Hello there.

Im thinking of doing something different with a telecaster. From what i've read/heard, ibanez necks are some of the thinnest available, and I favour thin necks but prefer the way telecasters look/sound.

I had a look on google and found that ibanez rg's and telecaster necks are the same scale length, so am i right in thinking i could simply modify the neck pocket to take the RG neck and it would work fine and wouldn't ruin the intonation?

Or are there other things to factor in

Many thanks

D&O
Technically it should be fine, assuming you can get the neck pocket perfect. It won't ruin the intonation, but it will ruin the guitar :P
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Sounds very do-able, Although most Ibanez RG's have painted headstocks... So it might be a pain to get a match...

James
Keep in mind you'll probably loose the neck pickup. Even though they are both 25.5" scale, the RG neck will have 24 frets, and be a bit longer.
Dude don't go there... if you want an Ibanez neck, just buy an Ibanez.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
i highly doubt it will work
isn't a tele neck 22 fret? vs 24
also the shapes of the neck heels will probably be different. also the width
and the screw-hole placement will probably be different

i do know that Steve Morse got a strat neck to fit on a tele body
I dont see anything wrong with having a locking nut, i just want it to have the body of a tele with an ibanez neck.
The problem with a locking nut is that it'll be a bitch every time you have to retune/adjust tunings. Not to mention the difference in heel shape, screw placement, width etc. If you're up for a challenge, sure do it, but be prepared for problems. Otherwise just buy an Ibanez.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
You can solve this problem by buying one guitar, it's called the ibanez fr series.
Quote by seemeel
Technically it should be fine, assuming you can get the neck pocket perfect. It won't ruin the intonation, but it will ruin the guitar :P
Don't count on it.

Quote by Down&Out
Hello there.

Im thinking of doing something different with a telecaster. From what i've read/heard, ibanez necks are some of the thinnest available, and I favour thin necks but prefer the way telecasters look/sound.

I had a look on google and found that ibanez rg's and telecaster necks are the same scale length, so am i right in thinking i could simply modify the neck pocket to take the RG neck and it would work fine and wouldn't ruin the intonation?

Or are there other things to factor in

Many thanks

D&O
Maybe.

In addition to the size and depth of the neck pocket and neck heel, one important factor you need to add to this equation is the distance from the nut to the end of the neck heel. Just because both guitars share the same scale length doesn't necessarily mean the neck joint is in exactly the same location, relative to the bridge.

So the first dimension you'll be interested in is the comparative length from nut to end of neck heel on both necks. If the same, one hurdle crossed. Even if different, it's still possible you could cut the neck pocket in toward the bridge if the new neck is longer from nut to neck heel.

The next dimension is the height from the back flat of the neck heel to the top of the frets. Is is the same? Is there a taper angle on either neck? Are they both the same? You can route the neck pocket deeper or shim if necessary. But this is careful work. Avoid it if at all possible.

After that, it's width of the neck heel on old and new necks and the position of the screws. Assuming the width is the same, having the screw holes in exactly the same position or very different positions is okay. Having the screw holes in almost the same position is very bad indeed. If the new screw holes will be adjacent to holes already in the neck, your screws are likely to tear out from the torque applied by the strings.

If the new neck heel is wider than the old, you might be able to route the neck pocket wider. But again, you'll want to avoid this, if at all possible. And if the new neck has a narrower neck heel, I'd just say no.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Cheers for that breakdown man, it all seems a bit complicated and i wouldnt wanna ruin a tele body completely, so i've contacted a local luthier on the matter.

On a side note, found this today: