Page 1 of 2
Ok,

I have a roland micro cube, Works great.
Now i need some pedals. Im looking for a tone like; Children Of Bodom Arch Enemy, As I Lay Dying Ect.
I Mainly play Death Metal, Thrash.

My friend recommened the Boss MT-2 Pedal.
Is it Good?
Would i get the sound that i want out of it? If Not, What are some pedals like it.

My Budget is $70-140.

Anddd If I End up Getting It, My setup would be An Alexi 200, Roland Microcube And The Boss Mt-2.
Good Beginner/Practice Setup?
The boss microcube distortion sounds better then the boss metal zone! LOLZ NO SERIOUSLY IT DOES. I have owned both in my time and i still have the microcube, fun wee amp.
I mean honestly dude.. getting a pedal isn't gonna help much. Just use the Rectifier model on the amp and you'll be fine.

Roland is made by Boss, just so you know.
Just use the distortion of your amp. Distortion pedals are nothing but a marketing sham from companies that want to make an extra buck on kids that will fall for anything.
I played another Cube today and it seemed really muddy to me

Don't buy an MT-2, or any pedal for that matter to play through a Cube. Save up your money for a better amp
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I played another Cube today and it seemed really muddy to me

Don't buy an MT-2, or any pedal for that matter to play through a Cube. Save up your money for a better amp

Microcube sounds decent for what it is IMO. Not saying much but i dont think a metal zone will improve things much. Microcube is definatly a credible beginner setup.
Quote by LessThanLuke
Learning on a guitar with that unwieldy a shape isn't going to help for one thing. And don't bother with a pedal.

and a floyd, and a single humbucker,

their is so much facepalm in this thread. Dont buy a crappy pedal for a beginners amp, metal zones are fizzy shitboxes and they wont help you sound anything like anyone but a bumblebee caught in a tin can.

Conserve your gear money, no matter how small it is, scrimp like a mofo and when the time comes buy a nicer amp that can do what your after instead of blowing your money incrementally over time on an overpriced guitar and a crappy pedal.
well you could buy a Boss MT 2... and then crush or burn it... then thats one less of them in the world =)

but seriously.. DONT buy it, i made that mistake and i cant get rid of it now
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Last edited by Dave Frenzy at Aug 11, 2010,
inb4 handbanana recommends the equally as bad boss metalcore. And yeah i kinda agree with the others about the beginner guitar choice you got some hell ahead of you bro.
Well guys, he obviously didn't know, and chances are he can't do anything about it.

TS, if I were you, I'd look into getting a new amp, and surviving with the cubes distortion until then. Save the money you would have used to get the pedal, look at getting a Vypyr (I hate them, but many disagree), or save even more till you have around 300 bucks. If you're lucky, you could even get the JCA2112, but I'd settle for a Peavey Classic 30, even a Valveking 112. Only way you'll get any of those at that price is craigslist though (or eBay etc.)

Those may not necessarily be beginner amps, but they'd tie you down for at least a year or two. I'd probably go for the PC 30 or JCA though, the VK is notorious for having bad stock speakers.

You could also look at getting a Vox VT. They are great amps IMO. Just saw a small VT head with a cab (might be 1x10, in which case, no) for only 250 on CL.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
dont get the mt-2. It's one of the worst pedal ever and also the microcube doesn't take pedals well. Save up for a better amp. U could get a peavey vypyr with that budget.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by nightraven

The only one who deserves a here is you, I bet you have bought over 20 different distortion pedals and genuinely believe they help you get a better tone.
Quote by Ascendant
The only one who deserves a here is you, I bet you have bought over 20 different distortion pedals and genuinely believe they help you get a better tone.

You need to look at his gear and shut up.
Quote by Ascendant

You feckin idiot.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Ascendant

X2

I'm thinking of sigging your first post,but unfortunately two equally idiotic posts cannot be put in teh signature
Quote by Ascendant

oololololololol

You ever played a distortion other than a Boss unit?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Now i am in no way supporting the "distortion pedals are for stupid kids" guff (Hendrix used a fuzz face ffs) but I would have to say that you are better off just sticking with what's in your amp for now and saving your money for a real amp. The MT-2 won't sound good into your little amp (or anything else for that matter really), they aren't very good and into your amp it will be even worse.
Be patient and be content with what you have until you have more money in your savings account to buy a grown up amp. Patience is a virtue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ascendant
You just made my evening, dude. Thanks.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Cathbard
Now i am in no way supporting the "distortion pedals are for stupid kids" guff (Hendrix used a fuzz face ffs) but I would have to say that you are better off just sticking with what's in your amp for now and saving your money for a real amp. The MT-2 won't sound good into your little amp (or anything else for that matter really), they aren't very good and into your amp it will be even worse.
Be patient and be content with what you have until you have more money in your savings account to buy a grown up amp. Patience is a virtue.

Agreed. In this context, a dirt pedal is retarded. But in the case of already having a good amp and looking for more variety and tones it can't produce like fuzz, dirt pedals are a god send.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by CL/\SH
Well guys, he obviously didn't know, and chances are he can't do anything about it.

TS, if I were you, I'd look into getting a new amp, and surviving with the cubes distortion until then. Save the money you would have used to get the pedal, look at getting a Vypyr (I hate them, but many disagree), or save even more till you have around 300 bucks. If you're lucky, you could even get the JCA2112, but I'd settle for a Peavey Classic 30, even a Valveking 112. Only way you'll get any of those at that price is craigslist though (or eBay etc.)

Those may not necessarily be beginner amps, but they'd tie you down for at least a year or two. I'd probably go for the PC 30 or JCA though, the VK is notorious for having bad stock speakers.

You could also look at getting a Vox VT. They are great amps IMO. Just saw a small VT head with a cab (might be 1x10, in which case, no) for only 250 on CL.

So far this is the only post that makes any sense. Except for VT part
Quote by nightraven
whaa, mixed up terms that I don't want to understand, whaaa

It's amusing how you feel compelled to bash my vypyr that I haven't used since I put it in my gear page (around the time I signed up). I also find it amusing how you think that a distortion pedal = OD pedal, or a fuzz for that matter (sure, they distort the signal, but not to the same effect/purpose, it's really redundant to use the term distortion that loosely) and somehow think that I meant od pedals as well. Most people don't run a distortion pedal into the hi-gain channel of their amps the same way they use an OD. I don't expect the rest of you kids to understand this either, by all means keep laughing at me without even understanding what I am talking about and go buy yourself another metal zone.

Oh and I have a 6505+ now, and no Metalcore pedal in the world will be able to replace the dist in it.
Last edited by Ascendant at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by Ascendant
It's amusing how you feel compelled to bash my vypyr that I haven't used since I put it in my gear page (around the time I signed up). I also find it amusing how you think that a distortion pedal = OD pedal, or a fuzz for that matter (sure, they distort the signal, but not to the same effect/purpose, it's really redundant to use the term distortion that loosely) and somehow think that I meant od pedals as well. Most people don't run a distortion pedal into the hi-gain channel of their amps the same way they use an OD. I don't expect the rest of you kids to understand this either, by all means keep laughing at me without even understanding what I am talking about and go buy yourself another metal zone.

Oh and I have a 6505+ now, and no Metalcore pedal in the world will be able to replace the dist in it.

You do realize that there's no technical distinction between any of the three, right? You can use any of the generic OD/fuzz/distortion units to make one of the others. And the Metalzone is a piss poor excuse for a distortion pedal. Like I said, you obviously haven't tried any dirt pedals other than your usual GC crap.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Wow this is getting good. Ascendant you do realise theres more to standalone heavy distortion pedals then the crap fizzy bossmetalzonemetalcore/digitechdeathmetal pish (lol scottish) right?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Wow this is getting good. Ascendant you do realise theres more to standalone heavy distortion pedals then the crap fizzy bossmetalzonemetalcore/digitechdeathmetal pish (lol scottish) right?

I think you mean Welsh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ascendant

ok grandpa

now tell us what other distortion pedals you have used

lets say you have a single channel fender clean amp,now you magically go backwards in time and become 15 again and now you want headcrushing distortion ..but you obviously cant because all you have is a single channel clean fender amp,and no you cannot afford a 5150 or for that matter a mesa tri rec..

then is the time to use a distortion pedal...understand?
Quote by coolstoryangus

lol yeh,its getting fairly interesting now
Quote by coolstoryangus
You know whats funny. Calling people "kids" on the internet to make yourself feel superior

Spoken like a kid.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by archenemyfan
ok grandpa

now tell us what other distortion pedals you have used

lets say you have a single channel fender clean amp,now you magically go backwards in time and become 15 again and now you want headcrushing distortion ..but you obviously cant because all you have is a single channel clean fender amp,and no you cannot afford a 5150 or for that matter a mesa tri rec..

then is the time to use a distortion pedal...understand?

Sell the fender, buy a real amp.
Quote by Ascendant
Sell the fender, buy a real amp.

I'm the first person to say getting the right amp instead of pedals is the best way to go but in this case you're just being a twat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification