I found this book at the local music store, it was fairly cheap by "Guy Capuzzo"

One section I found interesting:

MODES OF HARMONIC AND MELODIC MINOR SCALES

Some key parts in the paragraph ensuing:

"Phrygian #3 occurs most frequently. Learn this one first"

"Simply think in terms of reordering the harmonic minor scale"

"They are used constantly in Jazz and Fusion but much less so in other styles"

Now that aside, I ask you this, when will a contemporary guitarist EVER EVER EVER utilize these modes - along with their relevant chords - in ANY context? Is this guy for real , or is it just "look-what-i-knowism"

(The interesting part is this section occurred before the pentatonic scales section)
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Contemporary Guitarists use the Phrygian Dominant (Phrygian #3) often. It's used a lot in metal, and it was used by The Offspring in "Come Out to Play" if I'm not mistaken.

Every other one? I've rarely been able to get anything usable out of them.

Not gonna lie though... just the name of the author would have kept me away from the book. "Guy Capuzzo"? Really?
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Contemporary Guitarists use the Phrygian Dominant (Phrygian #3) often. It's used a lot in metal, and it was used by The Offspring in "Come Out to Play" if I'm not mistaken.

Every other one? I've rarely been able to get anything usable out of them.

Not gonna lie though... just the name of the author would have kept me away from the book. "Guy Capuzzo"? Really?

*facepalm*

ok, locrian #2? haha

it has some pretty epic jumps on expectation - the last chapter is devoted entirely to ii - V - i 's while the middle craps on about how the whole/half diminished scale is invaluable in any type of music etc. etc.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
A lot of metal bands use harmonic minor scales and stuff, pretty sure the solo in Metallica's Blackened is a harmonic minor.

Boss battle theme from FFVII uses it to.

Bands like Opeth use a lot of different stuff. If you want to hear alot of jazz and other types of music incorporated into metal listen to their last album.
Quote by Tominator_1991
*facepalm*

ok, locrian #2? haha

it has some pretty epic jumps on expectation - the last chapter is devoted entirely to ii - V - i 's while the middle craps on about how the whole/half diminished scale is invaluable in any type of music etc. etc.

locrian #2 is used in jazz minor ii V i turnarounds.

basically it sounds like the author went to two years at Berkley, didn't take anything away, and wanted to get out of debt and so he published this book.
my progressive rock guitar book assumes that i've read "theory for the contemporary guitarist," i should probly pick this book up...
Locrian #2 removes the "avoid" note (the b9) in the major scale Locrian mode. It's very useful over half diminished chords.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
"Guitar theory" books are a marketing strategy. Don't pay too much attention to them.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.