I have a '81 JCM 800 2204. As I've been playing more with my band I've become preoccupied with the idea that the tone sounds bland a muddied down. I'm not a gearhead so some of this could seem obvious to many of you but I'd appreciate help.

It have a feeling that the number of pedals I have running between my guitar and amp may be sucking my tone. When I was younger I bought a bunch of pedals and I have them all hooked up

Currently my rig goes like this:

LTD EC-1000 (with SDs)->Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner->Vox Clyde McCoy Wah->Maxon OD808->Boss DS-1->MXR Phase 90->Boss BF-2 Flanger-> Visual Sounds H2O-> JCM 800-> THD Hotplate (8ohm) -> Heil Talk Box-> Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab w/ Vintage 30s.

All pedals are powered with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2

I use the OD808 as a boost for playing lead or harder sounding songs (although it sounds very treble-y, and use the DS-1 for more punk sounding distortion (it hisses like crazy when it's on higher distortion levels, though).

Also, we have some songs that go from clean to distorted tone. What do you recommend for doing this with a 1-channel amp. Should I A/B a second amp for clean tones?

Since I know it will be asked, our style is pretty diverse but most of it would best be described as a hard rock sound.

So give me any advice. Which pedals should I ditch? Are there any pedals I should add (from looking at other posts, it seems like people here are way into EQ with the JCM 800s) or replace with a better option?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated for helping me improve my rig. I want to get the best tone possible when playing live and recordingHelp me improve my JCM tone
Last edited by bstephan253 at Aug 11, 2010,
Id get rid of the DS1, or mod it. But probably get rid of it. Id keep most of the other stuff, and just mess with the eq until you find something you like. a new amp wouldnt be a bad Idea, but you could get a volume pedal, and use it for cleans and volume swells. Unless you need really loud cleans, But even then, On my DSL it responds to my volume knob amazingly well.
try putting a buffer at the end of your pedals to brighten up the sound a little.

and like nick said, get that DS1 modded. I strongly reccomend Alanogman.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
try putting a buffer at the end of your pedals to brighten up the sound a little.

+1 a buffer would be great to retain some of that lost sparkle in your sound.

Honestly JCM 800s clean up pretty nice (So long as you aren't using like, stupid amounts of gain) you could just use your volume control to control the gain.

Also, try running into the amp straight and see what you don't like about that first. Then slowly add pedals that are useful in obtaining that sound.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Any recommendations for a good buffer?

Quote by Jhachey22

Try taking the Vox out and see what that does for you.

Lots of wahs have notoriously bad bypass modes.

How much bass are you using and at what volume?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
get rid of the boss pedals and the phase 90. i have used all of these and i felt they all sucked tone

maybe new tubes?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.