Hi, i need thick strings since i'm going into a low tuning. Just wondering, What gauge bass strings are good for Drop B? (B F# B E - from low to high) And what brand offers those strings?

Thanks , Nor
Power Slinky Ernie Balls should be ok, although if you can get heavier ones, i would. You could always buy a light 5 string set and just use the necessary strings.
Quote by mishax92
You could always buy a light 5 string set and just use the necessary strings.

this.

i did that with my bass cause my band played in drop b. it really does help. though a lil more expensive, its worth it IMO. plus you can get away with tuning the B string to drop C and still be fine.

EDIT: i personally always use Ernie Ball. always have worked great for me.
Last edited by sweet<>dreams at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by sweet<>dreams
this.

i did that with my bass cause my band played in drop b. it really does help. though a lil more expensive, its worth it IMO. plus you can get away with tuning the B string to drop C and still be fine.

EDIT: i personally always use Ernie Ball. always have worked great for me.

thanks for both of ur opinions. Although, i forgot to mention i was looking for steel strings. I dont think ernie ball strings go that heavy with their steel strings. and If i buy a five string set and tune the strings to drop B , wouldn't that be keeping the low string on a lower octave than the other three since ur supposed to DROP the B . In 5 string sets, standard tuning is BEADG, If i tune the E A D G strings up a whole step, they'll be in a different octave won't they?
They mean use the B, E, A and D strings and tune them to B, E, A and D. You may need to file the string slots in your nut to make them fit, but there shouldn't be any problems.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
They mean use the B, E, A and D strings and tune them to B, E, A and D. You may need to file the string slots in your nut to make them fit, but there shouldn't be any problems.

I don't wanna play in BEAD, i need to be play in BF#BE . If i wanted to play in B standard, i have a five string.
I did that on a set of Regular DR Hi Beams in a previous band I was in. The gauge will hold the tuning. Ernie Ball is just horrendous to me because they lose brightness fast.
Get a 5 string set of the lightest Roto 66s.

YOU NEED TO FILE THE NUT TO FIT THE B STRING. DO NOT FORGET THIS.
If the B string is resting on a slot too small for it then it it will snap the nut and plastic bits will fly in your eye and KILL YOU DEAD.
Quote by Noreee
I don't wanna play in BEAD, i need to be play in BF#BE . If i wanted to play in B standard, i have a five string.

Yeah sorry I meant tune them to BF#BE, but still use the 4 lowest strings from a 5 string set, tuning them up a step shouldn't break them. (I don't think so anyway)

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
Yeah sorry I meant tune them to BF#BE, but still use the 4 lowest strings from a 5 string set, tuning them up a step shouldn't break them. (I don't think so anyway)

If you get a lighter gauge set, for a 5 string, they'll be floppy tuned to B E A D anyway, so tuning the last 3 up a step wouldnt be a problem.