Fender '85-'86 MIJ Contemporary Stratocaster Score Review: 10/10

It might be weird to hear someone say "I couldn't find the guitar I wanted, so I settled with an American Stratocaster", but in this case, it was true since I started playing guitar. The best thing I could find was my 2005 USA deluxe. It had a certain thing about it I fell in love with.

Well all that changed last night. I've watched this particular market for years waiting for one of these to pop up, because it's the HSS version with a System I, and the System I, will take you to places you thought were only possible with FR or Edge tremolos. It's blocked for now with installed trees, because frankly, I don't use the whammy bar, and I don't have the locking nut yet.

Pickups are currently unknown: Whoever owned this guitar previously knew how to get tone. I haven't ripped it open yet because I can't stop playing it. Either way, I will not be changing these pickups. Classic strat sounds I can't achieve on my USA deluxe, but with a screaming humbucker that gives me tone I've dreamed about. I like to play metal as well as blues, and this is the machine to do it.

Stay in tune? Not a problem. The System I is amazing. Why they would stop making this is beyond me.

Fastest neck I've ever played on. For months I've been looking to replace my Gibson Les Paul Studio, for my hard rock / shred tone, and I played every guitar you can probably name. Needless to say I though I was going to end up with another USA Strat, HSS.

So where do I find this of all places? The Guitar Center, LOL! The guy who had it behind the counter knew nothing about it. Honestly, for the price I got it at, I laughed all the way to the bank.

I'm expecting this guitar to triple its value in the next 10-20 years, but regardless, it will go to the grave with me. You will be hard pressed to find this exact model for sale. A Series serial guitar. It's literally an unknown model, which was never given a name as far as I know out of all the guitars coming out of Fender Japan. It has the system I trem, along with HSS.

If I see another one of this exact model, I'm going to buy it right away as a backup/parts guitar. That's how much this guitar has rocked my world. If my playing is ever heard by the world, this will be the guitar you hear.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 11, 2010,
Noice!!!!

Hngd (y)

edit: dare i ask how much you paid? (as it wasn't mentioned)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
No but you can find the H-H versions on ebay once in a while.

If you see another HSS system I you can expect to bid against me ;p ;p ;p
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by Dempsey68
edit: dare i ask how much you paid? (as it wasn't mentioned)

I guess I'll spill the beans - $350 with HSC. LOL! I could flip it for double that right now to a friend, but it will never happen.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
That thing is great. The MIJs are really good congrats. Looks like it could go for a decent cleaning though.

HNGD!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
$350. sir, i do believe you are a contender for bargain of the century. (though my £9 dunlop crybaby is also one xD)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I'm looking for a good used SSS MIJ strat =(

Congrats though! shes a beauty.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
'89 Fender Stratocaster MIJ
Vintage Noiseless Trio
Kahler Bridge
Locking Nut
'99 Epiphone Les Paul Standard MIK
DiMarzio Super Distortion (bridge)
Boss ME70
Sennheiser HD 201
Last edited by Wolfdale at Aug 11, 2010,
Damn, you have the locking nut that I need to find for mine. So hard to find! I'm going to buy another one of these guitars right away. I'm going to be ready to drop a good amount of cash. I'm going to be looking for a contemporary model with a black neck. The finish on the neck makes it so easy to play.

That MIJ Strat is OMG!
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Damn, you have the locking nut that I need to find for mine. So hard to find! I'm going to buy another one of these guitars right away. I'm going to be ready to drop a good amount of cash. I'm going to be looking for a contemporary model with a black neck. The finish on the neck makes it so easy to play.

That MIJ Strat is OMG!

Thank you very much, if possible, when you open yours, I'd like to see some pics of the inside, is that ok?

One of the only doubts I have about this guitar is if the body wood is alder or basswood. Some say it's alder, others say that it is basswood. I've researching on this for months but still have several doubts.

Thank you very much!
'89 Fender Stratocaster MIJ
Vintage Noiseless Trio
Kahler Bridge
Locking Nut
'99 Epiphone Les Paul Standard MIK
DiMarzio Super Distortion (bridge)
Boss ME70
Sennheiser HD 201
If yours came from the fujigen plant its not alder, most likely basswood. They used that on 95% of guitars.

This is why I'm seeking this guitar. Basswood Stratocaster.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
When I used a strat I used to dream about that kind of "heavy" custom strat. I never knew some existed. That's a very cool guitar, HNGD dude!
I hate supersized Kartoffels
Sexy! Theres a single pickup no pickguard version of a contemporary strat on my craigslist for 200 bucks. I thought about buying it but its a salmon pink color, and Id rather have 200 bucks. But HNGD anyway!!
Yeah, that means it was refinished if it's salmon pink. I'd stay away.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
there is one of those in my guitar shop right now....except it is a squier. and it has that bridge. the dude in the shop said he wanted it and he was going to put EMGs in it and he said it ws one of his favorite bridges of all time.
Quote by Zeroxsk8er1
Nice

what does HNGD stand for?

Hot new guitar or gear day
Quote by webwarmiller
Here's your backup....$440 shipped ($390 + $50 shipping). It's a BIN on Ebay and it still has the finger-lock locking nut which is pretty cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Stratocaster-MIJ-E-series-Japan-cij-/170524852639?pt=Guitar

I looked at that one but it doesn't have the coil tap so I'm going to hold off. If I was positive it was authentic I would shoot right now, but as far as I know the contemporary models all had a coil tap.

Also, the locking nut is definitly not original. Whatever he has on there is some crazy contraption I've never seen by schaller.

Worried it's a dressed up squire, and I'm pretty sure it is - a fake.

I even emailed the guy before your suggestion and asked the there was a small silver switch that I couldn't see in the picture, and there's not.

It does have everything else though, which would be nice for parts so cheap, but I'm not sure what's up with the body.

I'm also thinking about buying the backup version as a system III, I really think the locking nut on that one is genius. Both are great, would love to have both. I just want a backup neck painted black honestly.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 12, 2010,
Quote by nickdohle
Hot new guitar or gear day

* Happy New Guitar Day, hot just sounds wrong

anyway, awesome guitar, the specs of a prestige ibanez, and the looks of a strat, great combo.
Orange Enthousiast.
hot colours, though I don't usually like Strats. That's definitely one of the best looking

Very Very nice instrument! Congrats!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works