Page 1 of 2
I've been wondering which years are good for a strat? I kinda want a vintage Fender and ive been focusing on the early 70's or late 60's, i know everything before 1966 is really good but its also too expensive and i dont wish to pay so much for a guitar. So are 70's good as well, good wood quality and such? please let me hear your opinions.
the late 70's usa models are the ones i'd avoid honestly. i've seen mid sixties strats for around $3k which is only pennies more than a new custom shop strat meant to "emulate" the same thing.

what is your budget?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
the late 70's usa models are the ones i'd avoid honestly. i've seen mid sixties strats for around $3k which is only pennies more than a new custom shop strat meant to "emulate" the same thing.

what is your budget?

About 2000$ i guess.
Quote by Katamari
About 2000$ i guess.

US dollars? What country are you in?
Quote by gregs1020
US dollars? What country are you in?

Croatia right now lol but yah US dollars
i have no clue what is available in your market.
what level of a strat is even available in Croatia?

or will you be buying in the US?
Quote by gregs1020
i have no clue what is available in your market.
what level of a strat is even available in Croatia?

or will you be buying in the US?

Ummm i thought id buy it online or something :/ ebay or.... do you have an idea? i dont mind if its used or such, in fact its barely impossible to find a vintage unused i guess...
Quote by Katamari
Ummm i thought id buy it online or something :/ ebay or.... do you have an idea? i dont mind if its used or such, in fact its barely impossible to find a vintage unused i guess...

well if i had 2000 to spend on a strat and wanted a good old type, i'd look at a used custom shop 1960 reissue or similar. i wouldn't be concerned if it was a relic job or not.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=fender+custom+shop+1960+stratocaster&_sacat=See-All-Categories
I have a early 70's strat I used for years, grew up with it. It always was great to play, I modded it though with a humbucker and Floyd Rose.

I don't get the fascination with vintage guitars though except for collecting. Seems to me more current made ones are just as good if not better. If I were you I would check out the Eric Johnson model if a SSS is what you want. I tried two, they both played like butter and were excellent quality.
i've played a few historic strats, and the custom shop ri guitars have a very similar vibe in feel and tone. i guess some people appreciate that.
sorry dude but $2000 won't get you even near a 60s strat or even an early 70s that isn't totally beat. don't forget that you will have to pay for shipping which is bound to add at least $250 to the buying price. why are you looking for a vintage strat? if it's not as a collectable then you are better off buying a decent american strat that is newer. you can buy a really nice late 80s strat that will have great quality for way less than 2 grand and still be an older guitar. the late 80s fender's are way better than most of the 70s stuff (skip the early 80s stuff as that for the most part sucked.) i play an 88 Stratocaster plus and couldn't be happier (those have a roller nut and locking tuners as well as lace sensor noiseless pickups)
Well I have thought of more possibilities like getting a gibson lp deluxe from the early 70's with mini humbuckers, i also tought of the plus series especially the late 80's since the kept getting worse and thery had lance sensor pickups which i found very nice i even thought of the relic or reissue thing but in the end all of these just faded away when i heard a late 60's sound and really no reissues can produce that kind of sound, ive listened to many guitars over and over and none had such character as a vintage, also i dont mind if its worn out, it just gives more character to the guitar in my opinion :/
Quote by Katamari
Well I have thought of more possibilities like getting a gibson lp deluxe from the early 70's with mini humbuckers, i also tought of the plus series especially the late 80's since the kept getting worse and thery had lance sensor pickups which i found very nice i even thought of the relic or reissue thing but in the end all of these just faded away when i heard a late 60's sound and really no reissues can produce that kind of sound, ive listened to many guitars over and over and none had such character as a vintage, also i dont mind if its worn out, it just gives more character to the guitar in my opinion :/

ok i think you are missing something on this. if you like the 60s sound that's fine but i can tell you it's more the players than the guitar. the amps and fx of that era also contribute just as much to the overall sound. honestly when you actually play alot of vintage guitars you 'll find that they just don't play as well as many newer ones and that they don't automatically give you the "sound" you are thinking about. trust me i'm an older guy and have had many chances to play "vintage" guitars over the years (many were new when i first started to play way back when). sure there are some awsome vintge guitars outt here but honestly you aren't likely to get one for the money you are talking aabout. i spent some time on ebay a coupe of hours ago and found that there really wern't any 70s strats in your price range that weern't mutts (parts from different years usually newer)
True i might be short on money :/ i guess i could get a reissue or even a relic if i had luck.... thou i see sometimes early 70 strats going for 2000 and under if people have luck but yeah its pretty rare, as for the late 70's ive heard that that is the time fender started screwing up so i dont really want such a guitar, fender came back with the late 80s plus models of which you own one thou there is again the problem that i heard that sensor lances are really low output so distortion is really weak if you dont have some aggressive bad monkey or such, not that i know from experience thou... well what would you do in my place?
If I knew then what I know now regarding prices for "vintage strats" I would have bought as many as I could in the 80's and sold them now for a nice profit and buy a couple newer made strats for personal use that I would not have to worry about damaging their collectibility.
Last edited by LK_revival at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by Katamari
True i might be short on money :/ i guess i could get a reissue or even a relic if i had luck.... thou i see sometimes early 70 strats going for 2000 and under if people have luck but yeah its pretty rare, as for the late 70's ive heard that that is the time fender started screwing up so i dont really want such a guitar, fender came back with the late 80s plus models of which you own one thou there is again the problem that i heard that sensor lances are really low output so distortion is really weak if you dont have some aggressive bad monkey or such, not that i know from experience thou... well what would you do in my place?

there are different kinds of lace sensors. yes the original gold ones aren't designed for metal but neither are the pickups found in 60s early 70s strats. actually the gold lace sensors sound alot like those pickups as that is what they were patterned after. you can replace them with other lace sensor models like the silver or blue which will maintain the strat sound but have more balls (i have a blue in the bridge and will be putting in a silver for the neck soon). some of the later strat pluses came with a red/silver/blue set up which really screams.

what exactly are you going for sound wise? this would help to determine what would best suit your needs.
ummmm well i want kinda everything.... but im kinda mostly rock-hard rock-blues/rock but i kinda also want to be able to play some old sabbath, dio and iron maiden. I guess something more hard rock oriented...
ok well that is what i play as well. (check my profile for some of my songs). a Strat Plus would be ideal for what you want. just make sure you have a blue or red lace sensor in the bridge and you'll be good to go. keep in mind that the strat+ was the best production model fender made at the time and that the only thing better were the custom shop guitars. you can find them on ebay for a grand or less which is a steal.
Quote by Katamari
ummmm well i want kinda everything.... but im kinda mostly rock-hard rock-blues/rock but i kinda also want to be able to play some old sabbath, dio and iron maiden. I guess something more hard rock oriented...

You might want to consider a HSS strat.
hmmm is there any difference between a plus deluxe and an ordinary plus? also what is the neck profile? i kinda like thick necks and long frets if you know what i mean.... so there is a bigger distance between strings :/ also how do i recognize blue/red/gold pickups? by the color "lance sensor" is written in? also would it be the best to wait for a 1987?
the deluxe was a fancier guitar. the bridge had 2 single coils paired together that could be used as a humbucker or a true single coil. many of them had fancier finishes as well.the trem was a little different as well. cool guitar butnot necessarily better. yes the color of the writing on the lace sensor tells the difference.

no reason to look for a specific year really. after 93 they changed the roller nut design but otherwise the guitars are the same. haven't really heard anyone say that the older ones were better than the 90s ones.
hmmmm.... can you also tell me an alternative? in case the guitar doesnt really attract me? and you still havent told me about the neck
the neck isn't real thick but isn't thin like an ibanez neck either i don't remember the profile off the top of my head. the frets are bigger than the old fenders but aren't huge. fretboard radius is 9.5 inches as opposed to the old necks which were 7.5 inch.

other options, well the new Special series might be a good choice as well. it is patterened after a 70s strat but has the newer radius. the pickups aren't noise cancelling though. for $2000 you may be able to pick up a strat style Suhr which are excellent guitars.

what are you playing now?
I was playing a Ibanez s470 for a while, but sold it not long ago.... hmmm so i really couldnt find a vintage huh? what would you say about a gibson or such?
i'd say get what you want and can afford. the best advice i can give is for you to try to have a clear picture of what you think your guitar needs will be and then find a guitar that matches those needs. it's just about impossible to find one guitar that will do everything perfectly so prioritzing your needs is a good idea. i play hard rock and older style heavy metal so that is what i shot for soundwise. i don't really play much new metal and don't play stuff like death metal at all. for ME a strat works fine and covers alot of ground. you may want to consider a PRS as they tend to combine the best of a strat and a Les Paul. i realize that you probably don't have access to alot of guitars to check out where you are so it makes it tougher for you to choose based on experience.
well i play pretty much the same thing you do, and im originally from switzerland so i have some expirience with guitar even thou i didnt play much then... fender is nice, it has a bluesy sound and can cover almost everything if its not new metal but the vintage model i once had the chance to play impressed me really so i wanted to see if i could get one online for a lower price, as for the reissues and relics, i dont know much about them so could you describe the sound? and is a custom better than them?
first let me say that i think the whole relic thing is stupid. if your going to have a beat up guitar then you should have the stories to go with the damage. not sure what to tell you as my experiences and taste may not be exactly the same as yours. to me a decent strat is a decent strat and they all sound fairly similar with stock fender pickups. once you get into changing out the pickups well that's a whole different thing and of course i haven't tried them all .

if by custom you mean a guitar made specifically for you, i've never had one. i have changed parts on my guitars to what i want but that's it. as for the Fender reissues i've played a few but since i don't have much if any experience with playing the originals they are based on i can't say how well they duplicate them. i've had the chance to play several 50s and 60s strats over the years but have never owned one. personally i don't like the 7.5 " radius on the old necks and greatly prefer a flatter radius.
hmmmm do they have 9.5 frets? i mean a think neck and big frets and such? i really liked the fat c neck or the v neck for example and there are custom shops 60's not relic so without the wear... :/
It is a guitar not a bottle of wine. Trolley your happy ass to the music stores and try everything you can get your paws on. That is the only way to find a "good" guitar by any maker.Buying sight unseen is a crap shoot no matter what brand.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
It is a guitar not a bottle of wine. Trolley your happy ass to the music stores and try everything you can get your paws on. That is the only way to find a "good" guitar by any maker.Buying sight unseen is a crap shoot no matter what brand.

dude he lives in Croatia there isn't a guitar center on every corner. i agree in pricipal with what you are saying but in this case it's not a happening deal for him.

the 9.5 refers to the radius of the fretboard not the number of frets. this basically is how flat the fretboard is. for chords a rounder fretboard works a little better for leads a flatter. old fenders have a more rounded fretboard as opposed to say a gibson which mainly have a 12" fretboard and is flatter. the newer fenders have a 9.5 which falls in between. the ibanez you've playing probably has at least a 12' radius and possibly more (many guitars designed for shredding have 14 or 16 ' radius).
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster- 1960 NOS Sunburst - what does that NOS mean?? :O will someone explain it to me?
Quote by Katamari
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster- 1960 NOS Sunburst - what does that NOS mean?? :O will someone explain it to me?

NOS means new old stock. in this case they are trying to say it's not a relic'd guitar and would appear as a brand new guitar with 1960 specs. the term is also used when they find a bunch of guitars (or other items) that are no longer being produced and put them out for sale as a new item. my Squier Esprit was an item like that. made in 2006 and sat in a warehouse till 2009 when guitar center put it out for sale.
Dude just get a 2005-2010 strat deluxe, it's so easy. They are so good, feel just like any other strat I play, and sound just as good.

Not to mention they are routed for humbuckers but usually come stock single coil.

Can't do "new metal"? Yeah right, super distortion in the bridge and it's good game.

Go EMG active if you want, or bare knuckle passive.

You should look for a strat deluxe and then buy a humbucker or the set of pickups you want, you can do that all with $2,000 dollars installation at a local shop included. That includes the new pick guard you will need.

Stock they will come with Fender Noiseless, and I love them. It's not a great metal tone, but I can switch out to a humbucker anytime I want. I just already have a strat that's HSS so I don't need too.

Point being, if you're going to play the guitar, vintage doesn't mean jack really. Yes their might have been some golden woods one year or another, or a couple different neck profiles, but my 05 usa deluxe grabs any tone I want that's in the single coil realm.

Good luck.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 12, 2010,
I might not be an expert but i think custom is above deluxe lol but since your avatar is L from death note ill give it some consideration xD
Quote by Katamari
I might not be an expert but i think custom is above deluxe lol but since your avatar is L from death note ill give it some consideration xD

the deluxe is the model that took the place of the strat plus in 1999. it is the best production model they offer (factory built) what you are thinking of is the custom shop guitars. they are made in much smaller quantities and have more hand work in making them. this gets a little tricky as there are fenders that are "designed" by the custom shop and then there are actual custom shop made guitars, these tend to be more expensive. absolutely nothing wrong with any of the re-issue models it's more a matter of whether you like those specs or not. the 62 is generally very highly regarded. the whole thing can be a little confusing especially because they all look pretty much the same.

personally i think a strat plus or the newer strat deluxe are every bit as good as most of the custom shop guitars and will do you just fine. you should be able to find all the specifications for these models at the fender website.
the custom shop 1960 models are very good guitars. having played a real 1960 and a fender custom shop 1960 i was truly taken back by how good the custom shop guitar was.

i'd rec that for you spot on. but you also have a lot of good advice from others here.
Quote by Katamari

Right, I agree, but tough to find one for 2k. I was just pointing out imo you would be just as happy with a deluxe, and you can still have plenty of left over to buy any pickups your heart desires.

=]
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Hmmm the guitar has kinda a strange serial number thou.... Rxxxxx :/ i have read trough some other forums and heard that there are some of those (mostly time maschines) that are not listed. Any advice?
Page 1 of 2