So i wrote a cheap line to go over some chords, is there anyway to know for sure that im not just playing something someone else has come up with? I assume in someway someone has played just about every combination of notes...whats the line with that kind of thing?
if you're blatantly copying something, you're doing it wrong.

If you're unexperienced in songwriting and write a song full of generic-itis, you're also doing it wrong.

everything else goes.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Quote by thorbor
If you're unexperienced in songwriting and write a song full of generic-itis, you're also doing it wrong.

If you're unexperienced in songwriting, the first few things you're going to write are going to be things other people have likely done before, because they were in the same boat you are right now once.
Quote by thorbor
if you're blatantly copying something, you're doing it wrong.

everything else goes.

Not blatantly copying anything...i just am not sure how similar it could be to something already done...lets face it, just about every chord progression and run on the pentatonic scale has been done again and again.

Im wondering if theres some kind of database where i can put the thing in and it says - stairway or something...like the band name database...or if ill just have to find out when someone tells me its identical to such and such xD
Nope, there's no such database. Wouldn't be possible to assemble unless every band submitted their music in digital format to some kind of collection/cataloguing agency.
Quote by LessThanLuke
Nope, there's no such database. Wouldn't be possible to assemble unless every band submitted their music in digital format to some kind of collection/cataloguing agency.

Blahness...yea i kinda figured but i never even though there would be a band name registry so it was worth a shot. Would be a nightmare to program O.O
if you're not sure about your music you should probably concentrate more when listening to other stuff. It's the only way to get to know the difference between generic and original.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Ignore the first post.

Any combination of guitar notes can be used over in another song, so long as it's masked within the other guitar possibly playing a lead while the drums and bass do something completely different.

Think of it as a soup. You can invent a new soup with the same ingredients as another, so long as you give it some sort of new spice or "broth" to make something new.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
Fate is your deciding God
I was kind of implying that. but as we all know, common sense is a superpower.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Quote by thorbor
I was kind of implying that. but as we all know, common sense is a superpower.

Hence why I said ignore.

You need to word things better. You were too simplistic.
For the creator of hallowed intentions
Fate is your deciding God
to be honest I got confused with my tabs and thought this is a pit thread, hence me wording
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
it only needs to be 30% different for it not to count as plagarism
Come on Skeeter, he don't mean no harm