ok so im going to be a senior in high school when school starts back up and i figure its time to start thinking about college. I want a degree in the recording arts or something like that where i can work in a studio. I really don't know where i should go to get this degree. i looked into Full Sail because its not too far from where i live but it's really expensive and i've heard some mixed reviews about it. If any of you guys go to college for something like this or know of some places it would be great if you could let me know about them.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
If you are willing to go to Canada, than check out OIART (Ontario Institute of Audio Recording Technology). It is in London, Ontario, and from what I have found it seems really good. It's where I plan on going once I finish high school.
Tons of trade schools have 2-year courses in audio engineering. I looked into it quite a bit because it's what I used to want to do.
I've ehard Full Sail looks great in the ads, but there is a really cheap campus and most of the graduates end up working at Guitar Center.

I'd recommend University of Miami. If you don't want to go to a university like that, look into S.A.E. They have campus' all over the world.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Quote by SWAS
If you are willing to go to Canada, than check out OIART (Ontario Institute of Audio Recording Technology). It is in London, Ontario, and from what I have found it seems really good. It's where I plan on going once I finish high school.

Woah! I'm gonna go there next week and check this place out.

Edit: Fanshawe also has MIA (Music Industry & Arts) program. OIART seems like it would be very hard to get into, but if you take MIA first it'd probably be a guaranteed acceptance. MIA itself is very hard to get into, I'm going to Fanshawe right now and considering applying after I finish my current program. Three friends of mine applied to MIA and they were all put on a waiting list, and one of them (my roommate last year) was accepted. The thing is you'll be accepted automatically if you graduate from general arts & science, which is a basic one-year program.

So if we put this all together, you take gen-arts for a year, MIA for two, the OIART is apparently only one as well. and viola, you have two music diplomas in the amount of time it would take to get a bachelor's degree, which I've heard gets you nothing.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Aug 11, 2010,
i am planning on doing the same thing next year once i get grade 12 out of the way
i personaly plan on going to a school located in a recording studio in my city(Calgary,Alberta about as far away from florida as you can get without leaving the north america) so check out some studios around you and see if they offer courses and such and alot of the time they will have specific course like for concerts or tv or radio or what not
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by Wiegenlied
Woah! I'm gonna go there next week and check this place out.

Edit: Fanshawe also has MIA (Music Industry & Arts) program. OIART seems like it would be very hard to get into, but if you take MIA first it'd probably be a guaranteed acceptance. MIA itself is very hard to get into, I'm going to Fanshawe right now and considering applying after I finish my current program. Three friends of mine applied to MIA and they were all put on a waiting list, and one of them (my roommate last year) was accepted. The thing is you'll be accepted automatically if you graduate from general arts & science, which is a basic one-year program.

So if we put this all together, you take gen-arts for a year, MIA for two, the OIART is apparently only one as well. and viola, you have two music diplomas in the amount of time it would take to get a bachelor's degree, which I've heard gets you nothing.

I found out about OIART when I was doing a project for my careers class. It seemed like it could be difficult to get in, but also seemed worth it. There is also colleges like Humber you can try too. Though I have heard good and bad about Humber. I am planning on trying to find a studio around my area, than take a co-op placement there in grade 12, which will hopefully help alot.
Berklee College of Music has a great Production and Engineering program. But the school itself is very expensive and the production program is very very exclusive, they only accept 15 students per semester or something like that
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.