How do you prefer to end your solos/leads.. with a climax finish on a high note, or resolving slowly to a low note usually either the root or fifth, to add a sense of closure
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I end most of mine with a Randy Rhoads-esque bend (Crazy Train or Diary of a Madman style). But you have to change it up, otherwise it gets boring.
Hoped this was more theoretically when I saw it on the front page.

Well.. Depends on what makes most sense to the song.
Solos shouldn't end. You just keep playing 'til everyone leaves.
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
Quote by cheesecakes4
Hoped this was more theoretically when I saw it on the front page.

You make it more theoretical if you want, no ones stopping you.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I don't end all of my solos in a predefined way. I listen and do what sounds best to me for that particular song.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
I don't end all of my solos in a predefined way. I listen and do what sounds best to me for that particular song.

+1 on this

i try to end my solos based on the entire preceding solo. basically whatever sounds right to my ear for the end.
Quote by Wiegenlied
You make it more theoretical if you want, no ones stopping you.

Was hoping there was something to learn :-)
Depends on the context of the solo and where the song leads afterwards. There's no point learning a set ending because you'll find that 99% of the time, it doesn't fit perfectly in with the song.

Listen and then adapt.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
I usually play it by ear, whatever suits the song. Having said that, I have a weird tendancy to end it on a high bent chord, usually the root of the scale, so if i was playing in E, I have a weird tendancy to end it on:

E|b14
B|b15

It's a weird thing I seem to do a lot.
Quote by cheesecakes4
This.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
That's like asking if I always end sentences with periods or question marks...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Dive bomb.
Ibanez 540R
Ibanez RG1421F Prestige
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG120
Charvel 275DLX
Peavey Grind BXP 6-string Bass
Quote by hockeyplayer168
That's like asking if I always end sentences with periods or question marks...

Thats actually a really good metaphore. Bassically, it depends on the "sentance" before the "punctuation" that determines what it should be.
I don't
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
It depends on the song, but I try to write music (try, not necessarily accomplish) that makes people think like "woah, that sounds like it took thought!" so I'll apply tension-release and serialism, so the solos I write (and I usually write them ahead of time, sometimes though I let my lead guitarist improvise) will often start at like whatever the main riff is in the bridge/breakdown/whatever you wanna call the middle part, as the other instruments go back to the verse, and then the chorus, maybe go through a key and/or time change, then the solo will end playing the riff of the chorus once or twice.
edit: but yeah, all songs are different, like I wrote one where all the instruments just decrescendo during a guitar solo and it ends the song.
Quote by filtersweep
"The Aristocrats!"

Actually, you finish with a cleanup team

But yeah. there are a couple of possible ways to finish a solo.

One way of looking at it from a theory standpoint is doing a cadence, a perfect or semi-perfect cadence would especially work. Instead of chords, you use chord tones. Or you let the backing play the cadence.

Another way is if your good at phrasing, you kinda either making a question statement or finishing sentece, kinda hard to explain but nice instrumental melodies have very much in common with human speech, especially the rythmics, and stresses on 'syllabels'. The words dont really matter, rather it's the flow of the sentences that matter.. and from the flow comes the overal feeling and finality of things.
Like, if you have a solo halve way in the song, you end on a question.. "Did you think the eggs taste good?". Or, if you end the song on the solo, you might finish with "Those eggs smell bad."
It's hard to explain, but that is the gist of it.

Another way would be to end either on the tonic note of the solo part, play it high up and with some embelishment like a pinch harmonic or bend tremolo or whatever. Or do the same, but end on the fifth or seventh of the next part (if it's in a different key)
It is a goof discussion. I am a good singer. My high note is powerful but my low note is not so powerful. It is depend on songs. Sometime I finish a climax in a high note and sometime I finish a climax on a low note.