Page 1 of 3
I searched and found nothing of relevance. If a thread already exists, just tell me and I'll close it.

Well, for those unaware, sometime last week, Anne Rice, author of Interview with a Vampire and other such works, posted on her Facebook page that she was officially leaving Christianity.

Quote by Anne Rice
"For those who care, and I understand if you don’t: Today I quit being a Christian. I’m out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being “Christian” or to being part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to “belong” to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I’ve tried. I’ve failed. I’m an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else."

Later that day:

Quote by Anne Rice
“As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.”

So, she has left Christianity because she feels that it is contradictory to the teachings of Christ and is generally contradictory to not being an asshat. No new information to me.

This is all well and dandy; the more secularists in the world the better in my opinion, but she is making quite a big deal out of it. I follow her on Facebook, and I can no longer log on without seeing a post by her on the subject. She is really feeding off of the public reaction to this.

Frankly, I find it quite annoying that she's still rambling on about it, so I wrote an open letter to her:

Quote by Tom
Dear Anne Rice,

Please…. just shut the hell up already. Good for you for leaving Christianity in the name of Christ and whatnot! Welcome to the world of people who aren’t totally blind! Anyone who isn’t a complete fool can see that Christians are ridiculous hypocrites. I’m glad you’ve decided to be a good person in the life that we have evidence of, and I hope you bring a few people along with you, but I am getting damn tired of reading your little blurbs about it every time I log onto Facebook. Enough is enough; just let it go already and live your life.

Love,

Tom

So, for those of you who are also aware of this, how do you feel about it?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
she's just doing it so she can write more vampire books and get on the bandwagon she missed by about 5 years
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by Shayne777
she's just doing it so she can write more vampire books and get on the bandwagon she missed by about 5 years

Pretty astute observation, bro.
cool story bra.................somebody doesn't like Christianity, who woulda thought?

Quote by Greendayfan16

cool story bra.................somebody doesn't like Christianity, who woulda thought?

Quote by NickGiovanni
Lol, This is Sig worthy my friend, Kudos to you and your wise-ass-ness
Good.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
she's an awesome writer, and i think she has done the right thing.
Um just letting you guys know, In the name of Christ I'm also leaving Christianity.. So where's my thread?
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Quote by GreenDayFan16

How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Quote by Deadlock Riff
Nice, well to you i mean

Oh, and no doubt I like her writing. I think she's indeed quite good; I am just getting tired of hearing about this so much.

Quote by Lugnaz987
Um just letting you guys know, In the name of Christ I'm also leaving Christianity.. So where's my thread?

You get one after you drone on about it for 2+ weeks.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Aug 11, 2010,
So... she's still committed to Christ, but doesn't follow what he preached?

The dude (jesus,) was pretty much against gays and such. You can't really say you're still with him and totally reject what he taught.

I love it when people that claim to be christian don't know what they're talking about.

(She still claims to be christian if she claims to still be committed to christ, btw. She just doesn't like the people around her.)
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Aug 11, 2010,
lol she is looking for attention there are thousands of people (me included) who feel that way.

I believe in god but the bible at times seems like a manual for how to oppress others.

I liked interview with a vampire...but of course Lestat is nothing compared to Edward Cullen...Edward Cullen Sparkles!! ooooooooo.....

BLADE IS BEST VAMPIRE EVER!!!
Quote by Lugnaz987

Where's your multi-million dollar series of novels?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by SlayingDragons

The dude (jesus,) was pretty much against gays and such. You can't really say you're still with him and totally reject what he taught.

I love it when people that claim to be christian don't know what they're talking about.

(She still claims to be christian if she claims to still be committed to christ, btw. She just doesn't like the people around her.)

Now, I could argue with you a little bit there. Firstly, Jesus never really mentioned homosexuality. He also taught about tolerance and whatnot, and I don't see too many Christian churches preaching tolerance these days.

I'm not religious, but I am quite interested in Jesus as a human being. He did have some good things to say.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by goest
Pretty astute observation, bro.

i just guess that famous people only do the things they do for money
80% of the time i am 75% right
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by SlayingDragons

I saw a Gay rights sign that said:

"WHAT JESUS SAID ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY: '............' "

There is stuff about it in the bible, but not in Jesus's own teachings.

She speaks sense, but why she feels the need to go on about it as if she's never heard anyone speak out like this before is beyond me. Some one needs to introduce her to Dawkins.
Quote by SlayingDragons

The dude (jesus,) was pretty much against gays and such.

and how the **** you know that,you have a time machine or something?
I fail to see how you can not be a Christian while following Christ. Christian, by definition, means you follow Christ.
She's a Christian but removing herself from a morally dubious organisation (the Church, Catholic if I remember). That's all she's saying, don't get too caught up on her words. It's called word play. It's normally done for effect. Don't be so pedantic.

Fair play to her.
Quote by SlayingDragons

I do love it as well. Go off and tell me where Jesus says that you can't be gay.
Last edited by Craigo at Aug 11, 2010,
This might not be totally relevant, but Christians really do get a bad rap. Some deservedly so, like Westboro Baptist, those are the only ones you ever hear about cause they take things way too far. I'm not trying to preach or anything, but not ALL Christians "hate fags" and are hypocrites or whatever. Some actually do legitimately make an effort to show compassion to everyone, it's just the obnoxious ridiculously right-wing ones that you see on the news and TV and stuff.
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Quote by Meths
Where's your multi-million dollar series of novels?

ohhhhh BURN
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
Last edited by ilovepepsi at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by Craigo
She's religious but removing herself from a morally dubious organisation. That's all she's saying, don't get too caught up on her words. Fair play to her.

I do love it as well. Go off and tell me where Jesus says that you can't be gay.

ZING!!!!

Quote by transplants182
This might not be totally relevant, but Christians really do get a bad rap. Some deservedly so, like Westboro Baptist, those are the only ones you ever hear about cause they take things way too far. I'm not trying to preach or anything, but not ALL Christians "hate fags" and are hypocrites or whatever. Some actually do legitimately make an effort to show compassion to everyone, it's just the obnoxious ridiculously right-wing ones that you see on the news and TV and stuff.

I live in the American South, particularly eastern Tennessee. I know about hypocritical, ignorant and intolerant Christians. Hardly any religious people around here are about showing compassion to anyone who doesn't exactly agree with them. I might shit my pants if I saw one of the members of the largest local church being kind to a gay person.

Quote by John Frusciante
Bible Thumpers: Those books you wrote that made you famous and mega rich, you have to tell people to not buy them because they're anti-Christian..

Anne Rice: <.>

Anne Rice: <..>

Anne Rice: <...>

Anne Rice: I don't want to be Christian anymore..
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Now, I could argue with you a little bit there. 1.)Firstly, Jesus never really mentioned homosexuality. 2. He also taught about tolerance and whatnot, and I don't see too many Christian churches preaching tolerance these days.

I'm not religious, but I am quite interested in Jesus as a human being. He did have some good things to say.

1. True, but if I'm correct, he did destroy this one city for "corrupt sexual practices," (or something like that,) in the old testament, and that could be interpreted as adultery and homosexuality.

2. Nah, not really, I don't think he preached anything about tolerance. In fact, I think he was pretty much against it... Unless you can find me something that proves me wrong.

I don't know, I'm not christian. I just hear this stuff in church.
Quote by transplants182
This might not be totally relevant, but Christians really do get a bad rap.

You live in a predominately Christian nation. I don't think you can make that significant of a claim.
Quote by SlayingDragons

You can feel that homosexuality isnt right and not go out of your way to harass them. Im pretty sure Jesus never taught anyone to harass anyone in general. Im not sure if Jesus himself ever said anything about homosexuality, the only book I know of in the New Testament with anti gay stuff in it is Romans
Quote by SlayingDragons
1. True, but if I'm correct, he did destroy this one city for "corrupt sexual practices," (or something like that,) in the old testament, and that could be interpreted as adultery and homosexuality.

2. Nah, not really, I don't think he preached anything about tolerance. In fact, I think he was pretty much against it... Unless you can find me something that proves me wrong.

Unfortunetly teachings of church=/= to teachings of christs
Quite honestly, the main focus of Jesus's teachings was love. The dude was nothing BUT tolerant. He hung out with prostitutes, lepers, what were considered to be sinners, the outcasts of society, preaching to them a message of love. Some church's have screwed up a LOT in this regard. Not mine. I'd appreciate if in this thread we keep in mind that there are many denominations of Christianity for a reason.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by SlayingDragons

The Bible does have some anti-homosexual messages, but Jesus doesn't say a word on it. Don't make any implication or outright statement that he did express anti-homosexual sentiments.
Stop arguing about the Bible. This thread is about Anne Rice, not whether Christ was against/for homosexuality. We've already had a discussion like this in the 'Prop 8' thread.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Last edited by Metalology at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by SlayingDragons

Well, I highly doubt Jesus destroyed a city, but I could be wrong. The burden of proof is on you.

As for tolerance: http://www.religioustolerance.org/tol_bibl.htm

Go to the New Testament.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by Craigo
The Bible does have some anti-homosexual messages, but Jesus doesn't say a word on it. Don't make any implication or outright statement that he did express anti-homosexual sentiments.

Well, I figure according to the bible: God=Jesus=Holy Spirit=God, and the bible is claimed to be the words of God through man, so he might as well have said it.
Quote by NickGiovanni

Please change your avatar. I keep seeing it and reading your posts then thinking "what the hell....Ur_All_$h1t wouldn't say something that stupid " Then realising it's you.

My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by Craigo
You live in a predominately Christian nation. I don't think you can make that significant of a claim.

Yeah that's a valid point, but I had in mind people who aren't Christians give them a bad rap. Like people who aren't seem so turned off by it, which is their right, but not all Christians are hypocritical and hate everyone who isn't like them like you see on TV. Some are that way though, which is pretty pathetic considering it kind of contradicts the Bible in every way, being so self-righteous and all.
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Quote by SlayingDragons
Well, I figure according to the bible: God=Jesus=Holy Spirit=God, and the bible is claimed to be the words of God through man, so he might as well have said it.

The Bible is not written by god; it is written by humans, several humans. If god exists, it does not speak to people. If it did, I think we would have some, well, proof of god's existence.

Anyways:
Quote by Metalology
Stop arguing about the Bible. This thread is about Anne Rice, not whether Christ was against/for homosexuality.

You're absolutely right. Anne Rice, stfu!

EDIT:

Quote by goest
I don't think he destroyed Sodom, but he fucked it's shit up.

Oh hell....

Quote by John Frusciante
Me and religion in a nutshell:
Me: There is no proof of the existence of God.
Christian: There's no proof he doesn't exist either!
Me: There's no proof the easterbunny doesn't exist either.
There, I ended years of useless argumenting.
Christians gonna Christ, there's nothing you can do by bitchin and moaning about it.
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Originally Posted by Anne Rice
“As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I’m out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.”

That sounds closer to Islam but other religions are not to be talked down on right?, it is only cool to bash Christianity.

But what she said up top, not every Christian is anti all that anyway. But for some of you, you look for every excuse to point out Christianity as being *evil* and refuse to open up to some very good wisdom in the scribes also.
Quote by Craigo

Actually when Jesus was asked about marriage he referred to passages in Genesis that define marriage as being between a man and a woman

(I had to google the verse, btw)

"But from the beginning of creation God made them man and female." Mark 10:6
Last edited by justaramsfan at Aug 11, 2010,
Page 1 of 3