My 4 month old Martin D-15s has a hairline crack in it and i don't have a clue what to do. I thought i was going to keep this guitar for a long time now i'm to scared to even play it. I don't see how a solid guitar gets a crack after a couple of months and I'm pretty upset.

What do i do?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by whoomit
Where is the crack? Maybe a picture would help?

It's on the top, underneath where my arm would be. It's with the grain "pointing at the head stock" and is probably about 15cm long. I'll try to take a picture, but i don't think i have a camera around.

EDIT: Dont have a camera here. It's solid Sapele if that helps and is always kept in a case.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Aug 11, 2010,
Sh*t, that's a lot longer than I was expecting :|

Ooh sapele's nice, that's a real shame

Sorry I don't think I can really help you with this though, sorry :/

EDIT: Although this might help: http://everything2.com/title/How+to+repair+a+cracked+guitar
It says the guitar must be spruce or pine so maybe not, but it'll hopefully help anyway, wish you luck dude
Last edited by whoomit at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
It's on the top, underneath where my arm would be. It's with the grain "pointing at the head stock" and is probably about 15cm long. I'll try to take a picture, but i don't think i have a camera around.

EDIT: Dont have a camera here. It's solid Sapele if that helps and is always kept in a case.

Watch these videos.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Jesus, i didn't realise i had to humidify a guitar that's always kept in a case unless I'm playing and in a reasonable climate. I'm guessing the guitar place wont fix this for free, even though i asked if i need one.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Jesus, i didn't realise i had to humidify a guitar that's always kept in a case unless I'm playing and in a reasonable climate. I'm guessing the guitar place wont fix this for free, even though i asked if i need one.

Well, if there is no visible damage from an impact etc, then what else could cause it?

Do the test with a straight edge, like in the video. Is the top belled out like it should be, or is it flat with concave parts?

Watch all those Taylor videos and try and buy a couple of Dampits like he uses in the video.

Cold air is dry, and artificially heated air (in doors, central heating) is also dry.

Once you are sorted, you might consider an Oasis humidifier and Hygrometer.

Give my mate Paul a shout Here
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Aug 11, 2010,
I have a roughly 7cm crack on the top of my guitar, in the same place you described, and its fine, though you'll just have to be careful with it.

It might cause some sort of tonal issues, as the whole sounboard isnt resonating right, but my ears arent developed enough to be able to tell, so mines fine.

Sorry to hear its on such a nice guitar though, Martins are awesome.
Alright. Straightedge says that my to is slightly concave. I'll take it to the Guitar shop tomorrow and purchase some Dampits. I suppose I better also get a Oasis Humidifier too.

Heartbroken tbh, lol. I really hope this shit gets fixed. Thanks people, and thanks for the Links, Skeet.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Alright. Straightedge says that my to is slightly concave. I'll take it to the Guitar shop tomorrow and purchase some Dampits. I suppose I better also get a Oasis Humidifier too.

Heartbroken tbh, lol. I really hope this shit gets fixed. Thanks people, and thanks for the Links, Skeet.

You might not be able to get Dampits that easily. The only place you will get an Oasis is from my mate Paul.

You could try a small sponge, wrung out and put inside a bag then pop that in the soundhole. Seal off the sound hole and put it in it's case. It is all there in the videos

This one
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
You might not be able to get Dampits that easily. The only place you will get an Oasis is from my mate Paul.

You could try a small sponge, wrung out and put inside a bag then pop that in the soundhole. Seal off the sound hole and put it in it's case. It is all there in the videos

This one

Yeah, was going to purchase the Humidifier from your link.

I Didn't see the reference to the sponge in any of the videos. Am i just being dumb here?

So I put a sponge sealed in a plastic bag in there? Or in an open plastic bag. Either way, it's amazing that a little water vapour changes the shape of a guitar.

I think I'll spend a few months learning about Guitar repair and upkeep.

Does anyone know of any other way to do a cheap emergency Humid?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by Jiggzy.UK

So I put a sponge sealed in a plastic bag in there? Or in an open plastic bag. Either way, it's amazing that a little water vapour changes the shape of a guitar.

Does anyone know of any other way to do a cheap emergency Humid?

Kinda answered that one...with a sponge

I'm saying that it will be easier to do that, than find some Dampits in a hurry.

Yeah, the sponge thing. Use decent sponge or anything that will hold water but can be wrung out (bit of cloth, about 6 inches square?) put it in an open plastic bag. what you want, is to stop any liquid water touching the guitar, but allow vapour to be released into the guitar.

By sealing the soundhole, the vapour HAS to go into the wood.

Pop it back in its case and leave it level, so that it wont fall out of the bag. Check it next day.

Cloth pretty dry? Do it again. Keep doing it all the time the cloth is drying out and then some and hopefully...watch your crack disappear...so to speak. Then use your straight edge to see the belly coming back to the front and rear of the guitar.
Like in the video.

Perhaps mark the position of the crack with some tape, so you know where it is once it starts to close (like on the video!).

All in all, do what he does in the video
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Aug 11, 2010,
Check this link:
http://www.bryankimsey.com/

and go to Lutherie-Homemade humidifiers.

I also saw this trick-if you don't have sound hole cover you can blow up the baloon,while holding it in the sound hole,half way through it-it should seal the hole nicely.
Last edited by B86 at Aug 11, 2010,
Thanks alot everyone. You've helped me out a lot. Much appreciated.

Got the 'Ol damp cloth in a plastic bag in there, and I'll buy A humidifier tomorrow.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Thanks alot everyone. You've helped me out a lot. Much appreciated.

Got the 'Ol damp cloth in a plastic bag in there, and I'll buy A humidifier tomorrow.

Sealed the soundhole over?

Is it in it's case (does it have one?)
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
Sealed the soundhole over?

Is it in it's case (does it have one?)

Yep and yep.

I sealed it in a makeshift fashion, though. Just got a thin book wrapped it in plastic bag and put it over the top. Then put a tea cloth in between the book and the string so it's has enough pressure to cover the hole.

Sounds bloody stupid when written out like that.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Yep and yep.

I sealed it in a makeshift fashion, though. Just got a thin book wrapped it in plastic bag and put it over the top. Then put a tea cloth in between the book and the string so it's has enough pressure to cover the hole.

Sounds bloody stupid when written out like that.

Hey...if it works, it works...

Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I bought a plastic soap dish, made for travelling, and drilled a bunch of holes in the top.

Cut a sponge to fit, soaked the sponge and put in the the case under the headstock where it doesn't touch anything.

Keeps the humidity between 40%-50% during Alaska's cold winters.

Get a hygrometer for your case and check it ever couple of weeks to add water.

I use distilled water to keep the residue to a minimum.

Good Luck.
Last edited by flem snopes at Aug 13, 2010,
buy a hygrometer!!!!!!

then do a salt test, and always keep track of the humidity where you keep your guitar.
If you bought it new it will still be under warranty... so you should be able to get a replacement... If you live in the UK then humidity isnt really going to be an issue as the climate is very temperate.. As long as you keep the guitar in its case and keep it away from radiators, open fires etc it should be fine.
"The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."- Jimi Hendrix
actually most guitar companies don't cover humidity covered damage, martin being one.
Quote by randomtom
If you bought it new it will still be under warranty...so you should be able to get a replacement...

Nope, not if you didn't look after it correctly (even if you weren't to know).

Quote by randomtom
If you live in the UK then humidity isnt really going to be an issue as the climate is very temperate.. As long as you keep the guitar in its case and keep it away from radiators, open fires etc it should be fine.

Well, unless you know how the crack got there (do you know?), then what you have just said; is clearly not the case...because if it were, we wouldn't be talking about it in this thread and TS wouldn't have a crack in his guitar...would he?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Sorry to come back, but what's all this talk about warranty? My guitar is going to be fine once it's fixed isn't it?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Sorry to come back, but what's all this talk about warranty? My guitar is going to be fine once it's fixed isn't it?

It will be fine even if you don't fix it.
Quote by GC Shred Off
It will be fine even if you don't fix it.

Really? So, if his guitar has gone from new, to cracking in 4 months...more time untreated will not make it any worse? Well, you are a good example of someone who is ill informed. And as you seem to have not looked at the thread properly, clearly you just bandy your opinion about with regard for who may read it. In short, you are wrong Sir.

Quote by Jiggzy UK; Panicking because people who know nothing are posting crap

Dude.

A warranty, is something that may last for 6-24 months or maybe longer, whereby the manufacturer will repair any problem that is due to faulty workmanship etc.

Your problem, which as far as we can tell is caused by you, not monitoring humidity levels. I know you asked the guitar shop and they said no. Perhaps they should have asked more about where you will keep it, so maybe take that up with them.

If you do not fix your guitar it will get worse.

If you re-humidify it as in the videos, it should return to an almost good as new state.

Just to clarify. This crack appeared suddenly or over time and have you dropped it?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Aug 13, 2010,
Okay boys and girls, don't hate me for this...

I took it to the shop and they said it was a crack in the Glaze rather than the wood... Apparently...

I think i may have bigged up the crack to everyone...Really, my bad.

EDIT: In my defence, this is my first Martin...It looked like a bloody canyon to me.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Aug 13, 2010,
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Okay boys and girls, don't hate me for this...

I took it to the shop and they said it was a crack in the Glaze rather than the wood... Apparently...

I think i may have bigged up the crack to everyone...Really, my bad.

EDIT: In my defence, this is my first Martin...It looked like a bloody canyon to me.

So why is there a crack in the finish?

If the wood has moved underneath, then it will crack. If your top is concave, then it is dry, if your back is concaved it is dry.

How wide is the crack?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Quote by Skeet UK
So why is there a crack in the finish?

If the wood has moved underneath, then it will crack. If your top is concave, then it is dry, if your back is concaved it is dry.

How wide is the crack?

It isn't wide at all, 0 mm.

The front was, the back wasn't. It's possible i just thought it was concave at the front because of the string tension..

They said it's rare, but occasionally new guitars glycerin do crack, but usually it comes with age...Also said if it does get bigger, he has no qualms about replacing it.

Bottom line is, i think i fucked up, Skeet. My bad.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Skeet UK
Really? So, if his guitar has gone from new, to cracking in 4 months...more time untreated will not make it any worse? Well, you are a good example of someone who is ill informed. And as you seem to have not looked at the thread properly, clearly you just bandy your opinion about with regard for who may read it. In short, you are wrong Sir.

Let me rephrase myself. I suppose it may have been a bit vague. My post was intended to be more of a "no need to panic," than a "don't listen to these idiots, you should just keep doing what you're doing."

So, assuming TS isn't an complete idiot and chooses to heed any of the advice about how to humidify his guitar - already explained multiple times throughout this thread and many others - the crack will not propagate any further, even if he decides not to spends lots of cash to have it repaired. Cracks aren't the end of the world.

As much as I appreciate a good thread-policeman, it's best not to go out of your way to pick fights and throw insults.
Quote by GC Shred Off
Let me rephrase myself. I suppose it may have been a bit vague. My post was intended to be more of a "no need to panic," than a "don't listen to these idiots, you should just keep doing what you're doing."

So, assuming TS isn't an complete idiot and chooses to heed any of the advice about how to humidify his guitar - already explained multiple times throughout this thread and many others - the crack will not propagate any further, even if he decides not to spends lots of cash to have it repaired. Cracks aren't the end of the world.

Well that's all good then

Quote by GC Shred Off
As much as I appreciate a good thread-policeman, it's best not to go out of your way to pick fights and throw insults.

Although clearly, your original post could certainly be construed as "provocative" and my response, (though to the point) was measured and reflective of your post, which we now know, was a misunderstanding of your position.

I offer my apologies if I have overly offended you and I accept that your initial post was "off the cuff" and ill-considered.

I think we would both agree, that it could have been considerably more insulting, if I were a regular Pit Monkey
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Aug 16, 2010,
Quote by Skeet UK
I offer my apologies if I have overly offended you and I accept that your initial post was "off the cuff" and ill-considered.

It probably wasn't too ill-considered given the high probability of any given poster being a dumb-advice-throwing miscreant. I'm not offended in the least. Next time, I'll shall be more thorough.
keeping your guitar in the case won't really help unless the case is air tight and is never opened. once it's opened, the air gets in, and it's not like it gets back out. besides, most cases are not air tight. most people in environments where the humidity goes up find that their guitars have swollen while in the case.

i've never heard of a spontaneous crack that wasn't from swelling due to humidity issues or from cold. if it was spontaneous and not caused by anything - and i expect the guy in the shop is just plain wrong - i'd contact martin. that WOULD be a warranty issue. i'd also get a hygrometer, test it and use it. but then i have a couple, and when i first got them, i was surprised that the humidity in our apartment was nothing like we thought, and sometimes not much like it was outside.

Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Quote by patticake
keeping your guitar in the case won't really help unless the case is air tight and is never opened. once it's opened, the air gets in, and it's not like it gets back out. besides, most cases are not air tight. most people in environments where the humidity goes up find that their guitars have swollen while in the case.

i've never heard of a spontaneous crack that wasn't from swelling due to humidity issues or from cold. if it was spontaneous and not caused by anything - and i expect the guy in the shop is just plain wrong - i'd contact martin. that WOULD be a warranty issue. i'd also get a hygrometer, test it and use it. but then i have a couple, and when i first got them, i was surprised that the humidity in our apartment was nothing like we thought, and sometimes not much like it was outside.

Being in its case, protects it from sudden changes in humidity.

Also, if using a humidifier; it is easier to maintain the more enclosed environment of a case, than a room or a house.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
but slow changes in humidity will still hurt your guitar. unless you have a humidifier and dehumidifier, it's not like humidity changes will go away. as far as sudden changes, they're usually in temperature.

btw, i find it much easier to humidify and dehumidify our apartment than in cases. in an emergency if it's getting dry, you can always boil a pot of water or turn on the hot water in the shower and keep the bathroom door open to restore some humidity. and we bought a dehumidifier, which does the entire apt.