Hey all,

I've looked everywhere on UG and unless I keep missing the information I'm after, i don't think it's up here.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows (or has a link about) the proper technique for classical guitar and also the different names for the techniques used, such as "rest stroke" etc. (although I think many of them have spanish names).

Also if anyone knows any good classical guitar tabs/sheet music or has link to it could you please let me know, i'd be very greatful. I've found a few on google searches and also on UG, but nothing that crash hot. Power Tab or Guitar Pro files would be my prefered choice as they have both notation and Tab.

Thanks in advance!
In my experience, classical guitar is not one of those things that is easy to teach yourself. Your time will be much better spent if you learn at least the basics from a classical guitar teacher.
Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
Psalm 33:3
I agree. We've had such discussions before. Contemporary classical guitar is a very formalized and specific discipline. I used to read the classical column every month in Guitar Player magazine...They spend quite a bit of time on such basics as the "embrochure" or how you hold the instrument for maximum efficiency, and the proper way to manage your nails for the perfect combination of nail and flesh against the string.
"Rest" strokes are pluckled in such a manner that the finger comes to rest against the string above the one you plucked.
"Free" strokes don't.... Generally, rest strokes are a bit more forceful and slightly louder.

Classical arrangements usually include the exact fingerings; which finger plays which note...
All very formalized. A teacher is a good idea.
I have to agree with the idea of getting a teacher as well. It tends to be a good idea, no matter what instrument you play, but it is much more important for such a structured art. While I have met people who claim to have taught themselves to play classical guitar, I only know one person who does it well.

Though if you insist on still trying, I recommend finding a good book to learn out of. Some people are against it, but I think getting a well-written book is the next best thing to a teacher.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Scott Tenant's "Pumping Nylon" is probably the best book you can buy if you're looking to get into the basics and and many exercises you'll need for a good technique. I seriously recommend getting a teacher though, there are so many things involved in playing classical guitar well that not having a teacher is going to hinder you in the long run.

Also, many pieces don't have tab for them so I recommend learning to read music (if you get a good teacher, they'll make you learn to read music, a huge part of classical guitar is not only solo repertoire but playing with other instruments.)

Seriously, if you plan on playing classical guitar well, do not skip out on a good teacher.
^ I second that. Get Tennant's book and -if possible- a teacher. You don't always need a teacher but you will get a good technique much faster that way.