nothing radical/spiky etc.

thanks
Quote by grizzli1994
Get a used Schecter hellraiser, or blackjack on Ebay.

the Schecter is about $1,200 in Australia, looks pretty good though, i'll look into it more. thanks
U can do much better than Schecter since ur playing blues/classic rock.

I suggest a Fender Mexican standard tele or a roadworn or American special tele. Ask ur mum to get it for u from america. it'll be cheaper
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by dr_john
i dont know how 800 aud converts off hand but have a look at the prs se series, awesome value for the money.

Looks pretty good. I look into it more, thanks heaps
ok

in general i can recommend just about any esp guitar that doesn't have emg's. You really don't want active pups probably judging by your list their. They're primarily built for metal players, but they are extremely high quality for the price (in comparison to other companies). They'll do all of those bands easily. Hear are a few

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-H401FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=430950
(don't be turned off by the idea of jazz pups, they're pretty nice to have actually for just about anything imo, my personal pick to stay in budget. If you want a really crisp clear tone then go with this)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC256-Electric-Guitar?sku=521009
(this one is solid as well, not as high quality)

Generally i would recommend an ltd to anyone that is 400 series or above, but since you probably don't want to hit the top of your budget i'm including the EC 256. Its a really solid guitar and i've personally played a few of them.

Also consider

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Singlecut-Electric-Guitar?sku=519375

note: i generally specialize in the metal area but these are all good balanced guitars that will do just about anything, I'd really recommend trying to play a ltd and seeing about the feel though, try to find one with a similar "thin u" neck. Almost everyone i know likes them but try out what you can. I wish you luck and pm if you have questions
note note: i'm to tired to check for grammar/spell errors, you'll just have to believe me when i say i'm not an idiot
Last edited by firebird103 at Aug 11, 2010,
I'm really liking the PRS. Just watched a few youtube videos and it has that real full thick tone I love, and it was surprisingly thin (as soon as i see LP looking bodies I immediately assume the guitar is thick and heavy:p)
I'll keep my eyes out for those ESP's though.
Thanks heaps for all your help!
Quote by LPDC
I'm really liking the PRS. Just watched a few youtube videos and it has that real full thick tone I love, and it was surprisingly thin (as soon as i see LP looking bodies I immediately assume the guitar is thick and heavy:p)
I'll keep my eyes out for those ESP's though.
Thanks heaps for all your help!

yeah, i recommended it because i just bought one last week. i got the SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24 and i just love it. i can't believe it for the price. thick tone and nice cleans when you want them.

it's also very light compared to my mia strat.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Not quite sure how much USD 500 AUD is, but I think it's enough for a Mexican Strat. They are decent compared to the American ones, and much cheaper. A MIM strat can do all of those styles easily.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
The only guitar I can think of that will comfortably play all your bands would be a mim used strat hss
Quote by coolstoryangus
THIS COULD WITHSTAND ANY FUTURE MOTOR COLLISONS GET THAT!

thats epicc haha
Same thing happened to a friend of mines friend, except it was a PRS...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Rautio
Your brother's paying for the guitar, right? :P

Nah, I already owed him $150, and my guitar wasn't worth much more than that anyway...