Hey all you bass players.
I've been wondering about something regarding the bass guitar for a while. I'm not playing bass myself, but i'm still curious.
So here's the question.
How is the right picking technique in playing bass. Whenever i check some bass cover, people use different picking.
First example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RouEoc_TY18
It seems like the guy who's playing, uses the guitar picking technique. Though this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaWEbKp4ajk Uses the more "traditional?" technique?
(These are just examples, i'm not really into the skills of the player. You can discuss it if you'd like though)
So what is the right way of playing? Or is both ways proper?
both ways are proper.

you get alot of snobs saying you should only play bass with your fingers, but thats just not true. They are two entirely different sounds.

Now, using a pick because your not good enough to use your fingers is a different thing. its important to be good with both, but differentiating between using the two should only be a matter of sound, not skill.....hopefully...

thats how i see it.

I use both. Only for sound purposes.
Well the first guy is using a pick, the second is using his fingers. Neither of them are wrong is just a preference. They make different tones and feel different. It's all up to the player to decide which technique to use, but it's usually said that a bassist should learn to play with a pick and with their fingers.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Cool. Thanks.
I kinda thought using a pick would be guitarists giving it a try on the bass.
there are bassists out there who use both, generally picks are also used for speed as well as tonal purposes. i myself prefer using fingers, but if a song calls for fast root notes, i will generally use a pick if i feel my fingers aren't fast enough for it
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Pick vs. Fingers is a useless debate, which is constantly stirred by bass elitists and newbies who want to look like elitists.

I personally like playing with my fingers, since I have more control, and speed is not an issue if you have your 3 finger technique down. Tho I play some stuff with a pick, just because it fits better with the music sometimes. Also, a pick is a good backup if you hurt your right hand's fingers - some time ago I cut my middle finger, so I couldn't play fingerstyle with the 3 finger approach, so I spent a week playing with a pick, `till it healed up.

And about "bassists who use picks suck, they have no skills", IT'S RETARDED! Maybe it's easier to get better timing on 1/16th notes, BUT the pick doesn't help your left hand be any better! That's just down to pure skill and experience. Check out all of the bassists that were in Nile - they're all using picks, they play nothing easier than the guitarists, and they are VERY technical.

So it's basically up to your taste here. I like using picks for some heavy metal (Accept, Dio and so on), death`n`roll and doom metal, basically wherever it would suit the needed sound.
Quote by KrisHQ
Hey all you bass players.
I've been wondering about something regarding the bass guitar for a while. I'm not playing bass myself, but i'm still curious.
So here's the question.
How is the right picking technique in playing bass. Whenever i check some bass cover, people use different picking.
First example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RouEoc_TY18
It seems like the guy who's playing, uses the guitar picking technique. Though this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaWEbKp4ajk Uses the more "traditional?" technique?
(These are just examples, i'm not really into the skills of the player. You can discuss it if you'd like though)
So what is the right way of playing? Or is both ways proper?

either one is correct. hell i will sometimes use classical guitar techniques with my basses sometimes as well.