Is there any way to create a carved top type guitar without using the whole "Mallet and Chisel" method?

If so, please share. No offense, but I just don't want to mess a project up, and it seems really sketchy.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Yeah a router or mill is a good way to go. Still time consuming but probably a safer bet than hammer and chisel.
Hrm... Care to elaborate? just keep making passes with it adjusted deeper and deeper then sand the "steps" off?

Oh, Thank you, senior ninja, for clearing that up ha. I'll look into this heavily.
-Edgar Degas
Last edited by Tone Deaf at Aug 11, 2010,
Angle grinder
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
This intrigues me.
-Edgar Degas
fastest/easiest way is with an angle grinder followed up by a random orbit sander.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
What kind of disc/blade/whatever should be used on the grinder?
-Edgar Degas
My orbital sander is made so that it will free spin for taking off large amounts of wood, instead of just sanding, would this work the same way, sort of, with a rough enough pad?

Also, what's something that I could use to make sure I don't go too deep anywhere? Rout out a path along the side and sand down flush with it?
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
My orbital sander is made so that it will free spin for taking off large amounts of wood, instead of just sanding, would this work the same way, sort of, with a rough enough pad?

Also, what's something that I could use to make sure I don't go too deep anywhere? Rout out a path along the side and sand down flush with it?

Scroll to 3 mins

You want a flexible backing pad and abrasive discs from about 80 grit, then use your orbital with finer grits for smoothing out.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Tone Deaf

Yes, that should work fine.

Quote by Tone Deaf
Also, what's something that I could use to make sure I don't go too deep anywhere? Rout out a path along the side and sand down flush with it??

Yes, you could use the router with a rabbetting bit to route the final depth around the edge of the guitar. Mark where the top of the guitar where the contour starts, and just blend the area between the mark and the rabbet with the grinder/sander.

edit:^^^exactly how Ormsby does it in the video above.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Last edited by Handgrenade at Aug 11, 2010,