Page 1 of 3
Is there some particular tone that you just have no idea how to recreate? Something that has drove you mad? This can go from huge differences to those tiny bits of unwanted reverb. Share your anecdotes here!! One in particular for me was and still is the intro to Slipknot's Before I Forget, I can play it, just can't get that super thick sound! Drives me crazy Now this isn't specifically a ''how do i get this tone?'' thread, but, help is always appreciated!
I still haven't found "The Tone". I don't think I ever will, but I don't know how close I can get and whether it's worth settling for a compromise when I could find something better the very next day. I'm sure that applies to a lot of people.
^ If you hadn't linked it, I was going to.

Best.

Tone.

Ever.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
That middle position tone from 4:08 to the end is impossible to replicate.

It sounds like a les paul. And it sounds like a Marshall. But when you sit there with a les paul and Marshall, it is impossible to dial that sound out.
I can’t believe it’s 2010 and I still can’t buy a pedal that gives that insane distortion tone at the beginning of the Beatles’ “Revolution.” Serious, people would buy an Axe-FX if it had a model for that sound.
If I'm right, in revolution they just took straight guitar signal and boosted the holy hell out of it until the signal itself actuall distorted...
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by Metalmaker
If I'm right, in revolution they just took straight guitar signal and boosted the holy hell out of it until the signal itself actuall distorted...

basically the Randy bachman formula: running multiple pre-amps into each other. nothing really special about the "Revolution" tone, TBH.

a decent fuzz pedal will be more than enough to get that sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
just about anything brian may plays. nobody will ever get his tone cause of that darn red pecial. shit is amazing.

joe perry has some good ones.

some distortion tones really get to me like Mick Mars's tone on if i die tomorrow and most of his good stuff. Dr. Feelgood. he has incredible bottom end and such a good tone. and hes playing it off a strat....like not a superstrat, a regualr one with mods. impressive. dude has a rig and some gifted hands.
Quote by ikey_
just about anything brian may plays. nobody will ever get his tone cause of that darn red pecial. shit is amazing.

joe perry has some good ones.

some distortion tones really get to me like Mick Mars's tone on if i die tomorrow and most of his good stuff. Dr. Feelgood. he has incredible bottom end and such a good tone. and hes playing it off a strat....like not a superstrat, a regualr one with mods. impressive. dude has a rig and some gifted hands.

IIRC, he split his signal between a Garnet, an SLO and a Marshall for the bulk of the Feelgood sessions.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Obviously not the greatest tone ever, but i've always been intrigued how Korn get their Rectos to sound the way they do. It's a deceptively hard tone to replicate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRADuubGUK8

Its the tone in Ballerina by Steve Vai, specifically in this live version.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Aug 11, 2010,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaR2JeqxQDY

from 3:58 - End

it's impossible. trust me. I've tried. and many other people. I can get in the ballpark with a ton of tweaking. but it's just one of those tones that the planets aligned on imo.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Obviously not the greatest tone ever, but i've always been intrigued how Korn get their Rectos to sound the way they do. It's a deceptively hard tone to replicate

Agreed and I'm a pretty big Korn freak. It sounds like it would be simple on paper but getting the tone is something else.

Obviously I'm pretty mind bent on how 311, Jimmy Page, Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix all get their tone too.
Quote by AxSilentxLine

put a speaker in a drawer. fill the speaker with marbles. close said drawer.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Agreed and I'm a pretty big Korn freak. It sounds like it would be simple on paper but getting the tone is something else.

Obviously I'm pretty mind bent on how 311, Jimmy Page, Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix all get their tone too.

Don't make me break out that thread on The Gear Page .

Korn's Recto tone is actually really amazing. I used to be a massive Korn freak, and I could never figure that tone out. Also, The Sword has an amazing stoner tone, and I can't figure how to get it.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
The Sword's lead guitarist has said in a couple magazines (Guitar World, etc) that band uses Orange OR50H, PPC412HP8 cab, and the Tiny Terror.

He also said that they modded the hell out of his OR50H and it doesn't even have a master volume anymore. I think he has a Metal Muff in front of it too. Pretty badass tones there.
Trey Anastasio's tone on "You Enjoy Myself" and the solo from Dr. John's "Right Place, Wrong Time" have always been one of those "close-but-not-quite" tones for me. Same Goes for Dickey Betts' tone, especially on "Jessica" and "Blue Sky". It seems simple enough, Les Paul + neck pickup +Marshall styled amp, but it's never close enough.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
Trey Anastasio's tone on "You Enjoy Myself" and the solo from Dr. John's "Right Place, Wrong Time" have always been one of those "close-but-not-quite" tones for me. Same Goes for Dickey Betts' tone, especially on "Jessica" and "Blue Sky". It seems simple enough, Les Paul + neck pickup +Marshall styled amp, but it's never close enough.

I have never gotten any neck pup through a Marshall type amp to sound like Dickey, nowhere close. And that has always made me sad.
--

--
Blergh. I remember that video.
--

--
Quote by coolstoryangus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1qCczGgSxw

n00bs!

This is real MIND WRECKING tone.
I've seen the entire 1 hour or so video. I'm 99% convinced that Henry Kaiser did the most epic line of blow known to man before making it.

And yet, TGP still gushes about how good old man Dumble's tone is in that video.
Even though he totally ripped off Just Got Paid...

EDIT: Wtf?? Joey Jordinson got voted "Best Drummer of the Last 25 Years"?

Man, I wish Top lists were compiled by people with actual ears.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Aug 12, 2010,
The funniest thing with that video is everyone on youtube calling fake on it because of the pitch shifting or whatevers on it so it doesnt look like he's playing the same notes.
No its not close to fake, the entire video is up in parts, Henry Kaiser is just wasted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRK6c7uXvJE

at 3:15. 5 freakin overdubs.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by coolstoryangus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1qCczGgSxw

n00bs!

This is real MIND WRECKING tone.

You clearly don't understand this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTj08qTwGw&feature=related
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
....must.....resist.....posting.....crystal...lettuce....experiment....from....1986.....can't....be ....done...

KKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

^This man has more win than you can poke a stick at.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC--AW2ISec&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRkcf67e-Go&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HopWZ4d7C3A&feature=related

Well actually just about every guitar tone on this whole album is weird. I just can't put my finger on it - even at times where it sounds fairly "normal", like a standard distorted tone, there's still some really weird overtones going on that you have to listen carefully for.

not that it really matters.. i have no intention of copying this tone, it's just one of those things where i'm fascinated as to how it worked and want to try to re-create it just to see if i can. It's weird as hell. In fact i'll be surprised if anyone can even recognise the guitar tone in "i'm bugged"...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Page 1 of 3