Page 3 of 55
I have a Desire HD- great phone.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Quote by LordBishek

Sexier how? In terms of widgets, or theming?

Just whatever would make my phone usage more convenient and enjoyable I suppose. I have no idea what to do.
Quote by Blackbullet

+1

Amazing piece of kit, love mine to bits.

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Just whatever would make my phone usage more convenient and enjoyable I suppose. I have no idea what to do.

Alright, so are we talking aesthetics, or widgets? Looking at mine, is there anything that you like that you'd like further explanation of?

If I may suggest, check out the screenshots thread on the XDA forums for whatever your phone is. That's the best way of getting ideas about customisation. And a lot of custom widgets and themes and apps crop up there before they are available on the market - if they become available at all.
I've got an HTC EVO 4G running Cyanogenmod 7. Thing's a beast. Fast as phuck hardware and 4g is insane.

Cynaogenmod should be required for all android users. It's that great.

Other sweet apps are WidgetLocker (lets you put widgets on the lock screen and customize the lockscreen). Dropbox is a godsend for a college student. The Kindle app is good if you like to read. Pandora for obvious reasons. FxCamera is my favorite third party camera app. The stock camera could use some work. And ofc the Barcode Scanner is a great tool for the budget conscious.

Free/cheap apps are available to let you customize the Android UI in so many different ways. Android is really great with personalization. XDA forums will get you started.
Last edited by Seref at May 9, 2011,
Yep Dropbox is godsend.

Also do you know any good sites where I can get wallpapers for my phone?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by LordBishek
+1

Amazing piece of kit, love mine to bits.

Alright, so are we talking aesthetics, or widgets? Looking at mine, is there anything that you like that you'd like further explanation of?

If I may suggest, check out the screenshots thread on the XDA forums for whatever your phone is. That's the best way of getting ideas about customisation. And a lot of custom widgets and themes and apps crop up there before they are available on the market - if they become available at all.

Can you explain to me exactly what a widget is? >_>

Aesthetics would be cool, I like looking at pretty things. ^^

*looking at your phone* Waitttt, there's a winamp app now or what? Also, it looks really crisp man. If my phone was half as awesome as that I'd be happy.
^ A widget is like an app that is running on your screen that you don't have to launch. Like, a clock widget. You place the clock wherever you want on the screen and it runs there. There are music widgets, informational widgets, social networking widgets...

Think of them like apps that are running on your homescreens. Apps that you don't have to click the icon and load to use.
Quote by Blackbullet

Same here (Inspire 4g is the U.S. Version). Rooted and running the cyanogen mod 7 nightly builds. I used to overclock to 1.5 but it wasted battery so I stick with 1.3 and it's great. PSX games run at full speed.
Quote by Seref
I've got an HTC EVO 4G running Cyanogenmod 7. Thing's a beast. Fast as phuck hardware and 4g is insane.

Cynaogenmod should be required for all android users. It's that great.

Other sweet apps are WidgetLocker (lets you put widgets on the lock screen and customize the lockscreen). Dropbox is a godsend for a college student. The Kindle app is good if you like to read. Pandora for obvious reasons. FxCamera is my favorite third party camera app. The stock camera could use some work. And ofc the Barcode Scanner is a great tool for the budget conscious.

Free/cheap apps are available to let you customize the Android UI in so many different ways. Android is really great with personalization. XDA forums will get you started.

i have oxygen running on my desire

oxygen is extremely clean, close to stock android but not quite fully stock, it runs so smooth i havent bothered to try a new rom
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by Albino Uprising
Eligible for upgrade (verizon)

waht get!?!?!

samsung galaxy s2

the thing is a beautiful beast. the biggest standout phone since hte evo. dual core, very good screen, just read some reviews about it :p
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-review/

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I have an HTC desire. Standard no modded OS since...I will void my warranty and I am afraid that I will mess up modding the firmware .
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by rock.freak667
I have an HTC desire. Standard no modded OS since...I will void my warranty and I am afraid that I will mess up modding the firmware .

i rooted mine, and i have hte stock software updater to put the telus software back on when needed, which is soon as i have dust underneath the screen

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Amazing. I have an HTC Inspire. Hands down the best phone you can buy for $100, and one of the few with a dual core processor. I haven't done any rooting or any of that crap to it, it's just unnecessary. Essentials are a task manager and Where's My Droid, and that's it.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Can you explain to me exactly what a widget is? >_>

Aesthetics would be cool, I like looking at pretty things. ^^

*looking at your phone* Waitttt, there's a winamp app now or what? Also, it looks really crisp man. If my phone was half as awesome as that I'd be happy.

A widget is basically a little app that sits on your desktop (or homescreen on an android phone) and dynamically changes. An example is the clock. Probably the simplest widget, all it does is sit there and updates itself. Other widgets do other things, for example, the calendar, the facebook widget and the winamp control.

Theming is a bit more difficult on Android phones, but not impossible and relatively straightforward once you get the hang of it...but there is a learning curve.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
i rooted mine, and i have hte stock software updater to put the telus software back on when needed, which is soon as i have dust underneath the screen

I'd actually take the time to see how to root it, but I don't think I fully utilize my phone enough to warrant installing a new OS.
Quote by Ganoosh
Amazing. I have an HTC Inspire. Hands down the best phone you can buy for $100, and one of the few with a dual core processor. I haven't done any rooting or any of that crap to it, it's just unnecessary. Essentials are a task manager and Where's My Droid, and that's it.

Two things.
The inspire isn't dual core and you couldn't fathom what your missing out on. Gingerbread doesn't even need a task killer. It's well worth rooting just to activate tethering without paying 45$ a month.
Last edited by matt-attack at May 9, 2011,
Quote by rock.freak667
I'd actually take the time to see how to root it, but I don't think I fully utilize my phone enough to warrant installing a new OS.

with a desire its very easy, you use rEVOked3 and it does everything for you, its as simple as googling rEVOked3 rooter and following the instructions

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by matt-attack
Same here (Inspire 4g is the U.S. Version). Rooted and running the cyanogen mod 7 nightly builds. I used to overclock to 1.5 but it wasted battery so I stick with 1.3 and it's great. PSX games run at full speed.

I don't like Cyanogenmod roms much. I had one on my old Backflip for a week, went back to jrodds rom, then when I got my HTC inspire 4g, I tried the cyanogen for it, didn't like it and went to an optimized/rooted stock rom. TPC's optimized ROM to be exact.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by Ganoosh

Rooting is unnecessary until you actually do it.

Essentials are definitely NOT a task manager - do not use them with any android build above Froyo! They are detrimental to the operation of the OS - Froyo, Gingerbread and all future builds handle task-killing safely - not only are task-killers unnecessary, they severely impact the OS work.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
with a desire its very easy, you use rEVOked3 and it does everything for you, its as simple as googling rEVOked3 rooter and following the instructions

I shall try it one day or look into it more.
Quote by shaggydogJV
I don't like Cyanogenmod roms much. I had one on my old Backflip for a week, went back to jrodds rom, then when I got my HTC inspire 4g, I tried the cyanogen for it, didn't like it and went to an optimized/rooted stock rom. TPC's optimized ROM to be exact.

The first time I tried CM I thought it was absolute crap and switched back to android revolution. But I went back for a day for some reason and wasn't able to download a different rom over the weekend due to my slow home connection. I started messing around with the settings and learning how to use it. Haven't gone back yet.

I'll admit that when you first load CM7 it's slow and just plain ugly. And It's just not for some people as well.
Quote by matt-attack
The first time I tried CM I thought it was absolute crap and switched back to android revolution. But I went back for a day for some reason and wasn't able to download a different rom over the weekend due to my slow home connection. I started messing around with the settings and learning how to use it. Haven't gone back yet.

I'll admit that when you first load CM7 it's slow and just plain ugly. And It's just not for some people as well.

+1, It's pretty ugly. I themed almost immediately.

Hmm, I might put together a guide to theming.
hey guys so I've got a bit of a problem on my phone. So I downloaded an app today and I got a message saying my phone storage is low. But when i check my SD card space I still have like 12GB of space on my SD card. So I assume all the apps I've downloaded have been saving on my internal phone storage and not on the SD card. Is there a way to move my apps to the SD card or are they suppose to save on the internal phone storage?
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
I just got an HTC desire too, where does it say they're getting updated to 2.2?

EDIT: And btw, I'm only paying £15 a month for mine

Also, epic apps:

Android booster
Android assistant
Leo's RC Simulator
Stupid Zombies
Google Goggles
Scrambled Net
Jambox
My Tracks

Android assistant and booster have some stuff the other doesn't have and vice versa so between them you're done for most of the system tool apps you'd want, the only others I'd recommend are Network Monitor (good for keeping an eye on how much of your data allowance you're using) and Automatic Memory Manager, which terminates certain programmes for you if memory gets too low.

RssDemon is also good for podcasts if you want one you don't have to pay for

Quote by Led Head
hey guys so I've got a bit of a problem on my phone. So I downloaded an app today and I got a message saying my phone storage is low. But when i check my SD card space I still have like 12GB of space on my SD card. So I assume all the apps I've downloaded have been saving on my internal phone storage and not on the SD card. Is there a way to move my apps to the SD card or are they suppose to save on the internal phone storage?

if you go onto Applications in Settings and Manage Apps you can go onto the App page and there's a "move to SD Card" button, you can't do it with all apps but you should be able to move all the larger apps to the SD card

EDIT 2: Oh and finally if you're looking for a good case TS I highly recommend the Case-Mate Barely There cases, doesnt add much bulk, protects the back, good quality, and I'd got 3 other cases before I got the Case-Mate, a leather one (which I use for bike riding as it completely protects it all round), a gel-plastic hybrid case thingy (was terrible, it was see through but against the white of my phone just looked s***) and a silicon one (very nice, only £1.50 and covers the whole phone except the screen)
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Last edited by archerygenious at May 19, 2011,
Quote by Led Head

Depends on what version of the OS you have. If you have 2.2(froyo) or above you can go into the settings menu and use the applications settings to move individual apps to the sd card. If you don't have 2.2 yet find out if you can upgrade through an official update or by rooting.
Quote by Led Head

What the others said, but I also think you need root access.
I've got a Galaxy 3 thats still on 2.1. Apparently an update's available through Samsung Kies (shittest software ever written) but it can't recognise a firmware update is available.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'm using Android 1.5 on my LG GW620. I'm not actually a massive fan, I find it a bit boring.

Anything less than 2.2 is pretty severely outdated in terms of capabilities now.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'm using Android 1.5 on my LG GW620. I'm not actually a massive fan, I find it a bit boring.

I wouldn't be either if I had 1.5. It's changed a lot since then.
Quote by LordBishek
Anything less than 2.2 is pretty severely outdated in terms of capabilities now.

Yeah I know

I don't know if I should get a new Android handset or get the Nokia E7. A physical keyboard is a must-have, but if Symbian's a dead OS I don't want to get stuck with it
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah I know

I don't know if I should get a new Android handset or get the Nokia E7. A physical keyboard is a must-have, but if Symbian's a dead OS I don't want to get stuck with it

No idea what's going to happen with Symbian. Android's still going from strength to strength, however, and there are plenty of good physical kb handsets available.
I don't own it, but I've been looking at it, and it looks pretty fricken sweet. Do want, the only problem is I'm poor and too young to get a job, by like 6 months. :\

I'd also probably end up hacking it to run Ubuntu. (I hate that term, just because of the connotations of it, but that's kinda what it is.)
Quote by LordBishek
No idea what's going to happen with Symbian. Android's still going from strength to strength, however, and there are plenty of good physical kb handsets available.

Yeah but none as pretty as this:

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah but none as pretty as this:

Looking at my own screenshots, I disagree
Quote by LordBishek
Looking at my own screenshots, I disagree

Yeah, symbian is pretty ugly, but you can mod it without rooting or anything.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah, symbian is pretty ugly, but you can mod it without rooting or anything.

True, fair enough. Mind you, a lot of the customisation I did in my screenshots didn't need root access.
Quote by LordBishek
True, fair enough. Mind you, a lot of the customisation I did in my screenshots didn't need root access.

Yeah I don't knowwwww

I'll just stick to my 1.5 android phone until I can make my mind up.