Theres alot of talk on here concerning the tuners fitted to the PRS se guitars on this forum and I've got to admit they're not a patch on the 20 year old schaller tuners fitted to my US made PRS EG3.I've seen many suggestions on here concerning higher quality replacements but has anybody looked into sourcing the US made locking tuners as used on the high end US PRS guitars.From pictures I've seen they look about the same size and screw hole placement looks about right(Even though I think the US ones have two securing screws).This could be the ultimate tuner upgrade for us SE owners.
Grover 406c mini locking tuners are a direct drop in replacement. I've got them on mine and along with some Graphtec saddles they're brilliant.

You need the ones with the short tuning posts by the way.
Jackson DK2M
Jackson DKMG (81/85)
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960a
Boss GT-8 4cm
Excuse my ignorance but what's wrong with them? They're not the best, but they're not the first thing I'd replace if I got the chance.

(The first thing would be my eroded bridge :P)
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
I don't have major problems with them but they do feel a bit slack in operation in comparison to the Schallers on my other PRS and also in comparison to the non locking Gotoh tuners which are also over 20 years old on my Jap tele ,I just can't see the SE tuners lasting that long,even though I am aware that the nut has been said to be one of the major issues on the SE guitars as regards tuning stability.
I just can't see that tuners are that important on a guitar, although I suppose I'm just a bedroom guitarist and never really gig. I'd rather spend the money on new pickups or new pedals; I'll get more use out of them.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
Quote by ArpeggiateTHIS
I just can't see that tuners are that important on a guitar, although I suppose I'm just a bedroom guitarist and never really gig. I'd rather spend the money on new pickups or new pedals; I'll get more use out of them.

>_> Really?

>_> REALLY?

Right then...and when you play a chord once nicely then try playing it again and it sounds detuned you'll learn. Whats the point of pickups and pedals if the damn thing can't hold pitch? And yes I've seen an old singlecut SE where the tuners can't be tuned properly because were so...i dunno...overused, old, faulty, not sure.
You don't see tuning stability as being important? LOL

To the OP the best option IMO are Schaller mini lockers. They are a direct fit and cost about $60. A set of the phase USA PRS low mass tuners run about $150 and are not the same as the ones on your old PRS. Those old Schaller/PRS tuners haven't been made in many years.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Aug 11, 2010,
No amount of money spent on pickups,pedals,amps etc is going to make your guitar sound any good if the thing won't hold its tuning.

The tuners on my old PRS as your probably aware are larger than the new low mass tuners used on the new guitars now and to be honest I wouldn't replace them on the older PRS.but the se has tuners which mimic the smaller design of the USA PRS low mass tuners so the real question is would they fit without too much fuss (provided I could hold of a set in the UK).
Maybe I don't see them as important because they're already fine in the first place..
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
With a bit of digging around on the internet I have discovered that you can get a set of the USA PRS tuners but they are only available on their official website and only to US customers which is a bit of a bummer for the UK customer(and the rest of the planet).

I have however found a schaller set with a similar design and locking mechanism to the PRS ones fitted to the US guitars so may investigate those.Also does anyone know hole diameter and depth on the SE headstock.