Okay. First things first. I'm looking for advice on what type of pedal I should get for what I play. I currently own a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt amp (planning on getting something larger) and I play an Ibanez RG120, most often in Drop C (since I know down-tuning affects tone).

The kind of tone I'm looking for is somewhat along the lines of Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium, but in general I'm looking for something that provides chunky rhythm, since I'm a rhythm guitarist, but something with a screaming lead as well would be most awesome =D

Oh, and I'm looking for an educated reply from an intelligent source, not some asshole that wants to down A7X and Trivium instead of answering my question ^_^
To be honest, you won't get a decent tone from a pedal before a Spider III - a new amp would be far better.

So, I'll ask the usual - budget? location? willing to go used? gigging?
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Thanks for actually answering my question!

Budget, I'm looking up to $100 at the most. I am willing to go used, since used gear is actually quite good, and gigging hopefully in the future. My band is still searching for a drummer >.<
Dont waste your time with a pedal for that thing if youre planning on getting a new amp. and BTW, dont get something LARGER, get something BETTER.

EDIT: referring to a new amp.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Yeah definitely gotta agree with the guys above, no effects pedals sit will with Line 6 amps. But if you wanted to give it a go, have a look at the MXR fullbore metal, give off an amazing rhythm tone with plenty of crunch, goes down well with detuned guitars.
Scrap pedal idea.
Sell amp.
Buy better amp.
Then you're set to go.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Well, my Spider actually produces some sick tones, it just gets muddy if I crank the volume up too loud. I still would like a pedal though so I can swap from distorted to clean tones, and back as well.

EDIT: Thank you by the way, for actually answering my question people. No assholes so far ;]
Last edited by SynysterRev7X at Aug 11, 2010,
The spider doesn't take pedals well cuz it's a modelling amp. Dont waste ur money on a pedal. Also a larger amp doesn't mean it's better. Save up for a new amp.
Quote by holycow
The spider doesn't take pedals well cuz it's a modelling amp. Dont waste ur money on a pedal. Also a larger amp doesn't mean it's better. Save up for a new amp.

Okay. What would you recommend for the genre of music I play? Dont worry about budget on new amps, just tell me what you think is good for its price.
I'd prefer to get an amp for gigging since the Spider is what I use all the time at home anyway. Right now my band is still in need of a drummer though, so gigging may not occur until sometime in the future.

EDIT: And by gigging I mean small-scale shows since we dont get many chances to play live.
Well, a used Peavey 5150/6505 would be right up your street for assorted drop tuned metal. Alternatively a Bugera 6262 (based on the Peavey 6505+) would be good, and cheaper new. I'm not sure about the US prices, but the combos run about £350 in the UK.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
bugera 333xl/6260/6262 are good amps for the price
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
The Peavey 6505 is looking promising to me. I may invest in that instead =] How well do pedals work with an amp such as that?
Quote by SynysterRev7X
The Peavey 6505 is looking promising to me. I may invest in that instead =] How well do pedals work with an amp such as that?

You wont need a pedal with the 6505, the dirty channel will destroy the crap out of any distortion pedal, you might want to get a footswitch for the amp though so you can switch the channels.
Pedals will sit fine in front of a nice amp like the 6505. To be honest though, as ethan said, there's enough gain on the lead channel of a 6505 to blow your head off, so you won't need any distortion pedals. Regards changing channel the 6505 comes with a footswitch usually to switch between channels, so no running back you your amp to do that.

The only thing I would recommend is that that $100 (assuming you can post amp) and get an MXR-10 band EQ and stick it in the effects loop. I use mine as a solo boost and it helps shape the tone to perfection.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Sweeeeet! Thanks so much for the feedback, and thank god we didn't have to deal with any idiots. I figured it would be better to post this and get several responses than simply buy a pedal and hope it works. I think I'll be saving up to get that Peavey 6505, however I'll probably get the Combo with the 112 60w amp, since I'm short on cash.

Thanks again for the help, mostly to Hidden Hippo and ethan_hanus. And thanks for the footswitch and EQ advice. I cant stand having to switch channels manually >.<

Btw, love your signature ethan_hanus XD
Oh, and just out of curiosity, would a dist. pedal change only the type of distortion that comes from the amp, or would it change the volume level too? I dont think that it would have any effect on the volume, but I was just wondering. I've already figured that getting a distortion pedal with that amp is pointless.
Distortion pedals are tricky. They all have their own tone really and you can run them into the clean channel. Personally I'm a fan of the amp's natural distortion, perhaps with a boost in front of it to tighten the gain a little, but others might prefer the tone of a distortion pedal into a very clean amp. It could have an effect on the volume - depends how you set it up really.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
For Trivium, a 6505 would be good... my 333XL is pretty smooth and gets that Syn Gates tone pretty well. Either way you should be right.