Right. I'm definitely going to join one of two very loud rock covers bands (one definite offer and 1 audition).

Both have another guitarist, keys and a bassist with a 1kw+ bass rig.
I currently run my PRS DGT/Tokai Loverock into my Cornford Hellcat combo or Hiwatt Custom studio stage rig.
Neither are loud enough.
The Hiwatt's 40 watts, and the Cornford's 35.
The Hiwatt isn't ideal for live work, as it has 1 channel and no fx loop. I was considering selling that, and then slaving the Cornford into something more powerful.
I want something that sounds big and pure. Budget isn't a huge issue, as the combined new value of these is over 4 grand.
Been looking at a Budda superdrive 80 and 45 (very loud for the rating) Cornell plexi 45 etc.

I need something that not only has volume, but sounds huge and dynamic.

Cheers,

James
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Hello there fellow Essex guy.

I've been wanting to try one of those Buddah amps, have you seen any in any shops around here?

Also, what kind of distortion are you after, British sounding?
Do you need it to have good cleans too?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Ah hello. It's quite hard to get your hands on Budda's sadly. I've played a superdrive 18 which was great. I suppose a British voicing would be good, but something which could handle a bit of hair metal with a boost, without mushing up.
I like that plexi roar that Angus Young gets. When every note sounds like it's going to explode.

I looked at a Boogie Lonestar. I can get one second hand for 900 quid.... 2 channels, switchable wattage per channel, footswitchable solo boost... although it's basically a fancier twin. That and an RC booster/OCD would be pretty effective I reckon.
Good cleans would definitely be required, although I don't mind having a bit of hair on them, as my main guitar cleans up great. I hate fizzy over the top preamp gain. I want to cut through, but more through sheer girth than exaggerated treble frequencies.

Where's DaveMc when you need him?!
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Yeah it's a shame, I've seen them online on GAK, but I've never actually seen one in person, I really wanna try one.

I see, then why not try a Plexi? :P
You could easily afford one, or four.

Never played a Lonestar, that's a good deal though if it's in good condition.
Right so power amp gain, really depends on weather you want EL34s or 6L6s.
I think the Lonestar comes with 6L6s, but has a bias switch.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Yeah. As far as I know. I need a big sound. I hate bands where the lead player has whacked a pod/gt8/other grim device in the front end and totally ****ed his sounds with fizzy effects and mush. I'm gonna try a few different amps, but I'm very open to suggestions. Normally, I base an amp choice around a creamy lead tone, but I'm gonna need a barking crunchy sound, which those sort of amps can't usually do as well....
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Fender Twin Reverb
Marshall Plexi (JTM or JMP)
Mesa Boogie
Orange Rockverb or Thunderverb
Soldano SLO

just to name a few
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Twin reverb? They're clean as anything. A Twin has 2 channels, and is great, but they are 2 very different amps.
A plexi style amp might be cool.
Not a huge fan of most Boogie stuff. Don't like the Rectos or Stillettos or DC series.
Rockerverb may be good. Maybe a bit too voiced around the preamp gain if that makes sense?
An SLO in the UK is absolutely silly money.
Maybe a Cornford MK50H?
Need to try one - that's hard to do in itself!
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

The Superdrive 80 will do hair metal and maybe more by itself, with no boosting.

If you're just looking for something to slave into why not just get a power amp?

As far as Mesa/Boogie is concerned, check out the Mark series (III or IV should be within your budget) for sure, or one of their more obscure amps: Blue Angel, Maverick, Heartbreaker, Nomad, F series, etc... a Lonestar sounds pretty up your alley though. Also check out the Electra-Dyne, it's also sounding pretty ideal for what you do IMO.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 12, 2010,
Yeah. I was thinking along those lines. My thing is warm fat bluesy rock tones... so I want that voicing, with the capability to do some Whitesnake stype stuff. Boogies are terrible value in the UK, and I've played a Blue Angel, which would definitely be a big downgrade from my Hellcat. I played the Hellcat at an audition yesterday with no pedals. Just DGT - amp, and it sounded amazing. Just wish it was more powerful. Maybe a poweramp then? I already have a Hiwatt custom cab to use...
Maybe an el34/6l6 section? Then it'd still have the el84 sweetness, but the ballsiness you get with the bigger valves.
Maybe a Superdrive 45 would be enough too? Meant to be very loud.
Saying that, so is the Hellcat....
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

I would imagine the Superdrive amps would be hard to find in the UK though, seeing as Budda is a boutique US brand. Very good amps.

Speaking of Soldano, have you considered Jet City? You could get a JCA50 or JCA100, and it would be more than loud enough. Don't let the inexpensive price dissuade you, those amps are 100 pounds of tone.

Have you looked into Orange? A Thunderverb or a Rockerverb is worth considering... maybe an ENGL Blackmore or Screamer too. What about Koch? The Twintone seems to be in your budget... then again, I'm not sure I could stand playing an amp whose brand rhymes with 'dock'.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Haha. Good point. I think I need to try out a Rockerverb. I just got the impression it was voiced like a generic new Marshall? Budda's are pretty scarce over here. What's the difference between a Thunderverb and a Rockerverb tonally?
Just found out someone I know's selling a single channel MK50H and 2x12 for £1200. I'd need to shift either my Hiwatt or Hellcat first though. Spent way too much on gear this last year.
I had a Suhr modern before the PRS - way too indecisive!!!
Never tried a Koch.
I want something that isn't voiced too modern tbh.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Oranges sound very different to Marshall. Orange is typically alot darker sounding, and sometimes more aggressive. I'll let someone with more experience with them answer your questions about the Thunderverb vs. Rockerverb, but I do know the Rockerverb has more gain.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Thanks mate.
Nice not getting told to buy a Bugera :P
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Seen a Boogie Heartbreaker combo up for sale. Looks quite good. Plenty of power.
Any experience with this?
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban