Page 1 of 8
I was thinking about the old cartoon "Hey Arnold". While it was just a kids show, it actually had some fairly mature overtones.

Arnold's parents (potentially) abandoned him.
Helga's mom is an alcoholic.
They live in the "slums".

What are some seemingly innocent things that actually are quite sad if given proper thought?
Quote by KeepOnRotting
Inb4 that pokemon coma story.

Oh god not that. ):
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Seeing a Games Workshop salesman sell something to a child
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
The opening scene of Finding Nemo is pretty ****ed up. I mean the mom and about 100 baby fish eggs getting eaten by a big fish. That's messed up for a kids movie.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by goest
Dooming of younger and younger kids via our over-sexualized culture.

bingo.

also, most They Might Be Giants songs are super-depressing even though they sound like happy kids' music.
#DTWD
Fairly Odd Parents.

Timmy is so lonely he gets assigned fairies to keep him happy.
His parents are basically insane and pay little attention to him.
He's constantly left in the care of an abusive babysitter.

But then he does get magic, so I don't have any sympathy.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
The confusion cause by the lack of knowledge over Ash's Pikachu's gender.
Acts like Girl, But Pikachu is clearly a manly name.
Idk dude... I JUST DONT KNOW
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

That Pokemon coma theory ruined my love of Pokemon. No joke, I felt really sad everytime I thought of it.
Quote by Kilobyte
Fairly Odd Parents.

Timmy is so lonely he gets assigned fairies to keep him happy.
His parents are basically insane and pay little attention to him.
He's constantly left in the care of an abusive babysitter.

But then he does get magic, so I don't have any sympathy.

I know that its just a cartoon, but I honestly feel as though Timmy didn't really "deserve" fairies. Chester should have gotten them instead.
Quote by Conorhstone
That every 3 seconds a child dies that's sad

How is that innocent....?
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Quote by NickGiovanni
The confusion cause by the lack of knowledge over Ash's Pikachu's gender.
Acts like Girl, But Pikachu is clearly a manly name.
Idk dude... I JUST DONT KNOW

Actually, Pikachu is male because he has a straight edge to his tail, opposed to the heart-shaped tail feamales have.

/srsaboutPokemon
^IMO

Remember Reach

Soulsilver FC 1505 8079 2846
Quote by JacobTheMe
I know that its just a cartoon, but I honestly feel as though Timmy didn't really "deserve" fairies. Chester should have gotten them instead.

That's not how "Da Rules" work, though.

Chester is extremely happy. He doesn't care that he lives in absolute poverty. He's proud of his life and his friends.

Timmy's actually extremely selfish in that regard.
most major religions are pretty depressing
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
beavis and butthead make me depressed when i think about them sometimes. they have no friends; they have no chance with women; they're not smart; they have no parents, let alone any figure to serve as a parental figure. who has EVER loved beavis and butthead? no one. it's pitiful. they aspire to be like todd. todd just exploits them for his own gain and never does it subtly. he beats them up and trashes their home and destroys everything. and after he does all of that, they still admire him and want to be him. it's like stockholm syndrome. todd is the closest thing they have to a father figure. ignorance is bliss, of course. but i can't imagine never having been loved. i realize their just a parody of the gen-x MTV crowd, but still.
#DTWD
Quote by davrockist
most major religions are pretty depressing

Dont. ****ing. Start.

I dont find many little things depressing TS, none that I can think of.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by JacobTheMe

Chester always gets to hang out with his Dad though.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
The colours in Hey Arnold were always depressing aswell and the Grandpa who was always cheery despite being in near poverty struck something with me.

Retirement homes make me sad.
SMILE!
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
What is this pokemon coma theory????

That the entire Pokemon idea is that Ash is actually in a coma and eventually dies during said coma.

...if memory serves.
Legalizing weed, in effect making it morally acceptable.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by goest
That the entire Pokemon idea is that Ash is actually in a coma and eventually dies during said coma.

...if memory serves.

That's just Life on Mars!
The episode of futurama when fry sees his dog on display at a museum. The ending is just
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Last edited by ESPLTDV401DX at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by JacobTheMe

But his dad actually loved him and would do stuff with him all the time. Even Timmy's only two friends, Chester and AJ, usually didn't have enough time/care enough about him to hang out.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Zoot Allures
There's nothing wrong with weed being morally acceptable and legal

I don't see how it's currently "morally" unacceptable.
Quote by primusfan
beavis and butthead make me depressed when i think about them sometimes. they have no friends; they have no chance with women; they're not smart; they have no parents, let alone any figure to serve as a parental figure. who has EVER loved beavis and butthead? no one. it's pitiful. they aspire to be like todd. todd just exploits them for his own gain and never does it subtly. he beats them up and trashes their home and destroys everything. and after he does all of that, they still admire him and want to be him. it's like stockholm syndrome. todd is the closest thing they have to a father figure. ignorance is bliss, of course. but i can't imagine never having been loved. i realize their just a parody of the gen-x MTV crowd, but still.

What about Stewart?
Quote by JacobTheMe
I was thinking about the old cartoon "Hey Arnold". While it was just a kids show, it actually had some fairly mature overtones.

Arnold's parents (potentially) abandoned him.
Helga's mom is an alcoholic.
They live in the "slums".

What are some seemingly innocent things that actually are quite sad if given proper thought?

Also, that dude and his wife always getting in fights.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by CaptDin
What about Stewart?

that's a whole nother level of depressing. but at least he has over-protective parents. he may not be cool, but his parents love him.
#DTWD
Quote by rgrockr
Legalizing weed, in effect making it morally acceptable.

Um. wat
Was just thinking that Stuart Little is a pretty depressing children's movie. It basically is about a rat that is abandoned by his parents and learns to love another, then they get yanked away from him and he has to fight to get them back. I mean it works out in the end, but still.

Oh and to the person who was serious about pokemon, you made me laugh with that. Thank you sir.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
can i also say the end of taxi driver has always been depressing ever since someone told me the 'travis died in the *****house' theory?
#DTWD
teletubbies. they talk in gibberish, the face on the sun is that of a baby, and the one has a dildo on it's head. why japan why?
When i see someone eating or drinking something that's smaller than usual it makes me depressed for some reason. Like those bottles of coke that are smaller than normal bottles of coke.

EDIT: And when i get excited about something small. I was smiling walking home the other day because i knew there was a cheesecake in my fridge at home. How empty is my life if that shit makes my day?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by primusfan
can i also say the end of taxi driver has always been depressing ever since someone told me the 'travis died in the *****house' theory?

I think all theories about the ending are quite depressing, actually.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
EDIT: And when i get excited about something small. I was smiling walking home the other day because i knew there was a cheesecake in my fridge at home. How empty is my life if that shit makes my day?

There's nothing wrong with being excited by cheesecake.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.