hey guys I'm nearing completion on my first build and just got a sand-through during my final wetsand. Ugh. I've gone to the primer, straight through the white base coat and a pearl overspray. For finish I used Krylon Triple Thick. It's not too big, but it is noticeable. I tried taping off everything around it except for the damaged part, sprayed on the color and then a few coats of clear, but when I tried to even it back out it reverted instantly. Am I going to have to sand down the whole area? How much?

There is a handpainted part right next to it, that I really don't wanna have to repair if I have to sand down the whole horn.
no one knows the best way to repair a sand through? I'm having trouble finding any info?
You can try to use a touch up brush on it. It won't look perfect, but thats what I do on cars if there is a tiny spot that needs to be fixed. You have to be very carefull on edges, because it is very easy to sand through. And, if using a base and clear coat, make sure and always use plenty clear.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
your going to need to drop fill it, though I'm assuming your using spray cans, so color matching wont be easy.

it also seems like your applying pressure when wetsanding, dont do that. only apply enough pressure to the paper so that it can function, any more is just going to cause mishaps like this.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
thanks for the tips guys. I am using spray cans. I just want it to be unnoticeable, it doesn't have to be perfect as long as it blends in from afar.
Want to know how to get paint-brush usable paint that will match your color identically?

First, You'll need to get your spray can. Then, make sure, and I mean make sure, that you have a paint brush and a paper plate. If you don't have a paper plate, then just use something else. Anyways, ready?

Hold the can very close to the plate...

Make sure you're steady....

...And spray alot on there in a little quarter-sized blob.

It'll pool up. Dip your brush and apply very thinly and carefully to the spot.

I did it with plastic model paints and pine-wood derby cars on the time.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
Want to know how to get paint-brush usable paint that will match your color identically?

First, You'll need to get your spray can. Then, make sure, and I mean make sure, that you have a paint brush and a paper plate. If you don't have a paper plate, then just use something else. Anyways, ready?

Hold the can very close to the plate...

Make sure you're steady....

...And spray alot on there in a little quarter-sized blob.

It'll pool up. Dip your brush and apply very thinly and carefully to the spot.

I did it with plastic model paints and pine-wood derby cars on the time.

Wait I don't understand that last step ... Can you repeat it please ?????
Stewmac has some stuff on touching up finishes, although it seems that a good enough answer has already been posted, there is still some extra info there.

And if you still can't get it, check out the Ultimate Painting and Refinishing thread. There's a link in the Essential Links Thread

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Hold the tip of the can very close to the plate and spray until you have built up a nice little blob. You're basically just getting a run on the paint. Spray paint isn't really that different from normal paint, it's just pressurized in a can. You're just condensing it back into regular form so you can dip your brush in it. You're intentionally getting a big ol' run on the plate, or whatever else you have that you want to dip off of. You don't need alot though considering how small that spot is.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas