Page 1 of 2
Next year I'm gonna be getting a proper Valve marshall stack.

I'm into Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica...like thrash metal tones, so I want a reasonably heavy sound.

I know Megadeth use the JCM 800, But it's got like some kind of mod or a different power amp combined with it or something? I'm been thinking maybe of getting the JCM 800, as well as a 1960A and 1960B cab...this would be quite practical because I could leave one where my band practices and one at home for home use...and then when I need the full stack just get both together again...

Anyway, thats just what I know, which do you reccommend I get?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
Why Marshall? I remember your threads months ago and they were all wanting a Marshall...

Whats wrong with your valvestate? That should do fine for home practise.

Budget?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
DSL JCM 2000... it's great if you can actually afford the 1960's cabs too but they really aren't necessary. i use a cheap b52 cab and it still sounds amazing.
Quote by Eurozeppelin
and then when I need the full stack just get both together again

Please elaborate as to when you will need a full stack.

Hmm, I have the TSL100 with the 1906A cab, and the Lead channel is pretty damn high-gain. It's not a 5150, but then it does other shit a lot better. Anyway, I suppose that it might benefit from some sort of boost pedal, or a Metal-style pedal in front of it, if you want a really high-gain sound. Otherwise, I can get Master of Puppets out of it with just the amp so it sounds reasonably close to the record.

EDIT: Erm, you're 16... what could you possibly need an amp this big for... overkill methinks, or fantasy rig.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Last edited by seemeel at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by seemeel
Please elaborate as to when you will need a full stack.

Hmm, I have the TSL100 and the Lead channel is pretty high-gain. It might benefit from some sort of boost pedal, or a Metal-style pedal in front of it, if you want a really high-gain sound. Otherwise, I can get Master of Puppets out of it with just the amp so it sounds reasonably close to the record.

Probably when he wants to act like a ****.

Get a 1x12 cab for home and a 2x12 cab for gigs and stuffs.

i'm still stumped why we wants a Marshall STACK without even considering other things.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
i'm still stumped why we wants a Marshall STACK

To the uninitiated, there is little more visually impressive piece of gear than the Marshall stack. However, here at UG we like to think we can look beyond Marshall's massive visual appeal.

My stack is pretty unmanageable. I never take it off the Power Reduction (~20 W) option, and the cab won't fit in my car. I don't regret buying it for a second, but it is pretty impractical. I am researching 2x12 combos to supplement it.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Because they are good amps, why not have one?

and right now I have a Valvestate 100 watt head, and I find it easy enough to handle because my friend has a cab at his house, so I just bring the head over to his and plug into that, no trouble. I like having a stack.
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Because they are good amps, why not have one?

and right now I have a Valvestate 100 watt head, and I find it easy enough to handle because my friend has a cab at his house, so I just bring the head over to his and plug into that, no trouble. I like having a stack.

Unbelievable. How wealthy are you that can just go out and get a Marshall stack just because they are good. What a crock of shit. Spend your money on something more manageable and less silly. Yes, Marshall stacks are silly for a 16 year old who wants one cos he can.

If whoever drives you around doesn't have a big car or truck, you won't be able to shift the cabinet. It makes things a bit awkward.

Then why dont you stick with your valvestate? its marshall, its a halfstack. Does everything you want it to.

I like having a stack too, but it just isnt feasible to have one.

Yeah I know theyre good amps, but there are BETTER for the style you want. Get a Engl Gigmaster head and a 2x12 and a marshall stack poster.

E-Married to Funny_Page
The tones from Metallica's first two albums come from a modded Plexi, which probably had extra gain stages and a MV added to it... the RAT was used on the first album, and James switched to a Tubescreamer for Ride the Lightning, which he didn't like using. Metallica's later tones are mostly from Mesa/Boogie amps.

Your best bet would be something like a JCM 800 2205 or 2210, but maybe it would have to be modded. The 2205/2210 JCMs have some problems with channel switching.

Or you could look at a JVM series Marshall.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have to say that I like my 1960A as much for the way it gets my head up near eye level as much as for the sound. A JCM800 would be a good choice, I particularly like the older single channel ones. They work extremely well with a boost in front of them.
If you want to use a full stack at times go for it, there's nothing quite like standing in front of a cab that's bigger than you are. The downside is that you have to be a giant to reach the controls. Personally I think a halfstack is enough but that doesn't mean I think you are wrong for liking the full kaboodle.
And for those of you that can't fit a halfstack into your car - you bought the wrong car didn't you? Mine fits on the back seat of my sedan quite easily, maybe I thought the purchase through a bit better than you did.
I don't blame you for wanting to replace the Valvestate, they sound like crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And for those of you that can't fit a halfstack into your car - you bought the wrong car didn't you? Mine fits on the back seat of my sedan quite easily, maybe I thought the purchase through a bit better than you did.

I have a Euro Luxury - there's no way I'm going to try and wedge a cab on the back seat of that. Besides, I got the cab before the car - it fit in my old car.

And if the 1960A cab gets your amp up to eye level, then you must still have a lot of growing to do.

Megadeth used to use JCM 800s but now Dave uses Marshall JVMs. U could check that out. It's has a lot of gain on tap.

Also do u really need a half stack? Or do u just want to look "cool". Unless u'r playing big gigs like stadiums, it's not really necessary. It's a bitch to take it from one place to another. A combo will be fine for u and much more convenient, like the Marshall JVM 210c.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by seemeel
I have a Euro Luxury - there's no way I'm going to try and wedge a cab on the back seat of that. Besides, I got the cab before the car - it fit in my old car.

And if the 1960A cab gets your amp up to eye level, then you must still have a lot of growing to do.

I said near eye level, not at eye level. ie you don't have to stoop down. And I'm 47, I think growing is in my past now.
Like I said, you bought the wrong car.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by seemeel
Unbelievable. How wealthy are you that can just go out and get a Marshall stack just because they are good. What a crock of shit. Spend your money on something more manageable and less silly. Yes, Marshall stacks are silly for a 16 year old who wants one cos he can.

If whoever drives you around doesn't have a big car or truck, you won't be able to shift the cabinet. It makes things a bit awkward.

Seems like you're attacking him a bit.

Sure, on a budget there are things better than Marshall, but if it's what he wants then I guess you really can't talk him out of it.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by seemeel

Chill bro Let the kid have the marshall if he wants maybe having a tube head will give him some muscle.
TS, having a stack makes you get a bigger penis.

Buy one now.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone

Buy one now.

This is true.
And buying a blackstar ht5 makes your penis smaller
*hops on teh runaway bandwagon

in a cool way!*
Quote by Chrisiphone

Buy one now.

:| Seriously?

TS, buy what makes you happy.

Listen to Raijouta, everyone else just feels the need to make fun of ya.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Yeah man don't be a dick. Everyone on UG tells me my amp sucks and I need a valve amp, and I've always wanted one. I'm just trying to save for one. Maybe I can get a job before next year.

Oh yeah and shut up about the "how rich are you thing," I'm just aspiring to get one. I'm just saving money for one, I don't have any at the moment, but maybe with a job I could. if I don't get enough my next year maybe I won't get one I just want real valve tone and I will not deny that I love the image of a Marshall full stack as well. I also gave you a reason for having two cabs, so I could leave one for where my band practices and one at home for my use (I play guitar every day with my Valvestate, so it will get good use) and I enjoy playing guitar more than anything else so I can't think of a worthier investment than an amp that will give me true valve tone.

Anyway, I think what I need is a JCM 800 or a JVM by the looks of it. I also think the 1960A and B are sticking for sure too.
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Aug 11, 2010,
^Sure.

But all of these arguments point to a solid combo. If you don't have a ton of money, and are sick of playing on a valvestate, the fastest way to proper marshall tube sound would be a combo.

You can pick up a jcm900 combo for around 500 used. Then sell it at no loss when/if you want to upgrade to a halfstack.

and don't worry about being loud enough, more speakers =/= significantly more volume.
What is your buget? Are you willing to spend every cent you have? What are you going to do with the stack when you go to college?

There are alots of ifs in you situation. If you get a job. If you make enough.

It is difficult to recomend something when we don't have much knowledge on what your exact budget is.

Another thing to consider is, if you spend your money differently, you could get something better than a marahall.... Like a deizel...
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
I own a Valvestate... and get told by the people here to go buy a new amp too. -_-

I just put a 10 band EQ into the loop and beef up the bass and treb a bit, it's got plenty of mids just lacking in those departments, and now it sings. You don't have to buy a valve man.

But as you are very keen on one, I suggest the JCM
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Well as I see it, I'm better off getting the stack now when I don't have to pay my own bills and pay for my own food as a teenager who still lives with my parents. And I'm going to a music college hopefully so makes sense to keep hold of the stack if you go to a music college.
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin
Well as I see it, I'm better off getting the stack now when I don't have to pay my own bills and pay for my own food as a teenager who still lives with my parents. And I'm going to a music college hopefully so makes sense to keep hold of the stack if you go to a music college.

Look... And i am 16 too.... I also wanted a valve amp (and got one too). When looking at them, it is easy to get carried away. I wanted a good amp. I wanted quality and tone.

I'm telling you from personal experience that is very easy to get carried away. "If I only spend 500 more for this... And 500 more for this...."

I told myself that I had a 1500 budget. But when you are actually about to spend that kind of money.... You suddenly think.... Holy shit. Spending that amount of money is not good if you don't have a regular income. Also, you might be crushed if you don't end up getting a job.

I ended up getting a great deal and spending a grand. But I still was shocked how much money I spent. It is hard to grasp the amount of effort it takes to earn that type of money.

Oh and you don't need a stack for music school....
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
UG Responses:

1) Why Marshall?

2) Budget

3)Check out Teh JETCITY!

4) You don't need a stack, a tube combo will do you just fine

Did I cover them all?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Well, for those tones, a JCM800 (preferably the single channel variants, 2203 & 2204) or anything based on it's circuit should do.

Comparable amps that can be found for a good price:
Sovtek Mig
Peavey Butcher
Laney GH or VH
Red Bear MK/MKE

Heck, depending on what you like a Peavey Classic head with a boost in front of it might be enough. Should be pretty heavy through a 4x12".
If you like a more modern and agressive sound, an Engl Blackmore/Savage/Invader might work well. Though those are pretty expensive.

If it has to be Marshall, 800 all the way.
You could also keep and eye out for a used laney aor head. Goes for under £250 on ebay regulary and has a hot rodded marshall type thing going on!
I remember you TS
Expect 5 more threads all titled 'Which Marshall?' or 'Is this the Marshall for me?'

Well at least you've improved in one thing, you've actually realised that a SS Marshall will not get you the tones you want. Maybe realise a bit sooner that you probably don't need a full stack?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Leeav
Look... And i am 16 too.... I also wanted a valve amp (and got one too). When looking at them, it is easy to get carried away. I wanted a good amp. I wanted quality and tone.

I'm telling you from personal experience that is very easy to get carried away. "If I only spend 500 more for this... And 500 more for this...."

I told myself that I had a 1500 budget. But when you are actually about to spend that kind of money.... You suddenly think.... Holy shit. Spending that amount of money is not good if you don't have a regular income. Also, you might be crushed if you don't end up getting a job.

I ended up getting a great deal and spending a grand. But I still was shocked how much money I spent. It is hard to grasp the amount of effort it takes to earn that type of money.

Oh and you don't need a stack for music school....

Exactly this, TS listen to Leeav
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Yeah man don't be a dick. Everyone on UG tells me my amp sucks and I need a valve amp.

did it ever occur to you that if you like the tone you have, that all of UG would then be wrong?

look, nobody can tell you what you like, it's your preference. i've had a bunch of amps that "should" be perfect for me, according to UG but guess what? they weren't and i ended up selling them.

now i mostly use a $399 tweaker head and 1x12 cab. (this is not a recommendation to you, just an example) it simply does what i want to my liking. others don't like it, why would i care though when i know what i am hearing.

my point is, don't get too caught up in what you read vs what your ears find pleasing for what you play.

if your marshall works for you, rock the pig and save up for a TSL if you want a higher gain tube marshall.
Quote by N_J_B_B
I own a Valvestate... and get told by the people here to go buy a new amp too. -_-

I just put a 10 band EQ into the loop and beef up the bass and treb a bit, it's got plenty of mids just lacking in those departments, and now it sings. You don't have to buy a valve man.

But as you are very keen on one, I suggest the JCM

Ok, I am very interested in what you've done here, could you tell me what 10 band EQ you used, and what kind of music you play with it? As I said I like Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden tones...so if you can get those sort of sounds?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Quote by Eurozeppelin

u dont need a stack for music college.....
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Ok, I am very interested in what you've done here, could you tell me what 10 band EQ you used, and what kind of music you play with it? As I said I like Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden tones...so if you can get those sort of sounds?

Most likely the 10 band MXR EQ.

If you like the sound of your amp ignore everyone else, best advice I could give.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Leeav

I agree with this.
I wish I didn't spend as much money on my amp as I did.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I agree with this.
I wish I didn't spend as much money on my amp as I did.

But do you enjoy the sound of your amp?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Page 1 of 2