Here's a link to a video I helped make comparing the Shure SM57 and SM58 microphones for recording acoustic guitar. Should be helpful if you are purchasing a microphone to record acoustic guitar with and want to know the difference between them. There will be a comparison using electric guitar, bass guitar and a snare drum soon so feel free to subscribe if you are interested in seeing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcqLy73Z8Jk
I'm pretty sure you would just use a 58 for vocals and acoustic guitars, and a 57 for amps and drums. And bass would be either a direct box or a low-range specific mic.
Generally that's a good way to go. I think you're missing the point though, this video is here to show the differences in sound so you can make up your own mind on what to use and shows you the creative possibilities that each microphone offers and how they react when used together.

To me the single 58 on the guitar sounds quite thin in comparison to the clip with the 58 on the sound hole and the 57 pointing at the fretboard. The frequency response is much fuller and produces a more pleasant sound to my ears.

Cheers for the input.
regardless of the results on any of the positions or what anyone says what should be used to record this or that, it's up to the person's ear to decide which they like the sound of. I like to use my SM58 to help blend my guitar tone to make it fuller and mellow since I play trebly lead guitar.

Some might like the thin sound of just the 57 or some might like just the 58. It up for you to decide. Overall, thanks for the vid to let some kids see what they might want to buy in order to record.
Quote by Scotsman24`
regardless of the results on any of the positions or what anyone says what should be used to record this or that, it's up to the person's ear to decide which they like the sound of. I like to use my SM58 to help blend my guitar tone to make it fuller and mellow since I play trebly lead guitar.

Some might like the thin sound of just the 57 or some might like just the 58. It up for you to decide. Overall, thanks for the vid to let some kids see what they might want to buy in order to record.

Yeah that's exactly the idea of the video to compare so people can decide for themselves. We we're just giving our opinion on which we liked the most. I could understand if people wanted a thiner sound for a different creative application.

Glad you liked it
The 58 sounded a bit brighter on the first sound comparison.

In the end, they are the same mic. The capsule in the mics are the same exact one. The only difference is that the 85 has a foam wind screen and ball fitted to cut down on plosives for live use.