So, there have been a couple GP versions for this sweet song available elsewhere, but they appear pretty hard for me. On my search for a more playable version, I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIiRng9UfZc&feature=related

Further search led to the sheet:

http://www.mediafire.com/?pkz7oylaf4jqgq6

I used that sheet to translate to GP:

http://www.mediafire.com/?v498n8o217is66v

Now I really need you to hear and edit that GP version, cause I know nothing about score reading All of the work just bases on my best imitation and feeling, and some measures do sound half-ass

Thanks. And one more thing, for better future work, what should I look at to learn something about how to read scores? An website, a thread, a book, anything that may do the job is welcome.

EDIT: False link
Attachments:
Eyes on me_FF VIII.gpx
Quote by obeythepenguin
If you want the Martin, accept no substitute -- save up and get the Martin.

Yes
Last edited by NonSleeper at Aug 12, 2010,
maybe I'm doing it wrong, but there isn't any GP file in your uploads. Or if there is, why not simple use the forum-internal attachement system here..

if you're looking for nice solo-guitar adaptions of Final Fantasy (and other VG-music) songs, check out the work of youtube user "lolonjp". He does nice arrangements, playable for the advanced beginner, and most importantly he doesn't rip off the official scorebooks .
There are already some GP-transcriptions of his stuff here on UG and elsewhere (some labeled as such, some not). Check out www.gametabs.net , for what I think is the most comprehensive archive of game-related tabs on the net.

How to "read scores" is really simple. How to play fluid from sight-reading a score is "hard" (in that it takes disciplined gradual practice). It's like playing chess in that respect, there are just a few simple rules and moves, you can memorize them in 5 minutes - doesn't make you a master chess player. If you're serious about wanting to learn standart notation (and that's a good thing, as it opens up the classical library to you and, most importantly, access to nonguitar music, and deepens your bond and understanding of the instrument and music as a whole) - just go to any website you can find with a simple google query. Even the wikipedia entry will tell you all you "need to know":
- What lines of the staff correspond with what notes
- The rhythm notation (you know, stuff like 'one flag means 8th, two flags mean 16th..)
- keys and accidentals and how they change the notes
- (there are some special signs for playing instructions, but that's not important for a beginner)

What is implicitly expected there is that you actually know what notes are where on the fretboard. There are lots of memory-helping devices (like little sayings we learn in music school) that'll help you remember the notes on the staff lines. Now the "hard" part, practicing that until you get fluid. Start with simple, one-line melodies with easy rhythm. Scores, as opposed to tabs, don't explicitly tell you where to put your fingers, you have to figure that out on your own, and aquiring this skill is best done with gradual difficuilty-increase (so no big jumps at the beginnings, rather focusing on learning 2-3 notes at a time). From there, learn to read more involved melodies, then go to simple polyphonic pieces, etc...
Go about it like you would learn a second language, practice in small digestible chunks but practice daily. And do yourself a favor and pick up a book or two with some of the good old classical studies and etudes, the masters had some nice method books written.

Here, I attached a simplified version of "eyes on me" I use with my students (abstracted from the lolonjp-version, i think, which is too hard yet in graded study for some). Cheers
Attachments:
FF-EoM(ez).gp4
The link is fixed, plus the internal attachment

Yep I really want to approach guitar from "bottom up" and thanks for your advice, oh and your GP's EoM

Following what you say about translation from score notes to the fret and maybe hand position, that's another thing I'm confused about. Most of the time I know what note it is and where the possible frets are. But choosing the exact fret is the problem. A simple example, let's say a G note appears on the score. So how can I decide if it is the open third string, third fret on the first string, or even eighth fret on the second string?
Quote by obeythepenguin
If you want the Martin, accept no substitute -- save up and get the Martin.

Yes
Last edited by NonSleeper at Aug 12, 2010,
from my understanding, you havce to look at the context and figure out yourself where to play which note.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
"So how can I decide if it is the open third string, third fret on the first string, or even eighth fret on the second string"

yah, context is the important thing here, as already said. You look at where you came from in the score and where you'll go, position-wise, and it becomes rather obvious what the "best" way to fret something is. I mean, there may be lotsa different ways to finger a single-line melody on the fretboard, but especially classical pieces are rather polyphonal and were written with one "most sensible" way in mind. If you're lucky and have a good score you even get strong hints with position markers (roman numerals) and lefthand fingering numbers indicating the "correct" way.

Unlike, say for example, the piano where one note corresponds solely with a specific key, the guitar can produce the same note on different strings/fret-positions. This is one of the most common problem issues cited by people who find it difficult learning to read scores. It's actually not difficult in itself - it just is, because (and here's the insight) because the people still "think" in tabulature, at least internally. The good news is that note recognition and fingering will come to you naturally after a time of digestible and constant(!) practice. To demonstrate by analogy: in languages like English, the same letter (like "t") can sound different, depending on its context ("there" - "texas"). You have to wean yourself off from tabulature and the mental processes associated with it, because they make sightreading harder. To demonstrate, here's what your brain does when you're a beginner who had just relied on tab:

-you've got a score in front of you and spend seconds figuring out what that note on the nth staff-line is
- oh, don't forget to check for accidentals
- now you've got the note. Say it's a G. Now you spend more seconds trying to find it on the fretboard (many tab-users learn the actual notes on the fretboard rather late, if at all, because hey I'm just following the tab, dude)
- and if you found the note on the fretboard, is it in the best position ?
- repeat

Such processing is mentally taxing, like the translation of a translation. Of course it's hard and frustrating and makes our first steps in scores slow and arkward. That's why it's important to keep the learning in small digestible chunks, as to not get overwhelmed and familiarize our brain with the new routines. On the upside, the advantages to mastering scores are numerous: you'll learn the notes on the fretboard inside and out (as you're actually forced to), you aquire a language with which you can communicate with non-guitar music, the immediate intervallic representation of scores connects you more immediately to the actual musical ideas, and hey you have nothing to lose anyway, as you can still use tabs as you want.