So I've been debating on weather I should post a thread about this or not and I finally decided what the hell so here it goes.

A few years back my uncle gave me this LP copy he had. It's a Kay, but I haven't been able to find out much about it. I've seen many LP copies Kay produced but they all have a different Headstock than the one mine has. I was hoping someone on here knew more about Kays than I do.

I honestly have no clue what year it was made or anything like that. It sounds really nice for what it is. What do you guys think? Any one have any information about it? And as for a serial # it has 4 or 5 numbers stamped on the bottom of the neck although I can't remember what they are. I did attempt to search them a few years back but I had no luck.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
It's bolt-on with a maple fretboard... not really a LP copy, more of a guitar that has the same shape.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Just one of very many 70s lawsuit era copies. Although the Kay's are not one of the Japanese companies to make the clones, They're American IIRC. Generally these guitars were beginner instruments and lower budget but they are pretty cool none the less. Congratz.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Just one of very many 70s lawsuit era copies. Although the Kay's are not one of the Japanese companies to make the clones, They're American IIRC. Generally these guitars were beginner instruments and lower budget but they are pretty cool none the less. Congratz.

70's you say? I didn't think it was that old. Thanks man.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Quote by offthewall91
70's you say? I didn't think it was that old. Thanks man.

Yeah it looks to be of the 70s era. I've seen a few Kay and Mann copies that look almost identical. That thing's prolly got the mo' mojo.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah it looks to be of the 70s era. I've seen a few Kay and Mann copies that look almost identical. That thing's prolly got the mo' mojo.

It doesn't have much mojo right now, it's needs a set up and a truss rod adjustment terribly. It has several dead sounding frets at the moment. If I had my guesses it's probably never had a proper set up done.

I've seen several Kay LP copies too but they all have a different headstock than that one. So I've always been curious about it.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Quote by offthewall91
It doesn't have much mojo right now, it's needs a set up and a truss rod adjustment terribly. It has several dead sounding frets at the moment. If I had my guesses it's probably never had a proper set up done.

I've seen several Kay LP copies too but they all have a different headstock than that one. So I've always been curious about it.

All of those Lawsuit companies have played with a few slightly different designs earlier on. I would say this is one of those 'earlier on' guitars as it's still bolt on and not quite as perfect as say... A Tokai Reborn or Love Rock. (I.E. No set in neck, incorrect burst colors and specs etc...)
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
All of those Lawsuit companies have played with a few slightly different designs earlier on. I would say this is one of those 'earlier on' guitars as it's still bolt on and not quite as perfect as say... A Tokai Reborn or Love Rock. (I.E. No set in neck, incorrect burst colors and specs etc...)

Maybe that's why I have never seen another Kay LP headstock with that design.

But I must say for a bolt on, it plays really well and sounds good. I'm going to take it to a tech soon to get it a proper tune up.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

That's good man! Hopefully you get a ton of mileage on it. There's always something about old guitars that you just can't replicate.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That's good man! Hopefully you get a ton of mileage on it. There's always something about old guitars that you just can't replicate.

Hopefully I can. I haven't played it much since I got my Tele but hopefully when I get all of the problems sorted out with it I'll actually be able to play it.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

The guitar is a 1968 KAY(K-3 MODEL?).....I HAVE ONE JUST LIKE IT....IF YOU UNBOLT THE NECK,IT SHOULD BE DATED ON THE REAR OF THE NECK,WHERE IT BOLTS TO THE BODY.
I haven't seen one of those in years. Kay didn't make a lot of copy guitars, similar to Harmony, who made no copies, always their own body styles. 20 years ago I found them in pawn shops all over the place, these days not many around it seems. Some of the Kay guitars were pretty good, some were el cheapo crap not worth fooling with. I've played some of their acoustics that were pretty good ones.

I didn't know the dates were under the neck, my Harmony Bobkat is dated by a rubber stamp on the underside of the pickguard, April 1, 1966.

That headstock was probably only made for a short time then changed to avoid lawsuits with Gibson. The most commonly known one was an Ibanez Les Paul copy, Gibson sued then for using an identical headstock. The Ibanez lawsuit guitars are sometimes worth good bucks these days...

A side note...not many people know that Gibson also made maple neck Les Pauls. I didn't know it till I met a guy in the mid 80's, other guitar payer in my band, who had one. Black, maple neck, I thought he special ordered it, he said nope, they made 500 a year at that time and he grabbed one right off the shelf. I know they made them though, I played it myself...and of course saw it onstage loads of times...only one I've ever seen.

Anyway get that thing set up, it might be a good one...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
About five years late guys.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright