So I'm an acoustic guitar player and I especially enjoy Andy Mckee, Antointe Dufour, Kelly Valeau, etc. The only problem is that a lot of their tunings are unorthodox and it's a pain to constantly change tuning all the time. And it sucks when situations like this happen.

Me: Hey dude, I just learned a new song the other day.
Friend: Oh cool, can you play it for me?
Me: Yeah sure. *shuffles through clutters of stuff for electronic tuner*
*awkward pause while I come to a realization*
Me: Uhhhh, I left my tuner at home >_>
Friend: Oooookay then...

So, does anyone have any tips/tricks on these tuning and frequently changing between them?
A really easy way to tune without a tuner is to, first know what tuning you're already in, and then tune by playing the note you want on a different string and tuning to it.

For example; if you're trying to tune from standard to C#, the 6th string's 8th fret would be the same note as an open 5th string tuned to standard. So you tune the 6th string down 1 and a half steps, or 3 frets.

And then do the same with the rest of the strings. The newly tuned 6th string's 5th fret is how you want the 5th string to sound, then 5th string 5th fret=open 4th string, 4th string 5th fret=open 3rd string, 3rd string 4th fret=open 2nd string, 2nd string 5th fret=open 1st string.

Pretty much just know where each note on the fretboard and you'll be fine.
Not sure if that makes sense.
Last edited by geanes at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by geanes
A really easy way to tune without a tuner is to, first know what tuning you're already in, and then tune by playing the note you want on a different string and tuning to it.

For example; if you're trying to tune from standard to C#, the 6th string's 8th fret would be the same note as an open 5th string tuned to standard. So you tune the 6th string down 1 and a half steps, or 3 frets.

And then do the same with the rest of the strings. The newly tuned 6th string's 5th fret is how you want the 5th string to sound, then 5th string 5th fret=open 4th string, 4th string 5th fret=open 3rd string, 3rd string 4th fret=open 2nd string, 2nd string 5th fret=open 1st string.

Pretty much just know where each note on the fretboard and you'll be fine.
Not sure if that makes sense.

lol it kinda makes sense, but I don't know the notes on the fretboard is the problem >_>. I can tune really easy tunings like Drop D, and somehow I learned now to tune DADGAD, but I can't figure out any other tunings like the one for Andy Mckee's Hunter's Moon and such.